Briefbriefs Soil Zamaldelica Express: Grow Journal, 2020

NO! If your plants go longer than 3 days without needing water, then and only then do a mini watering. Just because you suddenly want to give nutes is not a good reason to fix the problem you are having... let those lower roots dry out! These are weeds... they are used to and actually thrive in adversity. If you keep mothering these plants, you WILL love them to death... just as you have been doing already.

NO! If your plants go longer than 3 days without needing water, then and only then do a mini watering. Just because you suddenly want to give nutes is not a good reason to fix the problem you are having... let those lower roots dry out! These are weeds... they are used to and actually thrive in adversity. If you keep mothering these plants, you WILL love them to death... just as you have been doing already.

Roger that, coach! thanks for the gut check!

I have to agree with Emilya. Sometimes in the beginning it's hard to not check in on our babies every 20 minutes, wich adds up to many many times a day. Too many times....because everytime that we see them, we want to do something more for them...like watering and/or adding nutes. It's hard to tell ourselves that sometimes, especially in this case, less is more. Let them dry out to the point of being extremely light in the overall weight of the container in your hand. You can even go as far as to wait to see signs of stress, such as a light wilting. And then water. While your soil medium is on its dry cycle, your roots will push outward in search of moisture, or water. This is a good thing during the vegetative state because they'll in turn grow a nice big healthy root ball. Big roots equals big fruits! Lol!
In a nutshell, only water as needed. Only add nutes if and when the plants show that they are in need of something. Once they are in their final flowering pot, the plants will eventually get to the point where you will have to water them every 2-3 days. In my opinion, this is optimal. Needing water any more often than that probably means that they are in need of a larger pot and more grow medium. Usually when this happens the plant will also begin to show signs of stress, and signs of needing something. So as you gain more experience and get the hang of things after a few grows. You'll begin to notice when things need to up-pot without too much stress, then up-pot her to her final container, and then things will become like routine. But for now...less is more. Let them dry before adding more water.
Hope this helps a little bit.

I have to agree with Emilya. Sometimes in the beginning it's hard to not check in on our babies every 20 minutes, wich adds up to many many times a day. Too many times....because everytime that we see them, we want to do something more for them...like watering and/or adding nutes. It's hard to tell ourselves that sometimes, especially in this case, less is more. Let them dry out to the point of being extremely light in the overall weight of the container in your hand. You can even go as far as to wait to see signs of stress, such as a light wilting. And then water. While your soil medium is on its dry cycle, your roots will push outward in search of moisture, or water. This is a good thing during the vegetative state because they'll in turn grow a nice big healthy root ball. Big roots equals big fruits! Lol!
In a nutshell, only water as needed. Only add nutes if and when the plants show that they are in need of something. Once they are in their final flowering pot, the plants will eventually get to the point where you will have to water them every 2-3 days. In my opinion, this is optimal. Needing water any more often than that probably means that they are in need of a larger pot and more grow medium. Usually when this happens the plant will also begin to show signs of stress, and signs of needing something. So as you gain more experience and get the hang of things after a few grows. You'll begin to notice when things need to up-pot without too much stress, then up-pot her to her final container, and then things will become like routine. But for now...less is more. Let them dry before adding more water.
Hope this helps a little bit.

First, thank you both so much for being patient -- i honestly cant imagine how draining it must eventually get having to answer the same question over and over. I am taking your guidance to heart, so I hope you dont feel like it falls on deaf ears. I will practice patience, as well as do my best to control my compulsive plant-checking (lol maybe ill get one of those cams eventually that you can check on your phone instead. or maybe i'll just learn self-control. who's to say.) and let the plant tell ME what she needs instead of me telling her. With that said, i still definitely want to do some training, but when it comes to nutes and water, i think its best to do as you both said and let her grow into it instead of push her to do something she's not ready for.
Again, thank you both. Really. You dont have to help me, or anyone, and the fact that you take time out of your day to lend a word is very meaningful.

First, thank you both so much for being patient -- i honestly cant imagine how draining it must eventually get having to answer the same question over and over. I am taking your guidance to heart, so I hope you dont feel like it falls on deaf ears. I will practice patience, as well as do my best to control my compulsive plant-checking (lol maybe ill get one of those cams eventually that you can check on your phone instead. or maybe i'll just learn self-control. who's to say.) and let the plant tell ME what she needs instead of me telling her. With that said, i still definitely want to do some training, but when it comes to nutes and water, i think its best to do as you both said and let her grow into it instead of push her to do something she's not ready for.
Again, thank you both. Really. You dont have to help me, or anyone, and the fact that you take time out of your day to lend a word is very meaningful.

No problem. We all started somewhere. No one person is a gardening pro as soon as they step onto the scene. It takes time, and patience, and a bit of humility. Because to post all of our mistakes and blunders on here, and to be able to ask for advice and help...sure isn't easy sometimes.
So no worries. Just have fun, and along the way if you should learn from any mistakes, even better.

