Botanicare, General Organics, or Nectar For The Gods?

Sbev

I cant decide to use botanicare, general organics, or nectar for the gods. And once i do decide is there anything i can use to spice it up a bit more? Looking for someone to help me with experience with at least two of these nutrient lines. Im growing in pro-mix with mycorrhizea soil as a medium. Hope you all can help! (Preferably someone with experience growing some top quality product with them. Not just someone who has used a product or two from them.)

I'm not sure about the other 2, but I've heard some great things about nectar of the gods. It's spose to be the best up and coming organic nutrient line based outta Oregon. After I use up the nutes I have that's what I'll be switching to.

I've tried all three, as well as many other lines of nutrients. I'm using only homemade organic soil and water at this point.

Nectar for the gods isn't all it's cracked up to be. I used it off and on for a year or two. It's super hot and impossible to flush out if you make a mistake. Be careful with it. I royally screwed some plants using that stuff at half strength. in coco/perlite. Don't run irrigation with this stuff either. It has way too much sediment material.

GenOrg is alright. It's a very basic line and that's all it should really be used for. GenOrg additives are a pricey, diluted, mess. They haven't figured out their additives yet -that's for sure. If you want to use this line, you should consider an organic bloom booster made by a different company.

Botanicare is probably the best out of the three. Although it's the "least organic", the products work the best and it's going to be your least expensive route (out of the three lines that you asked about). You can also use it in organic soil, which I really like about it. This is the one I've used the least out of the three, but I have alot of friends that have been using Botan for a while and they seem to love it. And their plants grow very fast.

Thread is very old at this point but on the defensive of NFTG. Nectar is not "very hot" so let's get that clear now. Nectar however is very reliant on pH. Dude who posted last "Iwiltthum", well his name speaks for itself. He or she more than likely had the pH wrong or doesnt understand measurements. Lastly NFTG is close to be fully organic, with that said it's is not detrimental to flush like the other two lines he describes. He was probably referring to the calcium build up on the top layer of the pots... You want the best terpene and pheno profiles, Nectar for the win.

Just a comment on that last comment. Iwiltfum - an extremely knowledgeable grower. Far more so than most on this forum. Check his journals and more of his posts if you dispute that. Great guy too.
:thumb:

Just a comment on that last comment. Iwiltfum - an extremely knowledgeable grower. Far more so than most on this forum. Check his journals and more of his posts if you dispute that. Great guy too.

He did (seems to have disappeared from the forum a couple years ago) seem like a nice guy, and tried to be helpful.

On the other hand... Now, the only journals I've looked at are the three listed in his .SIG (one of which I had to go hunt down due to the link being "404"), and they're from 2015, so things may have changed since then - as they can for most people - but. He griped, above (which is the post that CheiftainSeed was responding to) that the NftG line was "super hot," but I had a look on their website and the majority of their products appear to be not real strong at all. And Iwiltfum, around the time that he made the above post, was learning what happened when he used too much MOAB, which is - or at least was - a really strong monopotassium phosphate (only) product, lol, with an NPK value of 0-52-32... and, considering the cost of buying the actual ingredient in it instead of a branded product, outrageously expensive to boot. <SHRUGS> Maybe he used the line in a soil that was already chocked full of nutrients, used it on a strain that was new to him (we all know that some just don't tolerate anything approaching the "average" level of nutrients) or, IDK, maybe he was just having a bad day, who knows?

He griped about it having too much sediment material to run through the kind of feed lines that we tend to use. I'm guessing that's because it's a pretty "thick" mostly-organic line that even the company that makes the stuff warns people to keep constantly shaken / stirred while mixing/testing/etc. and states that it isn't suitable for drippers/emitters. So... you know... if you walk into a restaurant and order - and pay for - a steak, and someone slaps a baloney sandwich down in front of you, sure, get pissed. But if you're buying a baloney sandwich and that's what you get, don't expect steak. Er... Not that I'm comparing the quality of this line to baloney, lol, just that a person shouldn't expect something to be otherwise than what it's advertised as being.

