Bryan's Soil In & Outdoor Grow 2020

Bnelly

Hey all, I figured the best way for me to learn from mistakes and hopefully from others mistakes and knowledge is to make this journal. This is my first time growing, I'm about 1.5 months in for my oldest plant, out of 5 fem seeds that I bought only 1 has made it but she has been nothing but a cake walk to grow so far. I am about 2 - 3 weeks on the rest of the bunch. I started with 10 GDP fem seeds, of which 6 have sprouted and shown great signs so far. I consider this a massive win with a 60% germ rate this time vs. the 20% from the first time around. With the GDP I was given 2 free Skywalker Hybrid feminized seeds, only 1 has made it.

The strains I am growing are:

(1) Blue Berry Kush (Indica Hybrid) - 1 plant
20200414_195931.jpg 20200414_195936.jpg

(2) Granddaddy Purple (Indica) - 6 Plants
20200414_195512_HDR.jpg
(3) Skywalker Ghost Triangle Kush (Indica Hybrid) - 1 Plant, this one is 1 of 2 free SGTK fem seeds I was given with my GDP seeds.
20200414_072945.jpg

Now that you've met the girls onto the grow media and important stuff.
Soil
For the seedlings I am using "Sungro Black Gold Seed Starting Mix" and then transplanting into 5 gal fabric pots with FFOF and FFHF and I am adding 20% perlite since I've already noticed water retention with the BBK soil.
The Blueberry Kush I am only using FFOF since I didn't read into mixing and adding perlite.

Lighting
I am working on pushing all the plants outdoors ASAP, the Blueberry Kush is now outside ~75% of the time, it's still too cold here at night to comfortably leave her out there, so I bring her inside once it gets dark and leaving my room light on to get what extra bit I can out of the day.
I also have 2 grow lamps, I have a 60w full spectrum that I use for the bigger seedlings, and a 30w blurple lamp that I am using for the smallest seedling. I am only using the lamps at night or when it is too cloudy for good light, which seems to be quite a bit for my area.
While continuing on the grow lamps I also have a real small tower fan that I started using to blow over the plants while inside.

Temps/RH
Temperature has been around mid to high 60s during the day and low 50s at night. although I do feel the past few days have been in the 70s, my forecast doesn't show it.
Inside my house I keep it at 70-75 during the day and 60-65 at night.
RH is around 60ish, I live only a few miles from the ocean so it's nice and just humid enough.

Ph of soil/water
I just flushed my seedlings with 6.2 Ph water on Monday, I fed small amount of nutes because they looked droopy and yellowing out, I think that locked of some nutes and made the progression even worse, eventually causing pretty bad damage to the early leaves. After the flush plants have rebounded very well today. I have not had the chance to check the Ph of my BBK plant, I fed last Friday and got my Ph meter a few days ago.

Nutrients
MG All Purpose, I have Cal Mag showing up Thursday. So far these are the only nutes I've thought of.

I am waiting to see if the leaves on my BBK plant will perk back up after drying out a bit or if it's the LST causing them to be droopy. I have decided on mainlining most of if not all of the plants, we have a small fence and live on a hill so neighbors can look into the yard, don't want big ol' trees out back lol. So far I have topped twice and the 4 new growth tips are growing beautifully.

When my pots and extra soil arrive I will be looking at transplanting them to their final 5 gal pots and out of the super tiny ones they're in now.

I only have 1 weirdish plant and she is right here
20200414_195624.jpg
She sprouted with both cotyledons facing directly down, slowly she has erected but there is still about a 45 degree kink in the stem. Also, below the kink is looking pretty skinny compared to above, any advice on strengthening and straightening this girl out?

Goodness that was a lot, I'll add more as the days go by and plants get bigger. Have a fantastic night/day! :ganjamon:

Hey all and good morning! So I woke up this morning to find a weird white substance, its white under lights but a light green otherwise, on 2 of my GDP plants. No idea what it is. It started off only with the one tall plant but this morning it was on the shorter plant as well
20200415_073449.jpg 20200415_073533.jpg

Edit: I just saw the yellow on the leaf tip, went back and verified that it was only the morning sunrise hitting it weird.

