Brown mold after the rain

popcrnchicken

420 Member
Hello my fellow 420s,

So did not have a chance to put up my tarp liked I wanted to protect my babies from the rain. So now after 2 days of rain brown mold and bud rot are showing up. So far I’ve been shaking the rain off and trimming the effected area, but more are slowing showing up. So this morning I continue to trim and on top of that I did a foliage spray with 1gal water with 6 teaspoon of H2O2. The weather is MA have been cloudy and there might be some sun shine within the next two days. I will have to put up my tarp tomorrow, but should I continue to spray the whole plant with H2O2? In the middle of the picture you can see one branch with a brownish leave. Tips and idea would much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• D1671E36-F73A-428F-BAB6-46BCB9167A7E.jpeg
    D1671E36-F73A-428F-BAB6-46BCB9167A7E.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 165
Never heard of it helping with Bud Rot, I would think that you would be adding to the problem by adding more moisture plus spreading around what is there (but growing doesn't always follow logic, and just one of them IMHO/guess kind of things).

I already trim roughly 3 oz of bud already, and more are slowly showing up.

Attachments

• 9178F7B8-80B6-4DF1-84E7-6739938F98F9.jpeg
    9178F7B8-80B6-4DF1-84E7-6739938F98F9.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 143
Depends how bad mine goes I will do things different next year (leave in a pot so I can move them inside shed or find a way to cover them if/when it does rain during Flower) and maybe I'll try and research/find strains less susceptible to that as some do better than others on that. As we had a bunch of rain here last few days sun came out today but have a bad feeling I will be doing the same thing here in a day or two.

What do u guys do in time like this.
Look at the weather...if there's no break forecast in weather conducive to rot, I'd consider taking it down & curing. Especially since you're already losing buds.

Downside is, of course, reduced potency. But early harvests can be pretty good. & fan leaves can be used for oil that'll provide a good buzz.

Upsides are: 1) not needing to keep inspecting every single bud; 2) limiting risk of major spread & loss.

Another approach is to harvest about half & see what happens to what's left, keeping on top of it, pun intended.

I've done both under similar circumstances. Best with it!

Grow on!

Depends how bad mine goes I will do things different next year (leave in a pot so I can move them inside shed or find a way to cover them if/when it does rain during Flower) and maybe I'll try and research/find strains less susceptible to that as some do better than others on that. As we had a bunch of rain here last few days sun came out today but have a bad feeling I will be doing the same thing here in a day or two.
Autumn in the PNW is a trying time for outdoor growers.

Strain selection helps hugely. I won't grow anything with more than 9 weeks flowering time (even though many of my faves to consume have much longer flower times) & look for strains with decent resistance.

I've got one strain already jarred...(sorry bout the crappy pic)
and this one's going down monday:

It'd probably be smart for me to abandon growing immobile plants in my garden w/o cover, but I think I'm more obstinate than smart.

Hope you weather the weather!

It'd probably be smart for me to abandon growing immobile plants in my garden w/o cover, but I think I'm more obstinate than smart.

Hope you weather the weather!

I didn't know I had a long lost Brother ;):rofl: sounds just like me

Hope you do too, of course I have two different strains than I did last year (so I need to research a bit more), the Dairy Queen leaned more Sativa so gave me more rot problems than the Lilac Jack did last year. This years the Crown Royal may be the same issue and the Blue Widow will give me less grief, but we shall find out soon enough ;)

I guess another lesson learn for me, and a Tough decision to make. I am crying as we speak they all look so beautiful
Not an easy decision to make, but pick the one you feel most comfortable (or given the context, the least uncomfortable with).

Coupla yrs ago, I ended up throwing in the towel & chopping my entire grow about 2 weeks early--I was cutting rot out of buds & PM-infested leaves daily, leading up to the chop. & no break in the weather in sight & so, pulled the plug on the entire grow with pruners. I was sorta heartbroken.

After trimming & curing, I found that I really liked the early harvest, even though it wasn't at peak potency. What was disappointing is now what I regularly do.

It is a tough decision.

But nature owes us nothing. (Which is a good thing, because if it were otherwise we'd probably have already been obliterated as payback.)

Out of the 9 I got, the two that have been effected the most, the middle of the plant’s leaf trichome are cloudy or turning cloudy. I’m planning on to chopping that tomorrow. As for the rest, I am putting a cover over them and try to buy as much time as I can and hope for the best.

Out of the 9 I got, the two that have been effected the most, the middle of the plant’s leaf trichome are cloudy or turning cloudy. I’m planning on to chopping that tomorrow. As for the rest, I am putting a cover over them and try to buy as much time as I can and hope for the best.
Great plan. May be all you need to do.