I don't know how the product line performs, personally, as I've never been all that interested in "organics." I do know that the stuff is a calcium-based line, and that (from my reading/research only) ones of this nature do seem to require a slightly different approach for best results. Or maybe not, again, that's just what I got from reading a few years back when I found out that the company gives out free samples of their product line to everyone who wants them - and has been doing so for at least the last six years. All people have to pay is shipping. The company used to even pay that, but I guess they got tired of paying people to grow dope, lol.

I did read a *bunch* of reviews and skimming through grow journals when I was thinking about ordering the sample set, because even free stuff isn't worth the cost if it's not any good. A couple people mentioned that the stuff was pretty strong. The vast majority mentioned that they'd been using it for a number of grows, were happy with it, raved about the health of their plants, fragrance, taste, et cetera. Then the person I gave a box of nutrients to some time ago ended up realizing that he still had most of them in the back of a closet, and offered to give them back. So I ended up not needing any after all, and pretty much forgot about the brand until someone necrof*ckingposted this thread back to life for some unknown reason :hmmmm: .

So, for anyone curious enough to read it, since they can now do so without the aid of a shovel ( ;) ), here's my take on things: You can grow pot with just about any nutrient line on the planet. You can grow good pot - or I should say you can grow pot good (well) with pretty much any nutrient line that has multiple components and allows you to tailor your nutrients to fit the needs of your plants. For that matter, there's a thread on freakin' Osmocote Plus, that time release one-part nutrient, that's been ongoing for nine years and 1,300+ posts because, guess what, you can grow cannabis with the stuff, lol. Other than that... Since the time when this thread originally had a pulse, the Scotts Miracle-Gro corporate monster bought both General Hydroponics and Botanicare, so if your only choice happens to be the above three brands, choose Nectar for the Gods 100 times out of 100. Or take a multivitamin early in the morning, drink two or three glasses of water over the next couple hours, p!ss into a gallon jug, fill it the rest of the way up with water, and use that to feed your plants. . . .

Other than that... Since the time when this thread originally had a pulse, the Scotts Miracle-Gro corporate monster bought both General Hydroponics and Botanicare, so if your only choice happens to be the above three brands, choose Nectar for the Gods 100 times out of 100. Or take a multivitamin early in the morning, drink two or three glasses of water over the next couple hours, p!ss into a gallon jug, fill it the rest of the way up with water, and use that to feed your plants. . . .

I started using their line little over a year ago, as the only pay for shipping for a sample box got me to try it as I was trying to move away from the GO corporate monster products line. My only gripe is their measurements are different, most is in teaspoons but one is in tablespoons and one is in ounces, and it does settle pretty fast but I just have to shake up my jug a few times while watering. But it's an Oregon company and I live in Oregon so one of them try and support locally or sorta locally anyway ;) and stay away from supporting "big chemical" when I can. I have used up the sample quart bottles and have bought more now, so their marketing worked with me.

Yep. Experiences vary, and everyone is wrong some of the time, etc. I was just sticking up for Iwltfum- pointing out, in response to the other guy, that he definitely knows what ph is, and how to measure, and how to grow weed. Whatever the reason he wasn’t impressed with the product, it’s not because he’s completely incompetent- which was basically the conclusion presented.

‘I disagree- therefore you are an idiot’. It’s basic human nature- makes me laugh, that sort of linear thinking. Maybe we’ll evolve?

We seem to have thrown a serious monkey wrench into that whole "evolution" mechanism. First, by having the ability to significantly modify our environment (and using it) and, second, by using medical science/technology and other methods to help ensure that those examples of the species which would otherwise not survive long enough to breed... do. While this is nice from an "individual" point of view (little Johnny lives, Johnny's mommie doesn't spend the next 40 years wandering around in a nightmare world, etc.), it probably isn't a great thing for the species.

I agree with your statements/conclusions, as usual, WC. There are great products that may not "fit us" well, may not be and/or perform in the exact way we expect them to, et cetera. What is best (or even good) might not necessarily be best for ME, at least all of the time.

