Brown & white spots & curled crispy leaves

Whippedcream79

420 Member
Hello all, I hope everyone is healthy and getting great harvests!
I’ma newbie grower and running into some issues.
My friend gave me this beautiful plant to grow. He mixed his own soil -( wormcast and stuff) .
89FFF81E-EBC1-4481-8003-205C8F2BEC3F.jpeg

The pic above was taken a week ago.
It’s in a 3 gal Fabric pot, using a full spec 100w Led but in a small 40x40x120 cm tent so The light is only 10 inches away from the canopy. Lights are on 12/12, Watering every 3/4 days until runoff(started to add calmag for last watering)

For ventilation got 2 clip fans inside top and bottom, a mini dehumidifier and a bottle of Sugar+ yeast for co2.

I live in hot and humid place so I’m doing my best keep the temps and humidity right (25-30c, 45-65%)

It is now around week 4 of flower and spots are coming up on top and bottom leaves. Would appreciate it if anyone could guide me on this
A200D02D-3764-4BAB-93A3-64AAF74F66A2.jpeg
99993C06-3FDF-4AB4-AAB4-009737BCD8EB.jpeg
B351D6C4-55F2-4FD3-9F88-8096A4D38D80.jpeg
880EE1D7-B305-438D-AD84-0F0270A80CAD.jpeg

5F34A5F7-674D-45A6-8B3A-AE9EE81EF610.jpeg

Hello all, I hope everyone is healthy and getting great harvests!
I’ma newbie grower and running into some issues.
My friend gave me this beautiful plant to grow. He mixed his own soil -( wormcast and stuff) .
89FFF81E-EBC1-4481-8003-205C8F2BEC3F.jpeg

The pic above was taken a week ago.
It’s in a 3 gal Fabric pot, using a full spec 100w Led but in a small 40x40x120 cm tent so The light is only 10 inches away from the canopy. Lights are on 12/12, Watering every 3/4 days until runoff(started to add calmag for last watering)

For ventilation got 2 clip fans inside top and bottom, a mini dehumidifier and a bottle of Sugar+ yeast for co2.

I live in hot and humid place so I’m doing my best keep the temps and humidity right (25-30c, 45-65%)

It is now around week 4 of flower and spots are coming up on top and bottom leaves. Would appreciate it if anyone could guide me on this
A200D02D-3764-4BAB-93A3-64AAF74F66A2.jpeg
99993C06-3FDF-4AB4-AAB4-009737BCD8EB.jpeg
B351D6C4-55F2-4FD3-9F88-8096A4D38D80.jpeg
880EE1D7-B305-438D-AD84-0F0270A80CAD.jpeg

5F34A5F7-674D-45A6-8B3A-AE9EE81EF610.jpeg
Good morning my friend, welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Sorry about your lady.
Have you been giving any nutrients or cal mag?
Have you been ph'ing your feed water to 6.3 ph?
These things will improve her health.
@GeoFlora Nutrients would be perfect for you.
If you want to meet everyone and say hi here is a link.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Good morning my friend, welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Sorry about your lady.
Have you been giving any nutrients or cal mag?
Have you been ph'ing your feed water to 6.3 ph?
These things will improve her health.
If you want to meet everyone and say hi here is a link.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Nice to meet you . Thank you for spending time to read my post. I shall pop over and say Hi to fellow growers and introduce myself.

The strain is unknown , it’s a bag seed which my friend started off.
I had only watered it with filtered tap water(ph strips tested around 7-7.5, tds reading is around 70) Then my newbie mind thought it would be a good idea to feed it since it’s in early flowering stage.
So I mixed 1 tbs/ gallon of calmag and bloom nute 10-52-17 which 2 weeks ago.
The following few days, problems started to get worse which I stopped giving nutes and only Calmag since then.

Welcome to the group. From what I can see your plants are doing good, good enough that even as bad as they may look to you and some of us, the problems can be fixed.

People are going to be asking questions as a way to get an idea of what your grow is like, what you are doing and most importantly it helps many of us relate to your style of growing. It looks like a normal situation where the plant is not getting the proper amounts of one or more of the nutrients it needs.