Think I'll sit in. Be interested in what you find on the grow odor from Zamaldelicia.

@Emilya
"thrive in adversity"

You got that right!

I have a couple of regular Zamaldelicia in a 5gal pot now...amazingly they survived planted behind my tomato plants in 25 gal balcony containers all summer and over winter....and found 2 sprouted this spring. How they survived all the watering and home made nutes used on the tomatoes I do not know. They had to have frozen,but there they were this spring. The Golden Tigers did not make it (sadly)

@Big Sparks

Found what you say about checking your plants too often is not a good thing...for the reason you gave. Not checking so often allows you to see changes better.

Good luck on your Autos. Please post your odor findings?

Thanks

Think I'll sit in. Be interested in what you find on the grow odor from Zamaldelicia.

@Emilya
"thrive in adversity"

You got that right!

I have a couple of regular Zamaldelicia in a 5gal pot now...amazingly they survived planted behind my tomato plants in 25 gal balcony containers all summer and over winter....and found 2 sprouted this spring. How they survived all the watering and home made nutes used on the tomatoes I do not know. They had to have frozen,but there they were this spring. The Golden Tigers did not make it (sadly)

@Big Sparks

Found what you say about checking your plants too often is not a good thing...for the reason you gave. Not checking so often allows you to see changes better.

Good luck on your Autos. Please post your odor findings?

Thanks

Yep, you're absolutely right! They have been without human care for thousands (?) of years and have done just fine. I've been reminding myself of this all day yesterday and today. And yes of course! Once she starts releasing her odors (beyond the little tangy sweet smell she releases when she's thirsty) i'll start writing about it. Thank you for following!

Week 3, Day 16

I wish I could tell more easily when her seedling/establishment/veg states start, but I’m sure the more grows I do, the more clues I’ll learn to be able to differentiate.
Today Greta got an under-cut! Which is to say, I started the quadlining process as outlined by @Asesino85 ! Very nerve-wracking and very exciting. I know she’s an auto and that general wisdom says not to do high stress stuff like this on them, but whatever — I’m learning and experimenting, and if it stunts it, it stunts it. I saw enough other people post their auto quads and it seemed to be fine? Lol :goodluck:
Also I noticed she was having fairly significant leaf curl this morning and when I took the lux measurements, it was at 20k (since she got taller) so I brought them back down to 15k at the top of the canopy. Here’s a pic of her in the morning before her haircut and then one of her later in the afternoon post haircut. You can see some of the (what I perceive to be) light stress. Unless she was happy and praying?

7C8D70C8-035B-4F3A-8942-7B118E50DA0C.jpeg DE7C5B55-9B57-4A50-9708-0D3F8527BD88.jpeg

Yours are looking more mature than mine, but mine are older....lol

One plant is much more vigorous than the other...node spacing as well.

I just had to try and top to get a small sample for smoking. Nothing on flavor or smell, but she has a hint of potency even very small...letting them veg now.

Saw a video on youtube or somewhere of a guy using led panels for his grow room and his were a single cola (he had other plants (tall) in the background). His looked like donkey dicks. The audio said imagine a grow room filled with donkey dicks like the one he was holding.

Hope my south facing balcony glass will do half as well. Good luck and will look forward to you findings.

Yours are looking more mature than mine, but mine are older....lol

One plant is much more vigorous than the other...node spacing as well.

I just had to try and top to get a small sample for smoking. Nothing on flavor or smell, but she has a hint of potency even very small...letting them veg now.

Saw a video on youtube or somewhere of a guy using led panels for his grow room and his were a single cola (he had other plants (tall) in the background). His looked like donkey dicks. The audio said imagine a grow room filled with donkey dicks like the one he was holding.

Hope my south facing balcony glass will do half as well. Good luck and will look forward to you findings.

lmao a grow room of donkey dicks is one hell of a mental image :laughtwo:

I’m really looking forward to seeing how yours turn out and what your experience is! Good luck to you as well! This is a fun hobby.

I wish I could tell more easily when her seedling/establishment/veg states start
Seedlings are only that, for just a moment, just as germination is also simply a small mark in time. I consider a seedling to be a plant so small that it is not yet able to fend for itself, and not yet established in the soil it has found itself in. One of the first tasks of a seedling is to "tap" the bottom, and this tap root once finding the bottom, starts "establishing" itself in the container. Those first strong roots establish a wide base while examining the bottom and within a couple of days (in a proper sized container) the seedling will no longer swim around when watered. It will have developed enough roots down low in order to have "established" its position in the container. It is this point where I consider our young sprig to no longer be a seedling, but a vegeling, and the vegetative state in my mind starts then with the development of the first set of true leaves.

