Bottom watering good or bad?

BudSpuds

Ok I was wanting to know about bottom watering and if it is better than watering from the top? I have 3 pineapple kush in veg for 8 weeks. Growth has been painfully slow. They were just transplanted from pots into the bags that drain really well with fox farm ocean forest and perlite mix. In case they became root bound. The light set up is 1 250w 6500k CFL bulb is 15,000 lumens and 8 23w CFL equivalent 5000k bulbs 1600 lumens. Total 27,800 lumens. PH is in range and plants look healthy. Any feedback on the grow would be greatly appreciated. Would nutes be more beneficial just adding to the runoff catch? How much water would you add or is it a trial and error to find out how much to water so that it all gets sucked up? Thanks so much for the help on my last post already seeing them come alive!!!!
20160221_172342.jpg

Lumens are for humans. PAR is.. what you should focus on.

Anyways, I don't know much about bottom feeding but from what I understand it's overall not a good idea.

Those plants look pretty healthy.. You may just be seeing the kind of results you're gonna see under cfl.
You could probably push them a little further, but you're getting close to the flipping point I think!

As for the whole nutes/runoff section of your question, I'm not really sure what you're asking..
But definitely make sure you allow runoff when you water, 10% people say, this is very important. Running water through your medium pulls out excess salts and buildup and stuff. A little runoff goes a long way. And don't let a pot sit in the runoff.. The soil will reabsorb it.

PS if you're gonna flower in there you might wanna try adding even more light. Every bulb counts!

Watering from the bottom can work but has many bad attributes and is very easy to mess up. It is very poor usage of the root system and can make it very easy to kill the plants. There are plenty of people who do it ...doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I could go on and on with why it is bad but I aint going to tonight.

If it were the right way to go then we all would be doing it and it would be considered "the way" it is done.

You definitely need more light..I'm using CFL too and your wattage is about the same as mine and I'm only growing 1 plant..if I was you I would add at least 4 or 5 more 23w bulbs.and try to mix the spectrum up some..when your flower put some 6500k in too.I'm using 1 125w 2700k,2 40w 2700k and 6 23w 2700k,two of the 23w are 6500k.and this is what I have done with cfl's
20160224_032124.jpg
20160224_173612.jpg
20160223_234729.jpg
20160222_220858.jpg

Back
Top Bottom