Love It or Leave It?

• Love It

Votes: 55 51.4%
  • Leave It

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
I've used several different pieces of forum software, from fully featured to downright crude, and they all had that ability. So I'm assuming that this one has it, too, and for whatever reason (bandwidth? IDK...) it must be manually enabled by the admin. Hopefully, he turns it on, because you and I were probably not the only people who ever used it.

BtW, I mentioned previously either in this thread or the other one that, after posting a reply in a thread, pressing my space bar gave an error pop-up that stated:
"Oops! We ran into some problems.
Please enter a valid message."
I was actually meaning that SHIFT + space bar causes it (but just the space bar causes it, too). I always used that to page up so I could continue viewing the thread, since my hands are on the keyboard, thumbs over the space bar, but on my laptop the page up button is a move and reach with my right-(bad-)hand pinkie finger. Now I have to expressly click with my mouse cursor somewhere on the page so that the forum can figure out I'm not trying to... IDFK, apparently enter the number of an invalid message, judging by the error message I provoke without doing so first. Hope that clarification helps with your troubleshooting.

I'm going to take a break for a while and let the younger folk look for issues, lol. I'm getting kind of tired and am afraid that I'll start finding "bugs" that are actually just evidence that I'm no longer able to think like a 12-year old instead of actual issues with the site. Getting old doesn't suck (just think of the alternative ;) ) - but feeling old sure does.

BtW, the new forum's script seems slightly more invasive than the old forum's script. Now, when I highlight text in a post, the forum asks me if I want to start a reply or somesuch instead of minding its own business, lol. And my script-blocker states that the forum is only running the one script ("420magazine.com") on my computer, so it must be that one.

EDIT: That cheesy "quick scroll up of the bottom of the page, then quick scroll back down" when I click on the Edit post link (et cetera) really bothers my eyes. That's more than an annoyance. Mere annoyances don't bother my eyes.

I'm having difficulty erasing what's in the compose box when I want to start anew. There's no "cancel" button, or at least one I can see or make work. For instance, if I wanted to pick up the last paragraph of what TS posted and then cancel the quote to start a new compose box there's no way to do that. I have to manually erase it all, which means I'd have to do that one character at a time or drop what I'd saved somewhere else while I select the entire thing and erase.

TS, do you understand what I mean?

You're doing sing a good job of ferreting through this for us TS. You're earning that Carboniferous fossil that'll be on its way to you later today. MUAH!

I'm having difficulty erasing what's in the compose box when I want to start anew. There's no "cancel" button, or at least one I can see or make work. For instance, if I wanted to pick up the last paragraph of what TS posted and then cancel the quote to start a new compose box there's no way to do that. I have to manually erase it all, which means I'd have to do that one character at a time or drop what I'd saved so,where else while I select the entire thing and erase.

Youre doing sing a good job of ferreting through this for us TS. You're earning that Carboniferous fossil thatll be on its way to you later today. MUAH!

I just closed the page, but agree we need a cancel option.

And guys...... Who doesn't love this speedy response when you post and edit, eh?? WooHoo!! When we get really familiar and get the bugs worked out this is going to be such fun! :slide:

And guys...... Who doesn't love this speedy response when you post and edit, eh?? WooHoo!! When we get really familiar and get the bugs worked out this is going to be such fun! :slide:
I'm having difficulty erasing what's in the compose box when I want to start anew. There's no "cancel" button, or at least one I can see or make work. For instance, if I wanted to pick up the last paragraph of what TS posted and the TEST TEST TEST.

You're doing sing a good job of ferreting through this for us TS. You're earning that Carboniferous fossil that'll be on its way to you later today. MUAH!

I multi quoted yer Posts Sue, then was able to go back and edit yer posts

Im still wondering thru the new layout, very clean and fast, Big Issues like Meta Tags and such I know will be fixed ASAP. Ill keep paroosing and learning

Interesting Indeed

I do like the cleanliness off the layout so far
I had found my threads on the Phone version, on my PC now, Gallery was abit to figure out, but did that, META tags is a big issue but im sure it will be fix as a priority

Clicking to RECENT posts in a thread is a challenge, havent figured that out yet

Since we are creating a THANKS button, How about an FU button...LOL

Yes we MUST have our Emoji's back

I assume Titles will return soon too, some apear to not Show, Like SweetSue, she has like 20 dosent she

Ill find some more things as I surf today, hmmmmm do we still get Spammers????

If it is possible, I would like to see the "Search Thread" feature added back

I've used several different pieces of forum software, from fully featured to downright crude, and they all had that ability. So I'm assuming that this one has such an ability, but that it must be manually enabled by the admin. Hopefully, he turns it on, because you and I were probably not the only people who ever used it.

