Breeding for Beginners - Create Your Very Own Strain!

great info, ive added this page to my signature so others can read up on breeding for beginners, ive found when crossing plants that its usually the female side that comes out the stronges, but again that could be strain related,

hi everyone, i am new here , i have question about breeding, i live in middle east , we have local weed strain which is sativa it is for outdoors, but i have been growing it indoors ,indoors it grows christmas tree like with many branches but when it harvests the buds are not big they are the size of 0.25 cents and they are not that potent, right now i am going to get good seeds, but don't know what seeds to get , which would be good partner for our local weed, and what u suggest which strains to cross it with, also most important question should i use as male or female parent our local strain for best results

Re: Breeding for Beginers. Create Your very own strain!

I have heard that a Herm can not pollinate itself. In essence, 2 clones from the same plant are still the same plant.

gregthegrower my question was basically the same ut got no answer yet , i was wondering which parent genes do they take more . i know for sure it takes the genes of both parents ,but which one more is the question

The question isn't which genes they take on more of it really comes down to what traits the grower is trying to express. essentially the plants traits come from it's mother and its father in the case of cannabis. As mentioned in the original post, seeds from the same cross will produce many different strains. it is easy to understand if you relate cannabis to humans, both are sexual species.

Presumably the gene ratio received from it's parents is close to 50/50, what really matters is the expression of genes, which can be dominance or co-dominance or recessive traits, and on and on....

The male plant will have the genes for the traits but essentially we are only selecting for the traits exhibited by the female flowers.

I hope i left some insight into your question, although i feel i might have made you more questions than answers

Can anyone advise or explain the preferable cross(if any) of the following 2 options with the goal of crossing hawaiian sativa and afghan indica:
Would a good hawaiian sativa male with a good afghan indica female cross be best or would a good hawaiian sativa female with a good afghan indica male be best?

Gday just wondering by stressing plant and inducing sex change into hermy,by crossbreeding wouldn't you be introducing some flaws or defects arising from stressing the plant or can u sort that out later from inbreeding . Awesome thread man i love it:bravo:

When the male and female germ cells join at fertilization, each adds one gene for each characteristic so that the new seed then has two genes for each attribute. The diverse combinations of each parents' genes determine the traits of the offspring and of future generations.

Inbreeding establishes a pure breed. A pure breed has consistent chromosomes. That is, the genetic makeup of offspring is relatively uniform. This true or pure breed is necessary so common growth characteristics may be established. If the plants are not a pure breed, it will be impossible to predict the outcome of the hybrid plant. After the 4th to 6th generation of inbreeding, negative characteristics, like low potency, legginess and lack of vigor tend to dominate. Inbreeding is necessary to establish a true breed, but has been shied away from after the strain has been established.

Inbreeding establishes a stable reference point or plant to start from. The chosen females are bred back (back crossed) with males of the same strain. This will establish a true breed, plants with the same growth characteristics. These plants, of known ancestry and growth characteristics will be used to breed hybrid plants.

Outbreeding or producing hybrid seed is the practice of crossing two plants from different genetic backgrounds. An F1 (make the 1 in F1 superscript) hybrid is a first generation cross of two true breeding plants. F1 varieties are the most sought after plants available because they grow approximately 25 percent faster and larger than other crosses. This phenomena is known as hybrid vigor.

The offspring of F1 plants are called F2 and the offspring of F2 plants are called F3 etc. The subsequent generations after F1 do not experience hybrid vigor. F1 hybrids from seed companies must be brought back to true bred plants before they serve as consistent breeding stock.

NOTE: Most often grower's do not breed, they cross plants without stabilizing any particular plant, or developing true breeding strains. Once they find a plant they like, they take clones of it and grow it out under lights. Often this is process is confused with breeding. It is much more difficult to select plants, stabilize them into true breeding plants and produce F1 (make the 1 in F1 superscript) hybrids. Often when 10 seeds purchased from a disreputable seed company are planted, the result is 10 plants that all look different, so beware!

Thanks! I needed that.:nicethread::nicethread::nicethread:

this is the only part i didnt reallly understand. anyway you could explain to me what hes saying? whats the diffrnece between f1s and back crosses? so if i want to create a strain from 2 strains, i grow out a male and collect the pollen and then i pollinate the female, let her grow her seeds and then those seeds become the f1? and from there, i grow asmany f1 seeds as i can so i can what?? pick threw all the diffrent females? what do i do with male f1s? he said that its not called breeding and then goes into explaining what breeding is, can someone explain that? the whole back crossing with males to create stable seesds.

So if you stress a plant to create a "male" that male is actually a hermaphrodite,isn't it? Then if you breed that with the same female or a clone of the same female before being stressed into a hermie condition that is self pollinating a plant, isn't it?
If you crossed a "male" that you created by stressing a female plant out with clones of the same female plant you stressed to make the "Male" (hermie..) thats pretty much making feminized seed isn't it? A method of "self-pollinating" without collodial silver?

great read! really interested in getting into breeding and was curious about something

If i have a strain i really like, take one seed and it turns out to be a great grower and a nice healthy plant, i then mother it. take two clones from it, flower one as normal and stress the other one out to create the male sex organs. take that pollen and pollinate the one grown normally, what have i created? would that create a pure batch of seeds identical to that mother plant? or would that create a less potent version of it that is more suseptible to becoming a hermie?

This is what I meant to reply to with my first two posts.. That is basically just like using a hermie to self pollinate and make feminized seed isn't it? Yours seems like a good question , I wonder if taking pollen from the hermie and crossing it with clone of the same plant b4 it went hermie is just the same thing or if it helps or hurts too. Kinda busy atm Ill read back thru this later and make sure I didnt ask something thats already been answered! thanks! (new to these forums, Hi everybody! sorry if these are stupid questions, lol)

great read! really interested in getting into breeding and was curious about something

If i have a strain i really like, take one seed and it turns out to be a great grower and a nice healthy plant, i then mother it. take two clones from it, flower one as normal and stress the other one out to create the male sex organs. take that pollen and pollinate the one grown normally, what have i created? would that create a pure batch of seeds identical to that mother plant? or would that create a less potent version of it that is more suseptible to becoming a hermie?

Was just reading maybe thats a different type of Rodelization.. ill keep reading up on it later and get back. Sorry if these posts are ignorant since I haven't put alot of time into them! lol

Since this conversation is still alive, I need to ask a question or two. I am trying my first breeding between a male and female mystery Sativa that came as a bonus with my order. The male was very bushy and the female was very sticky with resin, so am curious to see if one of the phenotypes will be both bushy and resinous.

How do you tell if the pollination "took"? How long does it take for the signs of "pregnancy" to show?

I read in this journal that it takes about 2 - 3 months for the seeds to mature, so I'm good with that.

image34933.jpg

Here is a pic of my Mama Thai, six days after pollination

Remember this from my first journal AK? The seeds seemed to take about a month to mature. Or at any rate- they definitely were mature by then.

Remember this from my first journal AK? The seeds seemed to take about a month to mature. Or at any rate- they definitely were mature by then.

WC to the rescue! TY! I have looked online a LOT and have found no pics of the actual process and development of seeds after pollination. I see the lady will look like I felt when > I < was pregnant with my kids so many decades ago. Sick all the time and looking like sh**. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom