Brian420pm 6th Grow Jul 2021: Super Silver Haze

Brian420pm

Fits And Starts!

3 weeks gone by, 2 batches of 5 seeds each never made it past an inch tall. The cause was me trying to reuse old media WITHOUT rinsing it out properly after the last grow.

UGH, beware of shortcuts, they often lead to dead-ends!

This was a good time to make the switch from perlite to pumice. There was one, eye-opening scene a couple grows back where I dumped some used coco/perlite in the garden. I was thinking mulch, something to build up around a tree where I feed corn, seed, etc. to local critters. It was a defining moment witnessing waves of plastic perlite pieces blowing around the yard!

I found Mother Earth Pumice at my local grow shop, rinsed and mixed with new and rinsed coco at one part perlite to two parts coco. The relevant difference between perlite and pumice is the former is buoyant which I think is a positive environment inside a grow pot, providing an upward pressure against gravity each feeding. With a non-buoyant media I assume the settling at the bottom will cause uneven density between the upper and lower areas of the pot. How much that affects a grow is an unanswered curiosity!

0702211802 (1).jpg
0702212009 (1).jpg

Since I now ruined my stock of Girl Scout Cookies (Nirvana Seeds) and Grand Daddy Purple (Capt. Red Beard Seeds), I went back to Super Silver Haze (Nirvana Seeds). SSH was my best yielding grow to date, looking to repeat!

SEEDLING (Day 3 from seed):

I think Nirvana has a secret sauce! They are already poking the tap root out the bottom and ready to transplant into solo, wow. So far I've used only distilled water, ph 7.0. I'll start using nutrients within a week.

0703211947.jpg
0703211647.jpg

Environment (temp/rh) is queen when it comes to growing variables. My goals are ~100% RH at germination, ~90% in the peat pods and ~80% in the solos, controlled by the cut holes in clear solo cups that cover each plant. :) All this leading to eventual 60% RH and 80F top leaf temp in the grow tent.

0703212033.jpg

Back on track, off to the races, all that :)

Fits And Starts!

3 weeks gone by, 2 batches of 5 seeds each never made it past an inch tall. The cause was me trying to reuse old media WITHOUT rinsing it out properly after the last grow.

This was a good time to make the switch from perlite to pumice. There was one, eye-opening scene a couple grows back where I dumped some used coco/perlite in the garden. I was thinking mulch, something to build up around a tree where I feed corn, seed, etc. to local critters. It was a defining moment witnessing waves of plastic perlite pieces blowing around the yard!

I found Mother Earth Pumice at my local grow shop, rinsed and mixed with new and rinsed coco at one part perlite to two parts coco. The relevant difference between perlite and pumice is the former is buoyant which I think is a positive environment inside a grow pot, providing an upward pressure against gravity each feeding. With a non-buoyant media I assume the settling at the bottom will cause uneven density between the upper and lower areas of the pot. How much that affects a grow is an unanswered curiosity!

0702211802 (1).jpg
0702212009 (1).jpg

Since I now ruined my stock of Girl Scout Cookies (Nirvana Seeds) and Grand Daddy Purple (Capt. Red Beard Seeds), I went back to Super Silver Haze (Nirvana Seeds). SSH was my best yielding grow to date, looking to repeat!

I think Nirvana has a secret sauce! They are already poking the tap root out the bottom and ready to transplant into solo, wow. So far I've used only distilled water, ph 7.0. I'll start using nutrients within a week.

0703211947.jpg
0703211647.jpg

Environment (temp/rh) is queen when it comes to growing variables. My goals are ~100% RH at germination, ~90% in the peat pods and ~80% in the solos, controlled by the cut holes in clear solo cups that cover each plant. :) All this leading to eventual 60% RH and 80F top leaf temp in the grow tent.

0703212033.jpg

Hello @Brian420pm hope you are well.
Great start to your journal.
That seedling has a stalk like a 2x4 wow.
I'd love to hang out and follow along. :thumb:
Bill

Fits And Starts!

0702211802 (1).jpg
0702212009 (1).jpg

0703211947.jpg
0703211647.jpg

0703212033.jpg

Good luck and happy growing

Veg Week #3

I neglected to precharge my coco mix with cal/mag at the beginning, which set me back a week. They perked up nice after figuring out and correcting the issue. Check the plastic mesh hack... distributes the water more evenly, reduces substrate temp, increases reflection, all good!

0723211410a.jpg

Veg Week #4

Cruising after transplant...

0728212316b (1).jpg

Veg Week #5

Topped above node 4, kept 3 and 4. Topped twice more for a total of 16 tops, visible in this photo. The training clips are nice to have to keep the canopy even.

