Breeding for Beginners - Create Your Very Own Strain!

Re: Breeding for Beginers. Create Your very own strain!

Yeah, then the little shits start growing and you spend all your time working, and spending money on them.

Great article. want to learn breeding as soon as I feel I have enough buds to last me for a year or two of experimentation :)

How can i make a high CBD strain of at least 20%-25% so i an clone it forever?

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User
If you figure that one out please share the wealth of information that would be
Since this conversation is still alive, I need to ask a question or two. I am trying my first breeding between a male and female mystery Sativa that came as a bonus with my order. The male was very bushy and the female was very sticky with resin, so am curious to see if one of the phenotypes will be both bushy and resinous.

How do you tell if the pollination "took"? How long does it take for the signs of "pregnancy" to show?

I read in this journal that it takes about 2 - 3 months for the seeds to mature, so I'm good with that.

How can i make a high CBD strain of at least 20%-25% so i an clone it forever?

First you need full access to a lab for testing cbd levels.

None of us on here is testing the THC levels or CBD you need a lab. Closest thing you can do is grow many plants and test each one however you consume them. I try to look at it like this. Create something that fits your needs long as you like it who cares

Psalm 104:14

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and the herb for the service of Man".

None of us on here is testing the THC levels or CBD you need a lab. Closest thing you can do is grow many plants and test each one however you consume them. I try to look at it like this. Create something that fits your needs long as you like it who cares

Psalm 104:14

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and the herb for the service of Man".
To answer a few responses thks.

I can access a lab in near future as soon as i am able to legally grow my own medicine. I await the Canadian Governments decision as i applied to do so.

The stanley brothers did it with charlottes web making two strains breed to make one strain that has up to 25% CBD consistently now this maybe be only in Oil form as i never seen it listed as a Dry Cannabis.

I want a Dry Strain 25% CBD.

Maybe a high CBD Canntonic and another High CBD like AC/DC bred together can make the one i want?

I am not knowledgeable about breeding so just asking.

So if your trying to breed you first need to understand homozygous dominant, homozygous recessive and hetrozygous knowing alleles would help as well but basically if you want a very simple hybrid mix two pure indicas, because of there compatibility it'll come out a very pure strain with very little variations how ever if you mix a pure sativa with a pure indica it'll come out with lots of variations because they aren't compatible you might even see traits neither of the parents have In an indica sativa mix it's hard but not impossible good luck out there breeders !.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: Breeding for Beginers. Create Your very own strain!

When the male and female germ cells join at fertilization, each adds one gene for each characteristic so that the new seed then has two genes for each attribute. The diverse combinations of each parents' genes determine the traits of the offspring and of future generations.

Inbreeding establishes a pure breed. A pure breed has consistent chromosomes. That is, the genetic makeup of offspring is relatively uniform. This true or pure breed is necessary so common growth characteristics may be established. If the plants are not a pure breed, it will be impossible to predict the outcome of the hybrid plant. After the 4th to 6th generation of inbreeding, negative characteristics, like low potency, legginess and lack of vigor tend to dominate. Inbreeding is necessary to establish a true breed, but has been shied away from after the strain has been established.

Inbreeding establishes a stable reference point or plant to start from. The chosen females are bred back (back crossed) with males of the same strain. This will establish a true breed, plants with the same growth characteristics. These plants, of known ancestry and growth characteristics will be used to breed hybrid plants.

Outbreeding or producing hybrid seed is the practice of crossing two plants from different genetic backgrounds. An F1 (make the 1 in F1 superscript) hybrid is a first generation cross of two true breeding plants. F1 varieties are the most sought after plants available because they grow approximately 25 percent faster and larger than other crosses. This phenomena is known as hybrid vigor.

The offspring of F1 plants are called F2 and the offspring of F2 plants are called F3 etc. The subsequent generations after F1 do not experience hybrid vigor. F1 hybrids from seed companies must be brought back to true bred plants before they serve as consistent breeding stock.

