Brocious719's Greenhorn Drip Satori 2011

brocious719

Strain: Satori
Indica/Sativa: Sativa dominant
Veg/Flower: Flower, week 5
Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor
Hydro/Soil: Hydro, Recirculating Drip (waterfarm modules and resevoir)
Medium: Hydroton
Lighting: 600 watt ac HPS
Hut Temp: 62-77 degrees F
Hut RH: 30-45% days, up to 65%@night
pH: kept between 6 and 6.5 via indicator drops
Pests: not that I know of
Feeding: 6 times a day 30 min. each
Nutes: Gh Flora Series
Two young clones arrived at my home on 02/17 after spending a few weeks vegging at a friends. At this time I was not completely ready as all I had for them was a 4x4x7 hut, a cheap ass 150 watt hps & reflector, a 125 watt cfl, and a 90 watt led flying saucer. On top of the poor lighting there was only passive ventilation and meager circulation and I had never even considered the fact that I have hard water here. Needless to say the girls were in for a fight.
DSCF05062.JPG

Time to fill in those blanks. 4 days after the girls got here (Feb23) I began to see some problems developing so I hit the web and decided I had a combo of problems. I mentioned the hard water earlier ... I had never even considered it an issue until I had done some studying(definitely looking @ RO for next grow). Also, I had not been mixing nutes myself. The friend that got me started had been taking care of this for me as I hadn't purchased any yet and had no clue on needed strengths. This had all kinda fell into my lap b4 I was prepared. So with the continued yellowing and distortions in leaves and general unhealthy look I decided to change water and nutes and did so. I am sure that my environment (lights,lack of ventilation/intake,etc) had some effect as well.
I ordered a new AC reflector to be paired with a 600 w hps that day and much to my suprise it arrived the next afternoon.
DSCF05151.JPG
What a difference!!! The girls seemed to like it. There were still issues but I figured it may take a little time for them to recover and didn't want to fall into the new farmer overreaction syndrome.
Sat. 02/26 the girls were put into 12/12 and at this time I really thought they might be on their way out. There was dry,curly,discolored growth on both plants and I had no idea what was going on. I considered heat but knew that I hadn't crested 82 degrees since they had arrived and thought that the nute and water change I had made earlier in the week would have taken care of whatever problems the hard water had caused. I forgot to mention I had been watching pH closely the entire time and as far as I could tell I had always kept it between 6 & 6.5. and, the water was aerated by two 12" airstones in the resevoir. The next day I had a visit from the provider of my girls and he was quite concerned with their appearance ... all he said was "they are not well". Come to find out my water levels were actually above the bottom of my waterfarm inserts and they girls were pretty much treading water for the last 4 days. At this point I removed several gallons of water from my resevoir so they were no longer swimming round the clock. The next morning the girls were both flushed and then given another, diluted, batch of water and nutes. I apologize for the lack of pics showing these problems but I didn't wanna remember it if I failed. I realize now that I should have in the pursuit of more knowledge.
Another four days had passed and the ladies seemed to be stable with new and green growth. I was beginning to believe they were going to make it:). After much reading on feeding schedules I had cut mine back from 240 min total to 150 min total. Didn't wanna drown them again.
DSCF05261.JPG
I still am not completely clear on what is best but currently feed 6 times a day @30min each and they're still with me. I do see some "tipping" here and there but am not sure whether it is nute strength or amount of feedings ... 'nother thread.
2nd week of flower began 03/06/11 and as far as I could see the girls were doing much better than they were. They looked green and healthy when pulled out for the nute change. At this point I had added fresh air to the tent via a bathroom exhaust fan I had laying around and kept the zippers of the hut open help expel it. I was also circulating with oscillating fans inside. I was sure that climate control was going to be an issue as the seasons were/are beginning to change and had a 6" centrifugal on the way. Temps hadn't been a huge problem but I wanted to dial things in and have a better air exchange. It had been a good day for the girls ... they looked comfortable. The next morning I installed my new fan and ducting and watched things closely all day. Had temps @72-73F and RH in the mid to upper 30% range all day long. It felt good to have things starting to come together. Over the next week I watched it all closely.
Sat. 3/12 began the 3rd week of flower and things seemed to be going ok.
DSCF05351.JPG
DSCF05362.JPG
DSCF05411.JPG