I'm glad to see that you are still active on the forum, almost five years after joining it.

Thank you TC, that’s kind of you to say that :) I am still on the forum, sort of.... Not sure for how much longer. Holy crap it sure has changed a lot in the eight or nine years since I first started looking at it...

Evolution has to win out in the long run doesn’t it? But yeah I hear you. One local alcoholic abusive womanizer loser comes to mind - he has about a dozen kids with five different women. Some of these kids reaching adulthood now with the same mental problems, and having their own kids. Really makes me wonder WTF...

I haven’t used this Nectar product. But I used GH a bunch and agree with what Iwltfum said about it. Mostly I’ve used Botanicare. It works well and is simple. I only buy the Grow, Bloom, and Cal Mag. None of the extras. I’m not at all happy that it has been bought out by friends of Monsanto. Slowly working on changing to some other nutrients, mainly for that reason, but also because I’m tired of buying water.

There are several dry nutrient products. Mega Crop is fairly new, I think. Its formulation appears to be evolving. I just learned I'd be getting some, so I'll have it to play with. Jack's and Peters Professional lines have several products for different plants / needs. And they've been used for many years for all sorts of plants, including cannabis. Websites/stores, such as Custom Hydro Nutrients sell all kinds of dry products, e.g., a four-pound bottle of potassium silicate for $43 ("0.7 grams in one gallon of water yeilds 98ppm SiO2 or 46ppm Si, and 49ppm K," LMAO) for people who don't see the logic(?) in paying that much or more for a tablespoon of the stuff premixed into a gallon jug of water with a fancy label stuck on it. That store also sells "premixed" combo dry products from Greenleaf Nutrients (maker of Mega Crop), Peters, et cetera).

Mixing one's own hydroponic and/or soil nutrients from the elemental/mineral dry components is nothing new. The very first book I ever read that discussed hydroponics had a chapter on doing so, along with recipes - and its copyright was, IIRC, 1972. Most of us just don't bother because... lazy, lol? Lack of personal knowledge, maybe, although as mentioned such knowledge has been commonly available longer than half the members of the average cannabis forum have been alive. The biggest issue might be the initial buy-in costs. That bottle of potassium silicate might last a lifetime - but it's $43, and only one of several such components that would need to be purchased just to get started. Then, of course, you might never have to spend another cent on nutrients. BUT... a person can purchase enough stuff from the big nutrient companies for a grow or two for not much more than the cost of one bulk dry component bottle. Kind of a cannabis grower's example of how poor people get screwed cannot take advantage of the best deals, I suppose.

I have been trying quite diligently to find basic nutrients like that in Canada but so far there aren’t so many options here as there are in the US. When I do find stuff it’s mostly in 40-80
pound bags - costing something like $40 with $350+ shipping to my place. (I’m not joking). That’ll change too though- some enterprising person will start dividing up the bags and selling on ebay or something.

Until recently Mega Crop was only available in Canada in 10 kg bags. Now they’ve got smaller amounts. A 500 gram bag is $12 and the shipping is ‘only’ $42. So - a 350% shipping rate which I find a little annoying on principal, but still worth thinking about. I guess. Or not. :(

Yeah, that kind of thing would be almost pure profit on eBay. Might already be happening, lol.

Do you live anywhere near the border? With shipping like that, might end up being cheaper to rent a motorhome, drive it across the border, unzip every cushion, stick them in a dumpster, and replace them with bags of nutrients :rolleyes: , then just buy new seat foam upon your return.

Of course, that's just an observation - NOT a suggestion.

Need a local group to make an order and have it freighted to a terminal or business with a dock, maybe, IDK.

Yeah yeah. Great ideas dude. :thumb:
Come to think of it I am physically fairly close to the Alaskan border, but in reality there’s no real easy way to get there and get my hands on that all important Cheap American Stuff. It’s a long boat ride, and a very uncertain welcome on the other end.

Alaska, LMAO. Might be cheaper to just order it regularly, then. I've heard horror stories about costs of things in that state (due, one assumes, to transport costs).

Back
Top Bottom