BtW, I mentioned previously either in this thread or the other one that, after posting a reply in a thread, pressing my space bar gave an error pop-up that stated:
"Oops! We ran into some problems.
Please enter a valid message."
I was actually meaning that SHIFT + space bar causes it (but just the space bar causes it, too). I always used that to page up. I guess the action has become habit, as I've already seen the issue this morning.

I'm going to take a break for a while and let the younger folk look for issues, lol. I'm getting kind of tired and am afraid that I'll start finding "bugs" that are actually just evidence that I'm no longer able to think like a young person - instead of actual issues with the site. Getting old doesn't suck (just think of the alternative ;) ) - but feeling old sure does.

EDIT: That "quick scroll up of the bottom of the page, then quick scroll back down" when I click on the Edit post link (et cetera) really bothers my eyes. That's more than an annoyance (on a personal level) because it bothers my eyes. I suppose the reality is that young(er) people have always been amazed by seeing "something shiny," that this is more true now than ever, and that animations (and "animations") get added to things, tools, software, et cetera in an effort by their creators to pander to those who, if they have started shaving yet, at least aren't looking at gray/white whiskers in the mirror when they do.

And I guess that I can see a developer's intention as being somewhat valid Unlike Windows®, linux sort of allows a person to choose both their operating system (linux, sort of a generic term here) distro (a specific, customized "packaging" of linux, of which there are many), and the actual desktop environment and window manager for that environment. All that means that the same OS, even the same distro can - and often does - have rather differing appearances depending on which "flavor" a person chose to install (/customize/modify); my linux installation uses a desktop environment that is light on visual affects, animations, and the like, while the next person's installation of the same distro might be far more graphics-intensive and have many more "shiny things" (although mine accomplishes the same thing as the other person's). And, lol... both person's chosen desktop environments have significant numbers of users. So I am guessing that there will be as many people who manage to be impressed by seeing their virtual page jump around like this as there will be people who actively dislike the effect.

Nonetheless, this specific thing (the screen "zipping" up and back down, or vice versa, whatever) actually does bother my eyes. Now... My mother is in her late 70s now, but 16 years ago she was probably younger than some of our members here, and I tried to show her how she could use a computer to do a few things. She saw an effect that was vaguely akin to this "virtual screen moving" one - and actually flinched. SO it might be considered a kindness if you could - and would - either turn this effect off altogether or at least allowed it to be disabled on a per-user basis (thank you!).

Later Second EDIT: That was the voice of a cranky, frustrated, exhausted near 50-year old with cognitive issues speaking. I didn't even realize which thread I was posting in - thought it was one of Sue's (who somehow manages to magically turn people's frustration into a reason for giving a virtual hug). Since the universe has given me an opportunity to edit this post after the three or four hour nap I had, lol, I'm going to attempt to remove the evidence of frustration.

Apologies if I managed to annoy anyone last night. Oh, screw the qualifier in the previous sentence, lol - I've surely annoyed someone here at some point, so: I offer my apologies for any and all times that I have annoyed someone.

removing and reloading my avatar seems to have helped with the pixel problem.

Problem: Some avatars appear pixelated.

Cause: The uploaded avatars were smaller than what the new board is using. They are stretched to fit.

Solution: Upload a new avatar. The new recommended minimum size is 400 X 400 pixels.

I don't find you annoying at all TS. MUAH!

Is logging into the mobile app supposed to be working right now? Mine isn't
No more mobile app??? Wow, that's a step backward
To my understanding the app is now obsolete. No more app. Just this.

The Developers of the Mobil app stopped support, so Its gone. Possibly till they find a decent developer

I use the web version on my Phone, works well, still learning it but so far so good, and you can upload picks again

Just like most sites, Like NFL. COM, or NBC. COM, they all have stripped down WEB versions

Try it and report back

Ahhhh......there's my clear avatar. Thank you guys. Can't believe how much all this matters. Lol!

I like that look l lot! I'm still looking for everything. I've found the important things though. I am sure you guys know that some subs were lost. I've noticed the problem above^. Also when you press delete, the entire post will be underlined like it is all spelled wrong. The one thing I'd like to see, is a way to bookmark where you are in a long journal. I was subbed to 3 journals that were longer than 200 pages at one time. Sometimes you only have 10 minutes to read and finding your place can take that sometimes. :mad: about the lack of emojis (lol) and the thank button would be better than a like button. If I wanted to like something, I'd get on Facebook again. Thank is not a word, but a feeling that better coveys your gratefulness toward a helping hand. Other than that, great job guys! Even with all that, I can't imagine the task 420 moderators have at hand. Thanks for your hard work and for a site where we can all support each other. I support whatever you guys have decided based on your customer feedback and trust that is your motivation!

Sorry I'm just frustrated at how overly complicated its all getting.