Another week has passed and I haven't lost the girls yet:yahoo: They look good as little hairs and clusters are beginnig to show all over.
DSCF05541.JPG
DSCF0555.JPG
I had loosened up on the amount of time I had spent fussing over every little detail at this point and began to focus some of my energy planning for the next grow. Wish I had been able to do that with this one but the opportunity came when it did and I had to grab it.
Spent the day helping my brother move on day 29 of flower and when I got home made my weekly nute/water change and took some pics.
DSCF05621.JPG
DSCF05631.JPG
DSCF05661.JPG
DSCF05801.JPG

So that brings me to today and the decision to get caught up on this journal that I should have been posting all along. I have gained a wealth of information from :420: and thank the staff and all those who contribute with their own journals and info. I've not been more excited about learning in a long time and it feels good.

Shouldn't be but a week or two 'til my first harvest ... so pumped! All in all my first grow has really been more of an adoption than anything but either way it has been awesome to watch these girls develop. Here are some pics from the weeks nute change (day 57 of flower)
DSCF06772.JPG
DSCF06751.JPG
DSCF06741.JPG

My trichs are still clear and some hairs are going amber ... I think this week will be the last of nutes and then I'm trying some final phase and a week of plain water flush. We'll see what they look like when I return from work on Thurs.
Here's a few more shots from yesterday
DSCF06701.JPG
DSCF06691.JPG
DSCF06641.JPG
DSCF06551.JPG
DSCF06541.JPG
:peace:

Nice work brocious! I have kind of a similar situation right now, I have some Snow White and NL vegging right now which are doing fantastic but in my flower cab I have my brothers plants that in had to save from the brink of death which has been a very good learning experience! your plants are looking great though, can't wait to see the harvest!

Patience indeed! +rep for making it this far lol. Im about to chop 2 of 4 of my brothers plants tomorrow. Shouldnt be much overall yield, im guessing 1 to 1 1/2 oz from all 4 but from where they were when i took them over im very happy with that! Just about to put my Snow White's in the flower box as soon as the others are done as the SW's are blowing up right now and i need to build a new veg box for them as it is! Check out my grow and you can see how they're doing!

Returned from work on the 28th to find the girls trichs going a bit more milky and some fan leaves discolored and twisted as if burnt. I believe the latter is another sign that they are close to harvest and with that decided to run a Final Phase flush on Fri. evening and began running straight ph'ed water on thier normal schedule. Will be preoccupied thinking about them all week while away for work. I wish I could post pics of the trichs but my point and shoot won't do the trick. Either way here's a few shots.
DSCF0683.JPG
DSCF06821.JPG
DSCF06813.JPG
DSCF06802.JPG
DSCF06791.JPG
With any luck I've made the right choice :). Oh, almost forgot ... made a dry tent out of materials left from other projects and some tarp zippers.
DSCF07172.JPG
DSCF07191.JPG
DSCF07201.JPG
DSCF07211.JPG
DSCF0722.JPG
:peace:

Those buds are looking HEAVY buddy! Nice work, good job on the makeshift dry box too! Chopped 2 of my rescued girls the other day. 13.1g dry from em before curing, the 1 other in the box has easily twice as much bud on it :) Not bad for a rescue! Cant wait to see your harvest!

Godisalie you make-a me laugh, luck and speed back to ya and Jango ... sounds good on the rescued nugs my friend! I rained out @ work and returned for the day to find the girls looking even more ready to offer themselves:).
DSCF0724.JPG
DSCF07271.JPG
DSCF0729.JPG
Not gonna take them yet but I did snip samplers from each plant and placed them in the dry box
DSCF0735.JPG
DSCF0734.JPG
DSCF0732.JPG
hoping for a tasty treat on bday next week

Back
Top Bottom