Brah's 5 Gallon Hempy, Melon Fizz, Mars Hydro TSW 2000, Grow Journal

Day 9 Update: We have secondary leaves starting to form. The cotyledons had folded in half early on, and the underside of the fold was browning and had some (probably little prices of perlite) sus white stuff on them, so I snipped them off at the fold.

I also turned the Mars Hydro TSW2000 up about 10%. I'm planning on increasing the light output a little at a time over the next few days as Anita gets firmly established.

406.jpg

looks good but you're a little stretchy.. how high up is the light ?
at 30 % you can probably run at 24 inches, even with seedlings. if you're at 36 inches or higher i'd guess you could run closer to 50%
Agreed! I'm currently at 24 inches and just turned it up another 10%. I don't have a watt meter and the adjustment on the tsw2000 isnt very exact.

Day 9 Update: We have secondary leaves starting to form. The cotyledons had folded in half early on, and the underside of the fold was browning and had some (probably little prices of perlite) sus white stuff on them, so I snipped them off at the fold

don't snip the cots in the future. you can let them go until they shrivel to nothing and fall off. the first couple nodes are interdependent on the cots.

Agreed! I'm currently at 24 inches and just turned it up another 10%. I don't have a watt meter and the adjustment on the tsw2000 isnt very exact.

i run my entire grows at 18 - 24 inches and use a dimming function. it takes a bit of getting used to.

Great advice! Yeah I hated to do it, but it was starting to looking a bit like a mold taco. Out here in the bamboo forest if mold gets a foothold it's game over.

I consulted with the spirits, some books from my college days earning a botany degree, and decided it was the lesser of evils. My fault for p#$$/ footing around when I popped her using the dome/blurple combo.
don't snip the cots in the future. you can let them go until they shrivel to nothing and fall off. the first couple nodes are interdependent on the cots.

i run my entire grows at 18 - 24 inches and use a dimming function. it takes a bit of getting used to.
Definitely getting used to this dimmer... First full indoor grow since 2005. SO much has changed since then.

Daily Update Tile-01.png

conditions-01.png

Close Up.jpg

Scroggy Style.jpg

Hello 420 Fam!
It's been a very busy couple days here in the bamboo forest. We've been watering little Anita 2x a day, this seems to have helped speed up her slow start a bit. She will have her first set of true leaves pretty well developed by tomorrow morning. This signals the true start of this journal as Anita is proving to be a healthy little survivor who is moving into adulthood.

We danced naked under the moon in celebration last night. Then set up the first SCROG net. It is a little early, but we need to start planning now. We will need to fit a portable AC and possibly a dehumidifier in here too before this is all over. Also there's the question of where under the net to place the final bucket (probably going to end up in the front left corner for easy access). I had a long inspirational talk with Anita and she is very much looking forward to filling that net out.

Last week chose to remove 50% (already dead and brown) of each cotyledon which were folded in half and starting to develop mold in the fold. @bluter pointed out that that's a bad idea, and I normally agree. If I were in a hurry, or planning a shorter veg cycle it would not be worth the risk/potential impact. For those interested in why we want to protect cotyledons heres some sciency stuff:

Cotyledons are the first leaves produced by plants. Cotyledons are not considered true leaves and are sometimes referred to as "seed leaves," because they are actually part of the seed or embryo of the plant.1

The seed leaves serve to access the stored nutrients in the seed, feeding it until the true leaves develop and begin photosynthesizing.

From a study published at New Phytologist:

Cotyledon damage at the seedling stage affects growth and flowering potential in mature plants​

• Seedling herbivory is an important selective filter influencing patterns of plant community composition. Nevertheless, while many of the mechanisms governing seedling selection by herbivores are well established, the effects of tissue loss at the seedling stage on subsequent plant development are poorly understood.
  • Here we examined how the removal of 50 or ∼100% of cotyledon area from 7-d-old chalk grassland seedlings affected subsequent plant growth and flowering over a 100-d period.
  • Cotyledon damage had a significant effect on growth during the establishment phase for six of the nine species. For two species, significant effects on plant growth were manifest in 100-d-old plants. Of the five species that flowered, three developed fewer inflorescences or flowered later as a consequence of cotyledon damage suffered as a seedling.
  • Our results show that, in addition to the direct effect of herbivory on seedling mortality, more subtle sublethal effects may also influence plant establishment. Reduced growth as a result of cotyledon damage may have implications for plant competition during the establishment phase, and on subsequent reproductive success at maturity.