So after doing some reading and digging I do believe it to be Thrips or Spidermites. I'm gonna get some ladybugs from the Ace by my house and let them handle it from here. I do not know if the second picture is of a thrip but it was around when I was looking and figured it couldn't hurt to get some opinions and documentation of it
20200415_095256.jpg
20200415_163443.jpg

Let’s get @InTheShed up in your grow. He’s an outdoor Cali grower too.

Assuming you have photos... I’d recommend getting a bag of Promix or Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and some 5-10 gallon felts bags. Don’t get the cheap Black ones.

Optional:
Get some Great White Mica or some type of root stimulator while you’re at it for transplant.

Get an extra bag of #4 perlite and mix it with the bag of Fox Farm. Shed can comment for the Promix.

GLN Mega Crop is pretty hot right now for semi “organics”. True organics would be a whole other conversation. Fox Farm Trio is a classic. I think for my next grow (if I don’t go back to organics) will be DynaGro, Age Old, or give MC another try.

Be sure to read my “how to water properly“ link in my signature. Absolute gold!

Assuming you have photos... I’d recommend getting a bag of Promix or Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and some 5-10 gallon felts bags. Don’t get the cheap Black ones.

Optional:
Get some Great White Mica or some type of root stimulator while you’re at it for transplant.

Get an extra bag of #4 perlite and mix it with the bag of Fox Farm. Shed can comment for the Promix.

GLN Mega Crop is pretty hot right now for semi “organics”. True organics would be a whole other conversation. Fox Farm Trio is a classic. I think for my next grow (if I don’t go back to organics) will be DynaGro, Age Old, or give MC another try.

Ps... if money/time/ease is not a big factor... buy some URB and go organic.

Optional:

Here are the pots I got, idk if these are the cheap ones you are talking about. Its slim pickings with stores and factories and etc being shut down.
I just received my cal/mag plus today, still letting them dry out a bit before feeding though
I got lucky and ordered some #4 perlite by chance, all I looked for was perlite lol I'll take my little win.
Definitely gonna look into those other nutes as well to round everything out.
I will make sure to give your watering link a read!
Screenshot_20200415-210323.png

Thanks for the shout Adam! How did you know I had time to stop by?

I am working on pushing all the plants outdoors ASAP, the Blueberry Kush is now outside ~75% of the time, it's still too cold here at night to comfortably leave her out there, so I bring her inside once it gets dark and leaving my room light on to get what extra bit I can out of the day.
I also have 2 grow lamps, I have a 60w full spectrum that I use for the bigger seedlings, and a 30w blurple lamp that I am using for the smallest seedling. I am only using the lamps at night or when it is too cloudy for good light, which seems to be quite a bit for my area.
Hi nelly and welcome to the 420mag! I grow outside and in and I'm in Los Angeles. My plants live outside all day (weather permitting) and inside under lights all night to keep them from flowering (unless I'm flowering some and then they get 12 hours of indoor darkness). So they all get moved twice a day every day.

And I'm in ProMix HP, which I really like. No need to pH your nutes which saves a lot of time and trouble. I get mine from Lowes.
Temperature has been around mid to high 60s during the day and low 50s at night. although I do feel the past few days have been in the 70s, my forecast doesn't show it.
It's often a lot warmer in the sun than the air temps are (radiant heat and all!), so I've put my plants out in the high 50s during the day if it's sunny.
MG All Purpose, I have Cal Mag showing up Thursday. So far these are the only nutes I've thought of.
Is that Miracle Grow All Purpose that is recommended for feeding every 1-2 weeks? It's not recommended for our plants so I'd stick to using that up on your outside garden. It's also incredibly high in nitrogen compared to the other nutrients.