I've done grows where I had some bud rot problems w/ some plants, but not others. So, yr remaining strains may have more resistance, though vigilance is always necessary.

Speaking of which, you'll need to inspect everything when trimming. A small bit of rot can make a jar full taste terrible.

Rot infected buds can be used for oil, too, if they are well decarb'd first.

Hope you weather the weather from here on out.

What do u guys do in time like this.
This applies to growing quantity:
I’ve never chopped an entire plant at once because of mold.. I chop off infected areas and move on.. My goal is to get my monsters as close to finish as possible. I would rather pull 16 ounces of finished bud than chop an entire plant early and have small, unfinished leafy shit. Far too often I see friends flip out over the first signs of mold and chop everything wayyyyyy to early to cut their losses ( this is understandable if you don’t have a lot of plants), when ideally if they were to chop infected buds they would at least get some finished buds ( dependent on upcomming weather, strains, amount of plants and much more)
This is one of the leading factors as to why I grow plenty of outdoor monsters. I expect bud rot loss every year where I live.

FACT:::: On a typical yr, and on a typical 10 foot bush tree, I can expect to loose at the least a quarter of every plant to mold before they finish.. Sometimes a lot more.. With that being said, in my area this has been far from a typical September. Multiple WEEKS of the worst conditions possible for stacking buds.

Not an easy decision to make, but pick the one you feel most comfortable (or given the context, the least uncomfortable with).

Coupla yrs ago, I ended up throwing in the towel & chopping my entire grow about 2 weeks early--I was cutting rot out of buds & PM-infested leaves daily, leading up to the chop. & no break in the weather in sight & so, pulled the plug on the entire grow with pruners.

Very well said and very good advice right there.. Best way to go about dealing with mold on a backyard garden...

And do the usual to avoid rot...which is a major consideration in my area. Sometimes rainy autumns, always lotsa dew daily after mid Sept.

Early in the season, I train so that the buds won't be touching each other in fall & prune for airflow. Plus I stick w/ fairly early finishers & mold-resistant strains. Happy to say that this early girl's already down & jarred:
As is its even earlier sister/cousin (wayyyy dif. pheno).
Couple others still out there, but I think they're gonna be alright...home stretch now

Close to harvest with rain foercast, cut all the tops off, as this is where the rot will strike.... id rather a smoke from an early harvest than one that's ready but lost to mold... allow the rest of the plant to finish as it would.. the lesser formed flowers should fare better through the rain period...

This applies to growing quantity:
I’ve never chopped an entire plant at once because of mold.. I chop off infected areas and move on.. My goal is to get my monsters as close to finish as possible. I would rather pull 16 ounces of finished bud than chop an entire plant early and have small, unfinished leafy shit. Far too often I see friends flip out over the first signs of mold and chop everything wayyyyyy to early to cut their losses ( this is understandable if you don’t have a lot of plants), when ideally if they were to chop infected buds they would at least get some finished buds ( dependent on upcomming weather, strains, amount of plants and much more)
This is one of the leading factors as to why I grow plenty of outdoor monsters. I expect bud rot loss every year where I live.

FACT:::: On a typical yr, and on a typical 10 foot bush tree, I can expect to loose at the least a quarter of every plant to mold before they finish.. Sometimes a lot more.. With that being said, in my area this has been far from a typical September. Multiple WEEKS of the worst conditions possible for stacking buds.
That's a very solid approach & one I think more growers should adopt...plan on some losses, move on when they happen, and enjoy what survives.

Attitude's important: Que sera, que sera.

On my end, one thing that helps me maintain that attitude is that I spend hardly anything on my grows. It's mainly just the labor & that's gotta go somewhere anyways, plus I thoroughly enjoy growing/gardening, tending compost, etc.

Hello my fellow 420s,

So did not have a chance to put up my tarp liked I wanted to protect my babies from the rain. So now after 2 days of rain brown mold and bud rot are showing up. So far I’ve been shaking the rain off and trimming the effected area, but more are slowing showing up. So this morning I continue to trim and on top of that I did a foliage spray with 1gal water with 6 teaspoon of H2O2. The weather is MA have been cloudy and there might be some sun shine within the next two days. I will have to put up my tarp tomorrow, but should I continue to spray the whole plant with H2O2? In the middle of the picture you can see one branch with a brownish leave. Tips and idea would much appreciated.

Thanks.
Give light shakes to girls/plants in the morning and after rain falls if you can :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom