Boston Herald- Narcs Freak on Showtime's "WEEDS"

stoney5506

Narcs freak on Weeds promos
By Laura Crimaldi
Sunday, August 20, 2006

A promotional campaign for Weeds, a cable television series about suburban pot smokers, went up in smoke in the eyes of federal drug agents last week after they witnessed children getting goodies from the Munchie Mobile in Boston.

I dont know that they should be marketing a show that glorifies marijuana to kids, said Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman Tony Pettigrew, who with another drug agent attended a Fanueil Hall appearance of the van Wednesday.

Pettigrew said he witnessed the van staff hand out Weeds promotional items, such as Frisbees and Dorito munchies, to children without consulting with their parents.

They gave a little bag of munchies and a Frisbee to a little girl in a stroller. My guess is that shes under 5, said Pettigrew.
The second season of the show premiered Monday on Showtime. Pettigrew said the Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition handed out materials at Fanueil Hall during the Weeds promotion.

With the heroin epidemic we have in New England, the fact that the DEA is worrying about Showtimes Weeds and that the Herald is bothering to have a reporter write about it is a sad commentary on the state of America, said Mass Cann treasurer Steven Epstein, who did not attend the Fanueil Hall event.

No one intentionally or willingly should have given anything to anyone under 21, said Showtime spokesman Stuart Zakim. We certainly recognize the sensitivity of the situation.

- lcrimaldi@bostonherald.com

Thast really cool it just shows hte medical benefits of marijuana more. My friend is the same way he has to toke bc he has A.D.D. and the weed calms ihm down enoguh to pay attention in class and get better grades. He thros all of his medicine away.

Back
Top Bottom