It seems that you have what many of us call a soil grow. Wormcastings (wormcast is a weird word and throws me off :)) are a popular amendment to add to soil grows. But, the rest of the mix could be part of the problem. It will help to know what "stuff" is. Is the "stuff" some dirt from the backyard or if it is one of the amendments that is added to a super-soil mix. Or, was it a bag of potting soil from the hardware store?

I had only watered it with filtered tap water(ph strips tested around 7-7.5, tds reading is around 70)
The pH of the water is not under control. It is high and you should try to get it down as soon as possible. Some people have trouble trying to figure out the color change on the strips but it is easy with a bit of practice. You could double check your readings by testing with one of the "drop" kits which are inexpensive at tropical fish or pool stores.

Let's go on the belief that you read the strip right. Buy a pH down product and get it down to 6.3 pH, the number that should be what works for a soil growing. Don't worry about the 'dissolved solids' since the soil will take care of that for you once things are closer to being under control.

It might seem that knowing all this stuff is a lot of work but after a short time it falls into place. Your plants have entered flowering and will need an improved feeding or fertilizing schedule. Put the Cal-Mag product into the water and shake it up or whatever is needed to mix it. Then let it sit for at least 15 minutes; just let it sit there. Then add the other fertilizer, mix and start to pour.

The schedule will have to be changed. Time to start thinking about a fertilizing or feeding once a week. The amounts of your Bloom Nutrient that should be used and the schedule should be on the package somewhere. Doing it every 2 or 3 weeks probably will not be enough to bring the plants back around.

It does not take long and choosing the fertilizers, amounts and scheduling will become second nature and is no longer confusing.

If we know what the "soil 'stuff'" is we can also explain what is missing from the mix.

Welcome to the group. From what I can see your plants are doing good, good enough that even as bad as they may look to you and some of us, the problems can be fixed.

People are going to be asking questions as a way to get an idea of what your grow is like, what you are doing and most importantly it helps many of us relate to your style of growing. It looks like a normal situation where the plant is not getting the proper amounts of one or more of the nutrients it needs.

It seems that you have what many of us call a soil grow. Wormcastings (wormcast is a weird word and throws me off :)) are a popular amendment to add to soil grows. But, the rest of the mix could be part of the problem. It will help to know what "stuff" is. Is the "stuff" some dirt from the backyard or if it is one of the amendments that is added to a super-soil mix. Or, was it a bag of potting soil from the hardware store?

The pH of the water is not under control. It is high and you should try to get it down as soon as possible. Some people have trouble trying to figure out the color change on the strips but it is easy with a bit of practice. You could double check your readings by testing with one of the "drop" kits which are inexpensive at tropical fish or pool stores.

Let's go on the belief that you read the strip right. Buy a pH down product and get it down to 6.3 pH, the number that should be what works for a soil growing. Don't worry about the 'dissolved solids' since the soil will take care of that for you once things are closer to being under control.

It might seem that knowing all this stuff is a lot of work but after a short time it falls into place. Your plants have entered flowering and will need an improved feeding or fertilizing schedule. Put the Cal-Mag product into the water and shake it up or whatever is needed to mix it. Then let it sit for at least 15 minutes; just let it sit there. Then add the other fertilizer, mix and start to pour.

The schedule will have to be changed. Time to start thinking about a fertilizing or feeding once a week. The amounts of your Bloom Nutrient that should be used and the schedule should be on the package somewhere. Doing it every 2 or 3 weeks probably will not be enough to bring the plants back around.

It does not take long and choosing the fertilizers, amounts and scheduling will become second nature and is no longer confusing.

If we know what the "soil 'stuff'" is we can also explain what is missing from the mix.
Hi Smoking wings:)

First of all I would like to thank you for your time typing all this out to help me ! I appreciate it!

I am happy to hear that it has a chance to be fixed!
I’ve ask my friend what’s inside the soil mix: Wormcasting, chicken manure (Nitrogen + iron) and a different chicken manure (phosphorus + calcium).