Stay safe out there and keep blazin!

wonder how long it'll take one plant to fill the scrog.
you have enough bucket for it for sure.

i actually flowered a little plant in a bucket the same size as your seedling bucket.

full

it was a cut off shampoo bottle. :p

wonder how long it'll take one plant to fill the scrog.
you have enough bucket for it for sure.

i actually flowered a little plant in a bucket the same size as your seedling bucket.

full

it was a cut off shampoo bottle. :p
:blunt:thats a heavy looking little plant! Nice work.

Hoping to finish around the new year, at 55-65 days flower, that gives me ~55-65 days to veg her out.

thats a heavy looking little plant! Nice work.

the beauty of hempy is bigger plants / yields from a smaller foot print. it's actually a micro plant system that produces near macro.

Hoping to finish around the new year, at 55-65 days flower, that gives me ~55-65 days to veg her out.

sounds about right. probably towards the low side to fill the scrog. you need flower room at flip.

Daily 15 title-01 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 15-01 - Copy.png

day - Copy.png

Howdy 420 Fam!
Todays big changes are all in the nutes. Little Anita is staying consistent at 2" tall and developing her first true leaves with the second set already starting. In addition to the Advanced Nutrients Grow and Hydroguard we introduced Earth Juice Microblast and Protekt Silica at half dosage to our twice daily fertigation. Anita also got her first foliar feeding just before lights out, with a half dose of Fox Farms Flowers Kiss. This is earlier than I would typically start foliar feeding, however since we snipped her cotyledons I want to give her an extra boost to make up for some of those lost energy reserves.

Stay blazed out there!

Daily 16 Tile-01 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 16-01 - Copy.png

day2 - Copy.jpg

Wah Gwan 420 Fam!
No big changes today. Anita got another foliar feeding with flowers kiss, and 2x fertigation with AN Grow, Hydroguard, Micro, and Silica. She's happy and her growth is starting to take off.

We hung out for a while this morning and listened to the 'Great Moments In Weed History Podcast' episode 'Willie Nelson Gets High on the Roof of the White House'. Great stuff. Took us back to the time we got to vape with Willie a few years ago, such a funny guy. What's your favorite weed entertainment? :ganjamon:

Daily Update Tile 17 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 17 - Copy.png

day 17 - Copy.jpg

Hola 420mag Amigos!
Anita sure got off to a shy start but she's really starting to come out of her shell. Everyday she is picking up steam and it's exciting looking in the tent to see how much she is starting to grow. The foliar and 2x daily fertigation seem to be serving her well so we will keep up the routine. She is a little lonely though, I'm thinking of popping 1 more bean so she has some company, I figure if I start it in a much shorter bucket it should take off sooner and it will be fun to compare the root mass at up-pot.

Hope everyone is safe and well out there. Keep it classy!

BW

Daily Update Tile 18 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 18 - Copy.png

day 18 2 - Copy.jpg

Howzit 420 kooks!
Day 18 is here already. Growth seems to be speeding up every day and she is starting to develop some spacing between leaf nodes. She is still hovering around 2" in height.

Not much else to report today, so here's a little song from da islands that usually brightens my day a bit:

Daily 16 Tile-01 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 16-01 - Copy.png

day2 - Copy.jpg

Wah Gwan 420 Fam!
No big changes today. Anita got another foliar feeding with flowers kiss, and 2x fertigation with AN Grow, Hydroguard, Micro, and Silica. She's happy and her growth is starting to take off.

We hung out for a while this morning and listened to the 'Great Moments In Weed History Podcast' episode 'Willie Nelson Gets High on the Roof of the White House'. Great stuff. Took us back to the time we got to vape with Willie a few years ago, such a funny guy. What's your favorite weed entertainment? :ganjamon:
I’m listening to this right now

The only connection to “weed” is that I’m high as a f’ng cloud right now

:hippy:
Been loving Stone Rebel lately.

Daily Update Tile 19 - Copy.png

Dialy Conditions 19 - Copy.png

19 - Copy.png

Namaste 420 gurus!
We've got a busy week planned out here in the bamboo forest. Postings will be short, and hopefully sweet. Anita's growth continues to accelerate. She's working hard on her second node. We did a few sun salutations together and asked Ganesha for blessings then started soaking another Melon Fizz seed!

Back
Top Bottom