0803211915.jpg

Veg Week #6 (42 days from seed)

First day of week 6, things going well. Leaves are not preying as much as I would like to see. I have a new LED light this grow and still trying to dial in the temps/humidity/light strength.

As always, loving the phenotype variation!

This lovely lady is growing like a bouquet, a rounded globe of growth.

20210812_005611.jpg

This one reminded me of cauliflower, bunched up at the top...

20210812_005638.jpg

These two are what I'm shooting for, 16 tops even across the top...

20210812_005652.jpg

20210812_005705.jpg

Veg Week #3

I neglected to precharge my coco mix with cal/mag at the beginning, which set me back a week. They perked up nice after figuring out and correcting the issue. Check the plastic mesh hack... distributes the water more evenly, reduces substrate temp, increases reflection, all good!

0723211410a.jpg

Veg Week #4

Cruising after transplant...

0728212316b (1).jpg

Veg Week #5

Topped above node 4, kept 3 and 4. Topped twice more for a total of 16 tops, visible in this photo. The training clips are nice to have to keep the canopy even.

0803211915.jpg

Veg Week #6 (42 days from seed)

First day of week 6, things going well. Leaves are not preying as much as I would like to see. I have a new LED light this grow and still trying to dial in the temps/humidity/light strength.

As always, loving the phenotype variation!

This lovely lady is growing like a bouquet, a rounded globe of growth.

20210812_005611.jpg

This one reminded me of cauliflower, bunched up at the top...

20210812_005638.jpg

These two are what I'm shooting for, 16 tops even across the top...

20210812_005652.jpg

20210812_005705.jpg
Bootiful

Flower Week #1 (52 days from seed)

Trimmed up the bushy girls and started flower, also got the net installed. Getting some yellowing on the lower leaves and some tip burn on a couple plants, EC is at 1.1 so maybe a bit too strong (EC is the density of the nutrients in the water).

One sister towers above the others, for whatever reason her internode space during the second half of veg growth was almost twice the length of the others!

0822210108.jpg

0822210047.jpg

0822210120.jpg

0822210253.jpg

0822210306.jpg

After 5 grows using General Hydroponics liquid nutrients I switched to Jacks 321 powder nutrients and will use them from now on. I wanted to get away from liquid nutes, which I feel is a waste of resources to produce and ship. I also made a spreadsheet and calculated and compared the NPK values from 6 leading nutrient lines. Along with cost I used that study to choose Jacks going forward.

Chart example...
Screenshot_3.jpg

Flower Week #2 (61 days from seed)

0830211846 (2).jpg

I bought a new light for $580... 720w, 4x4', Fold-8 from MedicGrow. This is the ONLY light I will ever need for this tent. I'm getting from 1,000 to 1,200 ppfd across the entire canopy! Daytime SLT (surface leaf temp) is 78F, 60RH. DLI (daily light integral) is 48.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Flower Week #3 (71 days from seed)

The girls are really packing this tent. I'm a HAPPY grower! :)

0909212243 (1).jpg

20210911_022226.jpg

bud.jpg

Flower Week #6 (93 days from seed)

Tomorrow is end of week 6 of flower.

0928211333a.jpg

0928211335a.jpg

Time to check trichs!

1001212223.jpg

I snipped a small bud halfway down the 14" canopy from each plant. One plant is partly amber, one is all cloudy, one is mostly cloudy, one is partly cloudy.

1001212225b.jpg

Some flowers are beginning to foxtail and I'm betting recent stresses (too much light, low co2) caused that and the shortening of the flower cycle.

Oh well let's just roll with it like we growers do! Nutrients will be reduced now and will start harvest in one week.

Seeds for next grow are popping tomorrow, Blueberry Muffin from Humboldt Seed Company, woo!

Flower Week #7 (98 days from seed)

I'm crazy excited and proud of this grow...

1003212217 (1).jpg

20211005_230107.jpg

I'm doing a DUAL HARVEST this time! I chopped all the upper buds first and then stripped most of the fan leaves, then next week will chop the rest.

This is what they look like after the top buds are gone. Light is now pouring down through the canopy for the final days. I filled the mesh dryer already so I may get a CRAZY big yield.

20211007_171818.jpg

20211007_171629.jpg

Now the lower buds are PACKING on the trichomes!

20211007_171741.jpg
20211007_171759.jpg

I have a similar light set up and use jacks tap nutrients since I have a hydro set up with pretty hard water. Not looking back either.
Your girls look awesome. Great job. Hope they taste and smoke as good as they look.
This will only be my second grow with the fold 8 and fallponics rdwc system. It’s making a huge dif and the girls love jacks compared to fox farm liquids. Glad to see someone else is having similar results. Take care. ✌

Back
Top Bottom