Bought some ph paper and a cheap tds pen and see what the numbers are in run off. I watered with 1 tsp Calmag / gallon of tap water rested for 2 days. I watered slowly and equally in Intervals.
Runoff measured low ph on strip couldn’t be sure if it was in 5 or 6 zone…. Tds measured 4000 and Ec was like 2000 . I panicked when I saw those numbers and went to pour another half gallon of water in to kind of rinse it out ..

My watering amount is usually until I get like a little runoff and schedule is based on the dryness of soil. I poke my finger in and lift the pot to be sure.

really nice going for a first run. you're doing good.

literally the least available nute in the entire world. unless in the contiguous US you have a better chance of sourcing canned unicorn meat.

My watering amount is usually until I get like a little runoff and schedule is based on the dryness of soil. I poke my finger in and lift the pot to be sure.

here's a link on watering technique. there really isn't a better one

i'm not much help on the issue. it looks a bit like a calcium problem to me, but i expect it to be inter-veinal. all the damage right on the veins itself suggest a pest almost .... this pic in particular caught my attention

b351d6c4-55f2-4fd3-9f88-8096a4d38d80-jpeg.2542648

that appears to me to be more than a nute issue. i would get a loupe on that all over the leaf to determine if you have a mite or other pest issue.

there may some unrelated ph trouble, but i kind of discount that as you seem to be using a water only built soil where ph would not come in to play. unless it's really wildly out i can't see that being a problem.

it is pulling more p and k now that it is in flower, and the cannibalizing of the leaves is consistent with a plant looking for more. the spotting isn't correct though and has me concerned.

really nice going for a first run. you're doing good.

literally the least available nute in the entire world. unless in the contiguous US you have a better chance of sourcing canned unicorn meat.

here's a link on watering technique. there really isn't a better one

i'm not much help on the issue. it looks a bit like a calcium problem to me, but i expect it to be inter-veinal. all the damage right on the veins itself suggest a pest almost .... this pic in particular caught my attention

b351d6c4-55f2-4fd3-9f88-8096a4d38d80-jpeg.2542648

that appears to me to be more than a nute issue. i would get a loupe on that all over the leaf to determine if you have a mite or other pest issue.

there may some unrelated ph trouble, but i kind of discount that as you seem to be using a water only built soil where ph would not come in to play. unless it's really wildly out i can't see that being a problem.

it is pulling more p and k now that it is in flower, and the cannibalizing of the leaves is consistent with a plant looking for more. the spotting isn't correct though and has me concerned.
Hi Bluter,

I appreciate your time and help :)

I don’t have many proper tools, but I asked my wife for her jewelry magnifying lens to have a peek on the leaves. No signs of living creatures, but It looks like it’s dried up like autumn leaves. The soil seems damp but by lifting the pot seems that could give a watering tomorrow evening. Humidity around 45%, temps 27c

Here’s some update pics:
328159B3-CE82-465A-883F-AD75DDCB500F.jpeg
E24C6CE7-EB04-43B5-A4D8-09727788156C.jpeg
CF32B0E4-6EC6-4B98-A9E9-6E5DBAE359D3.jpeg
31A03F4E-B36C-4734-8DA4-5A74D698ABCF.jpeg
2AB260BC-BADC-43A9-B4C1-CD885096BD90.jpeg
7C671D67-E752-4A7F-A27D-F07A9D52F897.jpeg
231BCEA7-240C-4171-A1F7-C6EC5FFE0898.jpeg

i'm seeing the odd random white spot that doesn't belong .. so i think you have mites. you can't really do much but ride it out anyway at this point. you really have to eradicate them in veg and hope you run clean through flower.

it's good to know if they are present though. as a single infection will linger and get worse infecting multiple grows to the point it shuts you down. the buggers can go dormant until there is an opportunity. the space would need both a physical and a chemical cleaning to get it squared. then a short period of rest while the chemicals gas off.

you'll need at least 30 - 40x magnification to get close enough to see. i have a 60 i use just for mites. but the smaller should pick them up.

mites are smaller than dust, and travel on simple breezes and wind currents. you can have them all over yourself and not know it. i've gone to help other growers with a pest issue then returned and infected my own space unknowingly.

edit : my final call is you need a bit more p and k and have a small but growing pest issue. it's not a bad grow. i've fought worse at this stage.

Hi Bluter,

I appreciate your time and help :)

I don’t have many proper tools, but I asked my wife for her jewelry magnifying lens to have a peek on the leaves. No signs of living creatures, but It looks like it’s dried up like autumn leaves. The soil seems damp but by lifting the pot seems that could give a watering tomorrow evening. Humidity around 45%, temps 27c

Here’s some update pics:
328159B3-CE82-465A-883F-AD75DDCB500F.jpeg
E24C6CE7-EB04-43B5-A4D8-09727788156C.jpeg
CF32B0E4-6EC6-4B98-A9E9-6E5DBAE359D3.jpeg
31A03F4E-B36C-4734-8DA4-5A74D698ABCF.jpeg
2AB260BC-BADC-43A9-B4C1-CD885096BD90.jpeg
7C671D67-E752-4A7F-A27D-F07A9D52F897.jpeg
231BCEA7-240C-4171-A1F7-C6EC5FFE0898.jpeg
I apologize for the late reply :Namaste:
But some of our finest members have jumped in with some sage advice.
Hopefully you get a handle on your nutrients just remember calmag , wait 15 minutes, nutrients then last thing you do is set your ph to 6.3 oh yeah temp should be 18 - 20 c.
And make sure your pot isn't sitting on concrete floor cold feet makes it harder for her to eat.
We have charts and graphs and tutorials for anything you need so don't hesitate to ask.
Here is a link for just about every question you have aswell.

Hope your having a great day my friend.
Oh @bluter :ciao: Was that Unicorn the veg or flower? I can never remember :rofl:
Thanks buddy I laughed my tucas off at that one:thumb:

Stay safe everyone ;)
Bill

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i'm seeing the odd random white spot that doesn't belong .. so i think you have mites. you can't really do much but ride it out anyway at this point. you really have to eradicate them in veg and hope you run clean through flower.

it's good to know if they are present though. as a single infection will linger and get worse infecting multiple grows to the point it shuts you down. the buggers can go dormant until there is an opportunity. the space would need both a physical and a chemical cleaning to get it squared. then a short period of rest while the chemicals gas off.

you'll need at least 30 - 40x magnification to get close enough to see. i have a 60 i use just for mites. but the smaller should pick them up.

mites are smaller than dust, and travel on simple breezes and wind currents. you can have them all over yourself and not know it. i've gone to help other growers with a pest issue then returned and infected my own space unknowingly.

edit : my final call is you need a bit more p and k and have a small but growing pest issue. it's not a bad grow. i've fought worse at this stage.
Hi bluter,

Sad! :( ... Would wiping leaves with diluted bleach or trimming those leaves off do any good?
If not, I guess all I can do now is water, feed and give my best to help her through harvest._."" Will look around for a 60x and have a closer look at those buggers!

Will give her more P & K as you suggested and hope for the best! :)

I apologize for the late reply :Namaste:
But some of our finest members have jumped in with some sage advice.
Hopefully you get a handle on your nutrients just remember calmag , wait 15 minutes, nutrients then last thing you do is set your ph to 6.3 oh yeah temp should be 18 - 20 c.
And make sure your pot isn't sitting on concrete floor cold feet makes it harder for her to eat.
We have charts and graphs and tutorials for anything you need so don't hesitate to ask.
Here is a link for just about every question you have aswell.

Hope your having a great day my friend.
Oh @bluter :ciao: Was that Unicorn the veg or flower? I can never remember :rofl:
Thanks buddy I laughed my tucas off at that one:thumb:

Stay safe everyone ;)
Bill
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the helpful tips ~ You guys here are the kindest people :)

Will keep the calmag in mind for every water ! I will use distilled vinegar to adjust the Ph , would that be a problem?
Currently using Ph strips for readings because the numbers on the cheap ph meter Does NoT look right to me!

Thanks for the helpful links! Will spend some time to educate myself :)

Happy friday :ganjamon:

If it is bugs, you can use Safer's Soap all the way thru flower. It is a true soap and works by dissolving the exoskeleton of bugs, dehydrating them to death.

It is a contact killer, meaning you have to actually spray the bug to kill it. A bug landing on a freshly sprayed leaf would be largely unaffected.

