Boycie's Grow - Unknown Strain - LED & Hydro - First Grow Journal

Thanks buddy! Feels good to be supported. Especially on a forum with such an overwhelming source of information and fellow first-time journalers ;-)

There are alott of talented growers here for sure Boycie...Rifle is good. SweetSue is great and just a sweetheart to boot. Theres a guy here named LightAddict here who is growing a literal globe of herb!! Just sick skills here allll over. Look at this thread here. Its one of my faves!!! Come on folks let's see some eye candy! Here's some for ya

Am I doing something wrong here to get no response whatsoever except for Riffleman and Germinator (which is much appreciated).

I see first time growers journals (just like mine) with close to 100 replies.

Just wondering....

Just got her buddy after hearing about your grow from Riffleman, what a great guy to learn from::);) I do follow his journal and want eventually bang out a DWC setup and go that route, so I figured maybe stick around here and watch you rip it up! Seriously impressed so far bro, subbed in for the big show, keep up the great work;)

Hi y'all,

First of all, thanks for all the kind words and tips. I'm reading the suggested journals as we speak.

I change res on Saturdays so not a real update yet. Still some thought...

All of them are growing significantly and the two in training are doing really well.

Overall canopy is at around 25cm and light 1 foot above that. I know it's low but I'm keeping a real close eye for light burn.

Some concerns though:

- My canopy is pretty bushy and crowded at the moment and little concerned plants are creating too much shadow on themselves. Plus I found some sweat on one of the leaves yesterday.

420-magazine-mobile1500842469.jpg

- So right upper corner is the MAinlining one which already has eight established nodes. I probably won't touch that one anymore.

420-magazine-mobile225214332.jpg

- Left lower corner (closest to camera) is severe training and bending to keep the canopy flat and wide. Has been defoliate since last week.

420-magazine-mobile3875477.jpg

- 2 other ones are untouched except slightly bent to the outside to minimise touching other plants.

So 2 main concerns:

1. Anything I can do to keep the canopy thin? Should I defoliate all of them or leave them be?

2. I kinda need them to be gone/invisible for 1 day on 18/06 (long story) So two options:

- Can I leave them in total darkness and still water for +24hours without hurting them too much in flower?

OR

- Being almost 4 weeks in veg and have approx. over 8 weeks left. Could I harvest them by then? If yes, how much longer do I keep them in VEG for? Is it better to have long Veg and short flower periods or the other way around? I have approx. two feet in height left in my cupboard.

Any assistance for this very specific dilemma is highly appreciated. Thanks again for the nice comments!

Next update coming weekend.
Cheers

I doubt you can bring them to harvest before June 18th. Once you flip the lights to 12/12 for bloom it's a waiting game that only the plant can finish.

Yes you can think the canopy for better light penetration....during veg.

I have had to leave them in the dark for a day before, without problems. Not sure about the still water, you might have to turn on the pump for a few minutes every chance you get.

It also sounds like you could use a little more air circulation/ extraction to remove the dew on the leaves. That could lead to mold later on.

Ok thanks for the advice.

About the air ventilation, I have two decent sized and powered fans take the air in and out. On top of that I have a small sized desk fan that keeps the canopy moving slightly. All of them running 24/7.

Could dew happen due to touching leaves? Despite having a good air circulation?

Ok thanks for the advice.

About the air ventilation, I have two decent sized and powered fans take the air in and out. On top of that I have a small sized desk fan that keeps the canopy moving slightly. All of them running 24/7.

Could dew happen due to touching leaves? Despite having a good air circulation?

Yeppers. :)

Ok I'll definitely try to keep my leaves separated. Might not be easy as it's not the biggest cupboard.

Also, if I manage to keep the bubblers and top feed on for a couple of minutes during those 24 hours. What about fresh air? Could I seal the cupboard for that period? I can imagine temp and humidity being a worry but would it hurt the plants that much?

This may be the biggest noob question ever and I think I know the answer... If I decide to ditch 2 plants due to the space issues, any educated way of telling which ones it should be?

Sorry for the many questions but you're helping me so much right now on specific issues that I haven't found immediate answers for in research.

Thanks again, a LOT

Cheers, working on the signature thing now but I'm at work.

If I push them into 12/12 tomorrow I would have over 8 weeks left for them to flower. Isn't that enough time for them to flower?

Sorry for the noob questions but this thing is stressing me out. The longer I think about it the more dangerous I found it to have the plants here on the 18th.

Cheers, working on the signature thing now but I'm at work.

If I push them into 12/12 tomorrow I would have over 8 weeks left for them to flower. Isn't that enough time for them to flower?

Sorry for the noob questions but this thing is stressing me out. The longer I think about it the more dangerous I found it to have the plants here on the 18th.

I rarely have a plant finish bloom in 8 weeks. But that varies with strain. Good luck. :)

I try and run my veg according to the rule of plant size doubling in flower..... so if you want or have only 45" of space you would put them in flower at say 20" or 25". Veg time is all up to you but like you said 8 weeks is about the standard for flower, I'd definitely get a jeweller s magnifying glass to watch trichome development/ maturity near the end. Look for around 80 milky 10-20 percent amber for a true feel on that strain, if you leave it longer it gets more "couch lockie" and less of an energetic high. So you actually have a lot of control on things as a grower throughout your s plants life to customize it to your likings.

Looks n pretty good my friend!!! Keep goin! :volcano-smiley:

Thank you everyone for your input.

New update:

Day 25 of veg

pH: 5.6
Ppm: 680
Res temp: 24* C
Room temp: 25* C

Light still approx. 1' from canopy. Still no sign of light burn. Should I increase the distance anyway?

Defoliated slightly and trained slightly more. It's quite obvious to me that the cupboard is getting too small. Decided to push the 12/12 cycle to next week.

1. The mainline plant:
Despite following the tutorial to grow 8colas, it definitely grew way more than that. Two main stems look really strong though.

420-magazine-mobile1729826707.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1577716737.jpg

2. Severe LST plant:

Despite breaking a main arm couple of days ago, looks really bushy and healthy and looks like it recovered totally.

420-magazine-mobile1557572174.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1259000490.jpg

420-magazine-mobile758732535.jpg

3. "Small" plant #1 and #2

Practically untouched except for bending it to the outside and some very slight defoliation.

Here is all of them together in the cupboard. Tried to separate them as much as possible and clear the canopy for deeper light penetration.

420-magazine-mobile470474057.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1384851510.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1950988387.jpg

Total defoliation on 3 plants
420-magazine-mobile1124831077.jpg

Any thoughts on my "crowded" space? Should I ditch some? If yes, any educated guesses on which ones?

I'm figuring this signature thing out but I'm on the app on iPhone and pic is broken ATM.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Cheers
B

Thing s look great over there!;) Ya might wanna check out" lollipoping" .... it's basically about cleaning up all that lower growth that won't amount to much and will increase air flow and push energy back up to the colas. Give er about a week or 5 days to adjust after the defol before ya switch..... mind you I topped a Cola a day before I switched to 12/12 and it's doing quite good. For the most part your plant will want to stretch up as opposed to out in flower and you ll see serious streatch in the first week or so. That might help you determine available space in your cabinet. A good friend of mine grew in pretty much that exact set up, and like us he was a rookie at this game, but pulled off some quality smoke!;);;:) The thing that made his grow perfect for that space was he did a SCROG..... I also did a scrog for my first plant but got away from it because I went perpetual and needed to move things quite regularly. All my gong show s are in my journal if you want to see me screw up like a token noob lol, but I found I learned the most from my mistakes and that's what makes these journals so useful. Hope this helps, enjoy.

Thanks. Scrog definitely makes sense to this setup and I had a look at lollipoping before.

One thing that I'm thinking is that the screen might make it quite difficult for me to do res-changes. I would have to untangle all plants out of the screen every time I need to be in my res. I use the water pump to empty the res.

I've learned so much already because of this grow. I'm even considering building a new cupboard with a different set of top feed lines which makes everything more accessible. Because right now it takes me a lot of time to get everything out and change out res.

You reckon I should keep all 4 of them in there?

Thanks again for the advice! Truly appreciate it.

Gee I wish I knew more about the physicality of your set up.... do you need to scrub your res when you clean/refresh it one a week? Was wondering because if ya didn't you might get away with just pumping out the old stuff without disturbing things much, or even a drain valve on the very bottom of the res..?
As for the 4 plants finishing in that cabinet, man o man from my limited knowledge on your set up, I d say yea if you pruned em up right and concentrated on the main colas, but if your going for bush maybe just 2 maybe 3. I may be wrong, it s kinda my thing I think sometimes, but I ve just seen space rapidly disappear in flower for my own plants because I topped multiple times, had major bush type attributes, lst/hst d the crap outta them and gave up a lot of control by doing that. I did find the SCROG sooo manageable when doing this first time growing.... and really all you'd need to do is one plant for that area and it would fill up nicely. Not sure if changing your res would be more manageable with just one plant or not, something to ponder.
Got me intrigued now, can't wait to see what you do, your a smart dude!:;) Good luck

Back
Top Bottom