Seedlings are only that, for just a moment, just as germination is also simply a small mark in time. I consider a seedling to be a plant so small that it is not yet able to fend for itself, and not yet established in the soil it has found itself in. One of the first tasks of a seedling is to "tap" the bottom, and this tap root once finding the bottom, starts "establishing" itself in the container. Those first strong roots establish a wide base while examining the bottom and within a couple of days (in a proper sized container) the seedling will no longer swim around when watered. It will have developed enough roots down low in order to have "established" its position in the container. It is this point where I consider our young sprig to no longer be a seedling, but a vegeling, and the vegetative state in my mind starts then with the development of the first set of true leaves.

wow. Emilya, thank you for that explanation. I have no idea how many different sources I’ve looked at and everyone seems to have their own definition — often seemingly with no evidence to support it. This is the first time someone’s broken it down.

Day 17-19
I decided not to make daily updates on this log but instead make them in batches, so as to try not to spam my own post lol.
Over the last three days I’ve been dialing in my tent settings (I got a 2ft tent extension and it messed with my settings a bit) and light settings (I spoke to someone with a lot of knowledge with lights and the said that if you have the vertical space it’s better to run your light at full power at a larger distance so as to keep your lux in check, because of the distribution of light you get bouncing off the walls and hitting your lower leaves).

I have not yet watered again, as the plant's lower leaves are wilted and the top ones look okay, so that tells me there is still too much water at the very bottom and I don’t want to drown her.

however! I did top Greta a couple of days ago as well as begin very mild LST this morning. She’s quite stressed at the moment but I’m sure in a few hours she’ll be just fine. She’s looking absolutely lovely.

6A69C4D9-5E56-4677-88C0-1D1488EE0963.jpeg 33F6D2F7-4B7E-4B6D-B0DC-C5083FC4408D.jpeg D663122B-C08E-411F-95D0-8F7708164AA0.jpeg

It looks sort of buggy... look around carefully. Where did the tip of that leaf go?

i'm a dummy and accidentally ripped it off when trying to look through the microscope =\ but yeah... im inclined to agree with you about it looking buggy. i didnt see anything but...is there anything else that could be attributed to it overnight aside from bugs?

no, i can think of no deficiency that presents like this, but leaf miners do

uuuughhh i think you're absolutely right. i got your message and spent the morning dealing with it... squished the leaf that was damaged with my fingers, then put out a yellow sticky trap. Tonight i'll do a foliar spray top & bottom, and then repeat again in 7 days until bloom. Bugs, man....they suck.

Day 21:
Lots to talk about!
- I watered to runoff again, since her pot was very light and the last watering had been April 29th (7 days).

- I added her first feeding of FloraNova Grow (0.62ml/gal) and Floralocious Plus (0.13ml/gal)

- in order to combat whatever crawlers are in my plant/soil, I applied a foliar spray of Azamax (8ml for 26oz) and a soil drench of SNS 209 (0.84ml for 400ml water) after lights-out.
- this morning I woke up to Greta clawing some, but her color is healthy. She also has a single leaf with the smallest amount of “burn” on the very very tip. Like...one millimeters worth. I have two theories...one: she has nitrogen excess because she’s already a nitrogen sensitive strain and she’s sitting in soil that’s a mix of FF happy frog and FF ocean forest — FFOF is just far too hot. That, paired with the nutrients I added (I was encouraged to start feeding in order to get her to grow efficiently) probably caused some nitrogen toxicity. The other theory I have is that there are bugs causing it. But I doubt it.

- I also woke up to find another leaf kinda like the one I found yesterday. So either there’s some GODDANGED bug eating it (leaf miners perhaps) or there’s something funky going on with the soil.

- I also think she’s about to head into pre-flower stages! I’m starting to see little hairs wanting to emerge. So exciting! Zoom in on the pictures to see what I’m talking about.

- when i crushed her leaf between my finger (where I hope those gross larva eating it are) she left my fingers smelling like pure passion fruit. It was unbelievable. I hope her flowers smell ANYTHING like that. I straight up wanna eat the leaves.

- aside from her clawing, she actually looks very happy and healthy. I love this.

- for my next grow I’m definitely going to either grow ONLY in FF Happy Frog or try a totally different soil. I’d like a LOT more control in the feeding and nutrient schedule. I’ve found that soils with so many nutrients in them just kinda make it more difficult to grow/diagnose. Especially because Fox Farms hasn’t been exactly transparent with me about the levels of nutrition/amendments in their soil in our email exchanges. Someone told me to consider ProMix BX, but from what I’ve read, that’s more of a soilless medium and requires learning a new way of watering/feeding. Which I’m actually okay with, but I’m not sure if I’m jumping the gun.

Anyway...what do y’all think?? Any wisdom?

these pics are one from yesterday and one from this morning.

B9F9A7D0-6D2E-472B-AEC8-4189F09E33FF.jpeg AC44F1C7-7000-4C2B-8CF7-AC531A98B903.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom