Botrytis concerns

MadMike2

Buds all look healthy like this first pic

The second with brown on top concerns me about possible botrytis:

IMG_20220924_075433439.jpg

IMG_20220924_075504755.jpg

After further examination, I saw that top was dead, and dead plant matter attracts fungus. I sacrificed it.

IMG_20220924_111331613.jpg

IMG_20220924_111229189_HDR.jpg

In my experience botrytis/bud rot usually takes place further down the bud where material is more dense. Where your concerns pertain to are more on the tops where air flow is abundant.

Being an experienced outdoor grower I would suspect a pest getting to them. Cabbage moths are the main culprit for me when I would find dead tops. Inspect the stalk carefully and see if there are chewed spots right below the dead top.

The worms/pupae will hatch and start crawling around the tops eating trichomes and sometimes gnaw straight through the stalk and kill an entire top; resulting in the condition you are experiencing.

I am not saying it's what you got, or what's happened. Just something to look for. Did you spray your crop with anything to ward against pests? At this point in the grow I probably is too late. Just for future reference.

In my experience botrytis/bud rot usually takes place further down the bud where material is more dense. Where your concerns pertain to are more on the tops where air flow is abundant.

Being an experienced outdoor grower I would suspect a pest getting to them. Cabbage moths are the main culprit for me when I would find dead tops. Inspect the stalk carefully and see if there are chewed spots right below the dead top.

The worms/pupae will hatch and start crawling around the tops eating trichomes and sometimes gnaw straight through the stalk and kill an entire top; resulting in the condition you are experiencing.

I am not saying it's what you got, or what's happened. Just something to look for. Did you spray your crop with anything to ward against pests? At this point in the grow I probably is too late. Just for future reference.
Thank you. The thought entered my mind too. Though no caterpillars were seen on that particular plant, I did have another Kush plant where I would periodically remove a caterpillar or two upon inspections. I think you are right about the culprit.

Dug a little deeper into one bud I snipped and found a pupae, snipped another bud this morning to find some rot, but salvaged most of it. I'm careful to sterilize gardening shears, trimmers with 99% alcohol as to not spread disease among plants. I'm wondering if I should just pull them.

IMG_20220925_105028041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220925_094014800_HDR.jpg

Thank you. The thought entered my mind too. Though no caterpillars were seen on that particular plant, I did have another Kush plant where I would periodically remove a caterpillar or two upon inspections. I think you are right about the culprit.
That sucks I hope you can salvage most of it. Good Luck. CaL🍀

Dug a little deeper into one bud I snipped and found a pupae, snipped another bud this morning to find some rot, but salvaged most of it. I'm careful to sterilize gardening shears, trimmers with 99% alcohol as to not spread disease among plants. I'm wondering if I should just pull them.

IMG_20220925_105028041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220925_094014800_HDR.jpg
Did you look at it under a scope? Maybe not as bad as you think.Idk? I’m still kind of new to this.

The pic is a pupae I cut upon inspection.

IMG_20220925_104133062_HDR.jpg
Ya know it seems like every frickn pest in a mile attacks a outdoors grow. I’ve been dealing with leaf miners and thrips and if a slack off a little they’re back with a vengeance. Good luck bro.

Trichome cloudiness has to do with the effect/type of high you are going for. I prefer a more racey/energetic high so I harvest 50/50 to full cloudy. I do not appreciate a heavy sedating high.

Most members go for full on cloudy even to where they are getting amber. That is when the full potential and narcotic high is achieved. Both times are viable for cannabis consumers of varying degrees. Again it all depends on the type of high you are trying to achieve.

You can still get very elevated on 50/50 cloudy. I would usually harvest once some pistils/stigmas would start dying back on top. This served two purposes:
1) the first harvested buds would maintain the type of high I would prefer to have.
2) by the time I got to the rest and the end the trichomes would start to turn some amber.

Had I waited any longer I would miss the window for good smoke. I would usually be on my own with very little help. I would have to trim and cure ~9 lbs annually when I was growing. I have had to hang it up for a short while so we can get our lives established out of state (non legal).

Have you snipped a tester?
If you quick dry it you can get an idea what kind of high it is right now, even if you won't get a good idea of the flavour.
Yes, I am very high right now. Arthritic hip feels great. Harvested, picked and smoked a smaller bud from what's been hanging for 5 days. I only had to eliminate minimal bud from cabbage moth caterpillars. Nice floral, sweet grape-gas taste. This will be better after curing for a month or two. You guys are great, supportive friends of many on this forum. Even the ones who must get tired and impatient from answering many of the same questions perpetually. I have one more plant a couple weeks younger than the one harvested. Inspecting it daily.
🙂

Back
Top Bottom