bought a kief compactor.

KB.BUD

why does it get stuck so easily? i wish it came off in a nice tab form but it doesn't... am i doing something wrong????

Re: baught a keif compactor...

my buddy has one, he never mentioned it sticking. he took over a gram of keif and compressed it and then left it by his heater and then compressed it more, and it turned into a nice sized hockey puck of hash. try it

Have no fear, RooRman is here. :grinjoint:

Is this the Space Case Pollen press or equivelent model? The one with a metal body, two delrin pins/posts, and two metal caps? If so, there are many tricks you can do to make this press work better.

#1. Cut two small circular pieces of clear rolling paper the size of the heads of the pins/posts. Put one on the top of the inner pin before putting the keif inside and then add the other to the top. This will prevent the pressed hash from sticking to the pins. Simply peel off the pieces of clear rolling paper off and youv'e got a nice intact piece of hash. And if you can't get all the cello paper off for some reason, who cares, it's meant to be smoked anyway! The idea is to use the clear papers as liners for the pins.

#2. With the caps on and the keif pressing tight inside, tape over the creases on the press where the caps meet the body of the press. Then run the entire press under hot water. After getting the press nice and warm, dry it off and remove the tape. Continue pressing tighter, the heat should allow you to go futhur now. This will allow the trichomes to meld together more easily, eliminating the chances of a powdery crumbly hash. I have tried a space heater as well, the hot water is faster and cannot get too hot as to degrade potency.

#3. For maximum pressure, don't use the caps. Put the press in a vice with the caps off and use this to press the hell out of it. Better leverage equals more force equals tighter and slower burning hash.

As you can probably tell, I've used this thing alot. :peace:

Re: bought a kief compactor...

Note about the space cases: DO NOT HEAT IN AN OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did this and got it too hot, the hash must have been liquidy and ran up the pins sealing them in place for good. I might have also used pliers to make it even tighter. After trying everything else i decided to heat it again until it would come apart. well it didn't come apart until the pins melted. So that was the end of that.

This is why I heat using hot tap water only. It gets the press only as warm as is necessary to aid in forming the hash. It cannot get hot enough to degrade the hash's potency, or worse yet, cause damage to the press.

yea its a space case and thanks roor man you really cleared that up!! now this thing works perfect I just tried it out!

I had a feeling you would do better with these tips, this is why I put them on here for all to see. This should come in the form of instructions with the Space Case press because without these methods it really doesn't work very well at all. :peace:

Rep. points always welcome! :cheesygrinsmiley:

yea they should tell you how to do that when you buy one otherwise it kinda just pissed me off lol...

I also have 2 keif tabs the same size one i did the hot water (.9g) and one that is the same size that i just did w/o water (.6g) they are exactly the same height but the hot water lets you compress .3 more! just a lil extra info!

The "kief compactors" are hyped up!!!! I love it when people talk about this "special" tool, you just purchased something that a company pays $5 to make that you could have easily made yourself. I make kief bars using a press and 1/4'' tubing total cost $10 bucks and it works far better that any of the shit they try to market. I feel that a lot of these 420 items are meant to take advantage of the consumer rather that provide a working or necessary product.

To each his own. I paid $35 for my press and I don't condsider this expensive in the least bit, also seeing as it is built to last forever. If you made something that works just as well for a third of the price then more power to you. :peace:

yea i kind of like my 420 tools lol... I don't really want a vice in my room lol but I can see how you could make one cheaper..

Man wish I woulda come across this before last night.
I used mine without the tips here and yep it stuck to pins and when I finally got the stuff off it kinda crumpled up. Still smokes nice but not the nice little chunk I was looking for. :bong:

One more question for the knowledgeable here. How long should you leave in press?? I left mine overnight (read that somewhere).

I would be wrong in guessing but using a foot press method for 30-45 minutes in a clear piece of celophane has been great for many years> I prefer the raw kief as it smokes cleaner to me not being pressed, and only a foot press now for Mrs Bubble>

i always just used a cigarette cellophane, rolling pin, and an over on low heat. just heat and roll till you got a nice rock. always felt weird to be smokin the stuff :s

i always just used a cigarette cellophane, rolling pin, and an over on low heat. just heat and roll till you got a nice rock. always felt weird to be smokin the stuff :s
compactors are super cheap. I got one for less than $15.00 after s/h. No risk of plastic getting left behind either.

Have no fear, RooRman is here. :grinjoint:

Is this the Space Case Pollen press or equivelent model? The one with a metal body, two delrin pins/posts, and two metal caps? If so, there are many tricks you can do to make this press work better.

#1. Cut two small circular pieces of clear rolling paper the size of the heads of the pins/posts. Put one on the top of the inner pin before putting the keif inside and then add the other to the top. This will prevent the pressed hash from sticking to the pins. Simply peel off the pieces of clear rolling paper off and youv'e got a nice intact piece of hash. And if you can't get all the cello paper off for some reason, who cares, it's meant to be smoked anyway! The idea is to use the clear papers as liners for the pins.

#2. With the caps on and the keif pressing tight inside, tape over the creases on the press where the caps meet the body of the press. Then run the entire press under hot water. After getting the press nice and warm, dry it off and remove the tape. Continue pressing tighter, the heat should allow you to go futhur now. This will allow the trichomes to meld together more easily, eliminating the chances of a powdery crumbly hash. I have tried a space heater as well, the hot water is faster and cannot get too hot as to degrade potency.

#3. For maximum pressure, don't use the caps. Put the press in a vice with the caps off and use this to press the hell out of it. Better leverage equals more force equals tighter and slower burning hash.

As you can probably tell, I've used this thing alot. :peace:

Excellent Post RooRman,

Aqua Lab Tech

Back
Top Bottom