NOTE: Most often grower's do not breed, they cross plants without stabilizing any particular plant, or developing true breeding strains. Once they find a plant they like, they take clones of it and grow it out under lights. Often this is process is confused with breeding. It is much more difficult to select plants, stabilize them into true breeding plants and produce F1 (make the 1 in F1 superscript) hybrids. Often when 10 seeds purchased from a disreputable seed company are planted, the result is 10 plants that all look different, so beware!

Thanks! I needed that.:nicethread::nicethread::nicethread:

Awesome thread where could one find a reputable place to buy seeds

To answer a few responses thks.

I can access a lab in near future as soon as i am able to legally grow my own medicine. I await the Canadian Governments decision as i applied to do so.

The stanley brothers did it with charlottes web making two strains breed to make one strain that has up to 25% CBD consistently now this maybe be only in Oil form as i never seen it listed as a Dry Cannabis.

I want a Dry Strain 25% CBD.

Maybe a high CBD Canntonic and another High CBD like AC/DC bred together can make the one i want?

I am not knowledgeable about breeding so just asking.

Learn to grow first perhaps? That's a challenge of it's own
So if your trying to breed you first need to understand homozygous dominant, homozygous recessive and hetrozygous knowing alleles would help as well but basically if you want a very simple hybrid mix two pure indicas, because of there compatibility it'll come out a very pure strain with very little variations how ever if you mix a pure sativa with a pure indica it'll come out with lots of variations because they aren't compatible you might even see traits neither of the parents have In an indica sativa mix it's hard but not impossible good luck out there breeders !.

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I see this thread is kinda old but thanks anyway. I love getting simple facts like that. Thanks for your time Certainty was good timing for me ,First time had pure afg and pure maz seed (in a hostile zone)so Will Do !
On'ya Mate...s

Sent from my 5017A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So is a pure breed an intentionally pollinated female with a male,or is a pure breed a non hybridised male and female Such as Afghan or something? I find it a little confusing, I've tried pollinating a female psychosis with sunshine daydream male that I chose for the short Bushy smelly traits it even had Trichomes, the psychosis is a Grade A smoke absolutely nothing touches the smell but yield is not that good so how would I pass the yield trait's And keep the odour of the psychosis,or is that achieved by splitting my seed stock growing them out and back cross them or inbred, thanks guy's any info welcome I'm interested in it

Great post !
Gives a lot of basic knowledge on how to treat the plants, but can you make a post about the gear you use? Lights, tents and fertilization?
I have visited a growshop, and the dude came with his recommended products, would like your take on this as well.:volcano-smiley:

Keep making good stuff dude :cheer:

Great post !
Gives a lot of basic knowledge on how to treat the plants, but can you make a post about the gear you use? Lights, tents and fertilization?
I have visited a growshop, and the dude came with his recommended products, would like your take on this as well.:volcano-smiley:

Keep making good stuff dude :cheer::

Each grower has to decide what equipment to use based on a number of factors: Budget, space, size of grow, purpose of grow, and experience.

The size of grow is important because if you are just growing a few plants for your medicine and you are not selling your product, you dont need the high-end equipment. You can start off with a dozen 23W cfl's for an 8 sq ft closet or shelf, and upgrade from that. White polytarp or white paint for wall covering, white polytarp or visqueen to protect the floor. recycled gallon water jugs for the juvenile plants, rectangular kitchen trash bins for 3 - 5 gallon pots. Storage bins for water runoff under the trash bins.

Off the shelf nutes (miracle grow liquid all-purposes has all the major and minor nutes you need). Black Gold indoor potting soil mixed 50% with coarse perlite.

Go cheap and upgrade as you go.

Any more reliable direction for choosing a male, besides what the stem smells like?

I took genetics a long time ago, I recall that the offspring exhibit traits of both parents, therefore choosing a male should be a little less random. In reality I will take what I can get. Too bad there is no pollen bank somewhere - hey now there is an idea!

1st post on this forum. Let the growing commence! My first effort was ...1986 in my dorm closet :)

Back
Top Bottom