I wanted so say: Thank you. Both for posting your experience with the new setup (and I mean this "Thank you" to everyone who has done and/or will be doing so, BtW)... AND for allowing your frustration to show a little, lol. It makes me feel (somewhat, a little) less of an @ss.

Hey, I typed "@ss" above and the forum gave me some kind of - completely unwanted - pop-up list. Oh, I miss dial-up BBS software, lol.

If this was not such an important thread, I'd end up commenting on your chosen user name and asking you if you've found any particular specific strains that seem to work best for your glaucoma. As it is, I will not - but feel free to send me a PM about it, if you like. (Hint: private messages are now called "conversations" here. As if we are not supposed to converse with people in threads?)

With the app I just clicked the picture button, select whatever pics I wanted on my phone and boom it was done...Now however I am totally lost .

I admit I'm not the best at technology at all which is why I really liked the app. I have no clue how even find my gallery let alone then upload pics from my phone to it...Please just fix the app 420mag.

I need to add the disclaimer that I did not use the mobile device app, so I don't have a clue as to what the experience was like. And I know that 420 had very valid reasons for wanting to explore possible alternate solutions. However... I do find myself wondering if that old adage, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," applies here. There were LOTS of complaints about the mobile application. But how many people posted things like, "The mobile app does what I need it to do," or <LAUGHING, WHILE LOOKING IN A MIRROR> "It's so easy even an old-fart caveman can do it," lol?

I wonder if this is one of the things that drive change, sometimes in directions that I fail to understand? 10,000 people complain about a thing and a handful have something positive to say - therefore, the creator thinks, "Hmm... Well, I better change something about it, then." IDK...

I feel kinda bad posting this as I love 420mag and everyone on it and don't want to just complain but this feels like a big step backwards to me.

At the end of the day, feedback - both positive AND negative - is the only way that a person has, to help them judge a thing.

Edit. Ok so I did all that and uplaoded a pic...woohoo...then I found that not only did it not strip the metadata off the image like I understand you used to on the prvipus forum version, but you also display it all right there for everyone to see...please correct me if I am wrong here, but I dont want the whole internet knowing exactly what device i use, when I took the photo, how I took it, my cock size etc...please can you kindly delete the image out of my gallery for me as I've tried and I cant work out how to do it myself...

OH NO! Yeah, that's a pretty significant failing in a resource that is considered to be not only larger than state-wide, but also larger than country-wide in extent. I hope and assume that this particular issue will be considered a priority, and fixed soonest! In the meantime, here are a couple of online image sanitizers which strip EXIF data from images, chosen at random via a web search (there are many more):
Code:
https://www.exifremove.com/
https://onlineexifremover.com/
Here is one that can be downloaded - there are versions for both Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOSX, along with source code for the paranoid:
Code:
https://codewelt.com/stripper
Here is an application for editing/removing EXIF metadata from images for Android devices:
Code:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xnano.android.photoexifeditor
And, finally, here is an app for iOS (Apple) mobile devices:
Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metadata-remover-photo-video/id1079710135?mt=8

All of the above were chosen more or less at random from the results of a web search. There are other applications that do the same thing for each platform (including online-based), so feel free to search around for one you like better.

Its pretty safe to say I will NOT be uploading ANY images until this is sorted out ...its not legal everywhere you know guys!

I not only don't blame you, I hope everyone is aware of the issue. Don't go away mad, just... yeah, I'd hold off on uploading images temporarily, too, if I had no way to strip the metadata. Ironically, you didn't mention the number one reason to strip metadata from images that show certain activities - most cell phones and tablets have a GPS function, and give the person the opportunity to add this information to their photos! (And not everyone seems to be aware of this, and/or knows how to turn the option off.) Such a "feature" could end up showing someone's grow room to an accuracy of within nine feet or so, and if an image of this sort were uploaded with GPS metadata included, it would be evidence of a criminal act in many jurisdictions, and publicly available to anyone, without a warrant.. (Admin, please read the previous sentence a second time!)

Yes, the responsibility is with the individual to not make bone-head moves such as posting a photo of their cannabis grow online in a public venue with GPS data attached if they live in a state where growing one's own cannabis is still illegal. But, still, please make this one a priority to fix.

Maybe it was like this before and because I used the app I just didnt know. But to my knowledge it never used to actively display all the image meta data for all to see...

I don't think it was. Some EXIF strippers seem to end up creating an image that displays sideways, lol, and I saw that happen a few times here. Plus, I believe I read once that the (previous) forum's image upload routine stripped the accompanying metadata.

Coffee...the wonder drug!!??...lolool found it...for anyone else who might have the same problem...click preferences...cheers...h00k...

But that didn't give ME any coffee...?

Just injecting a little (lame) humor to ease the frustrations....

I'll be loading in Chrome later, but I've noticed that on my iPhone I don't have the option to edit a post.

Back
Top Bottom