Spray it on, let it dry and then rinse it off.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the helpful tips ~ You guys here are the kindest people :)

Will keep the calmag in mind for every water ! I will use distilled vinegar to adjust the Ph , would that be a problem?
Currently using Ph strips for readings because the numbers on the cheap ph meter Does NoT look right to me!

Thanks for the helpful links! Will spend some time to educate myself :)

Happy friday :ganjamon:
Good morning whipped cream. :ciao:
Although vinegar does work to bring ph down is not as effective as actual pH down or up you get at your grow shop.
Lasts longer too.
Are you referring to the ph probes?
Your right they aren't accurate.
Aprila or Blue planet make decent ph meters, fairly well priced.
Might be easier on yourself to grab some new equipment and be ready. :Namaste:
Glad your getting help and meeting people.
Have a great weekend my friend.

Bill

If it is bugs, you can use Safer's Soap all the way thru flower. It is a true soap and works by dissolving the exoskeleton of bugs, dehydrating them to death.

It is a contact killer, meaning you have to actually spray the bug to kill it. A bug landing on a freshly sprayed leaf would be largely unaffected.

Spray it on, let it dry and then rinse it off.
Hi Azimuth, thank you. Just ordered some soap and see if that helps!
Since where I live is a super humid place(up to 90 somedays) , would you recommend me wiping the soap on leaves instead of spraying? If spraying is the only method, should I spray the buds too? Thanks in advance :yummy:

Good morning whipped cream. :ciao:
Although vinegar does work to bring ph down is not as effective as actual pH down or up you get at your grow shop.
Lasts longer too.
Are you referring to the ph probes?
Your right they aren't accurate.
Aprila or Blue planet make decent ph meters, fairly well priced.
Might be easier on yourself to grab some new equipment and be ready. :Namaste:
Glad your getting help and meeting people.
Have a great weekend my friend.

Bill
Good morning Bill, I will stick to ph strips for now, will look for some PH up/down and drops over the weekend.... should of been prepared before accepting the girl :oops:
Anyway, its a great learning experience for me tho :) Glad to have found this forum and meeting you all !

Hope you enjoy your weekend too:peace:

Hi Azimuth, thank you. Just ordered some soap and see if that helps!
Since where I live is a super humid place(up to 90 somedays) , would you recommend me wiping the soap on leaves instead of spraying? If spraying is the only method, should I spray the buds too? Thanks in advance :yummy:
You need to spray it to get in as many nooks and crannies as you can. The bugs are really small and you'd need a loop to see them so there is no chance you could cover your plant effectively by wiping it on. And do the whole plant, flowers and undersides of the leaves too.  And the top of the soil.

Checking the dryness of the soil by lifting the pot and the finger poke are both popular methods. The pot lifting technique is considered more accurate.

But checking the dryness before watering is not all there is to setting up the schedule. The fertilizing part has to be included and I get the feeling that you have been missing that. The schedule has to be more than just figuring out how many days between watering. It has to include when the fertilizing will take place and that usually means every other watering.

A typical schedule for plants that are beyond their seedling stager will look something like this---water, water & fertilizer, water, water & fertilizer, water...or for some growers it might look like this---water, water, water & fertilizer, water, water, water & fertilizer, water, water. When the schedule starts to involve having more than two watering sessions in a row without a water & fertilizer session is when small deficiency problems often start to show up.

Then my newbie mind thought it would be a good idea to feed it since it’s in early flowering stage.
The following few days, problems started to get worse which I stopped giving nutes and only Calmag since then.
Your comment about doing a water with fertilizer and then when the leaves did not look better after 2 weeks you did not do it again is what caught my attention. That is pretty much the same as giving the plant 1/3 of the recommended amounts of fertilizer. What would have been better would be to give it the fertilizer and then again sometime the next week and then again a week later, etc.

The water only part of the schedule is up to the soil and the plant. The part when the water includes the fertilizer is up to your observations of what is happening with the plant and the recommendations from the company that put the fertilizer on the market.

At first is sounds complicated and almost impossible to figure out. But, it falls into place before long.

Back
Top Bottom