There are loads of good cannabis nutes out there but that's not one. Adam and I are both using MegaCrop from Greenleaf Nutrients and it's pretty simple to use. Other's like DynaGrow or FoxFarms Trio or General Hydro. All good brands.
a weird white substance,
Thrips or mites as you said. Thrips if the spots look silvery at an angle, mites if the spots are just white. Get a bottle of Southern Ag Neem oil from Home Depot or Amazon and mix it per the directions. Works on almost all bugs and it's good through the veg stage.
Here are the pots I got
Those look fine, but get your nutes sorted out quickly!

Thanks for the shout Adam! How did you know I had time to stop by?

Hi nelly and welcome to the 420mag! I grow outside and in and I'm in Los Angeles. My plants live outside all day (weather permitting) and inside under lights all night to keep them from flowering (unless I'm flowering some and then they get 12 hours of indoor darkness). So they all get moved twice a day every day.

And I'm in ProMix HP, which I really like. No need to pH your nutes which saves a lot of time and trouble. I get mine from Lowes.

It's often a lot warmer in the sun than the air temps are (radiant heat and all!), so I've put my plants out in the high 50s during the day if it's sunny.

Is that Miracle Grow All Purpose that is recommended for feeding every 1-2 weeks? It's not recommended for our plants so I'd stick to using that up on your outside garden. It's also incredibly high in nitrogen compared to the other nutrients.

There are loads of good cannabis nutes out there but that's not one. Adam and I are both using MegaCrop from Greenleaf Nutrients and it's pretty simple to use. Other's like DynaGrow or FoxFarms Trio or General Hydro. All good brands.

Thrips or mites as you said. Thrips if the spots look silvery at an angle, mites if the spots are just white. Get a bottle of Southern Ag Neem oil from Home Depot or Amazon and mix it per the directions. Works on almost all bugs and it's good through the veg stage.

Those look fine, but get your nutes sorted out quickly!
Thanks for the response, last night I went ahead and got some "Age old" fert should be here by the time I'm ready to feed again. So they will get Cal/Mag Plus and Age Old at feed time
I'm gonna get some oil today to fix the issue

Is there anything in particular to look for when mainlining? Currently sitting at 4 tops and aiming for 16. I've seen a few post of stems splitting on high stresses
You can wrap it with medical tape and/or zip tie to help prevent it, or fix it if it does. This ended up being a male, so that’s why it’s hanging.
77B95F58-E589-49D3-9A9E-0E508BCEBAA7.jpeg

Is there anything in particular to look for when mainlining? Currently sitting at 4 tops and aiming for 16. I've seen a few post of stems splitting on high stresses
You mean topping multiple times?
Look at my LST write up from @InTheShed in my signature.
Good info there.

You mean topping multiple times?
Look at my LST write up from @InTheShed in my signature.
Good info there.
Yeah pretty much. From the reading I've done and my understanding its specifically training and topping so you have 8, 16, etc. Main colas with a direct line to the roots. I haven't met or talked to anyone who's done it before.
Wow! That's a ton of info, thank you! I've been too nervous to try supercropping, I'm afraid of breaking the branches off

I'm afraid of breaking the branches off
You bend slowly over a few days. It's low stress training!
Are you talking about having a different flowering mix with less N? I got the liquid blend as well
Yes, because neither 12-6-6 nor 8-4-1 will get you through the grow. Google Age Old fertilizer and cannabis together and see if there's a good feeding schedule for you to follow.

You bend slowly over a few days. It's low stress training!

Yes, because neither 12-6-6 nor 8-4-1 will get you through the grow. Google Age Old fertilizer and cannabis together and see if there's a good feeding schedule for you to follow.
Yeah I got the LST down but the reason I didnt want to try the supercropping or almost snapping branches cause I've never had to manipulate plants before. Maybe I'll try it on one of the GDP.
Looked it up and it seems to be lacking nutes for some strains, from what I read Cal/Mag really seems to help it out. Is this what you were meaning? Also got some neem oil and sprayed down all plants to be safe since they share a close space. Gonna spray them again in 7 days per the bottle, dont have a home depot near me but Ace had some. Got some root stimulator as well 4-10-3 that I'm gonna throw into the next feeding and the soil when I transplant

Back
Top Bottom