Bud damage and oil processing

Farmerterv

420 Member
I’ve been a commercial farmer for 9 years. I know when you bring your crop in they doc you on pests, pest damage, moisture content, etc....

Wondering how the oil processors work and if it’s similar. Do they doc pay based on mold, pests aka caterpillars, etc. How bad can the flowers be before they turn it down?

Well I guess I shouldn’t say bad. No mold or anything I guess it’s mostly just pests and things like caterpillars. Just wondering how they doc that or if they won’t even take buds with some caterpillars. It’s the caterpillars haha we have no other problems besides that.

Would rinsing the flowers after harvest help with getting them out of the processors won’t take it? Just curious. I know I can just call and ask but figured I’d post in here first

What are we talking about here

Acres of hemp

Basement plants

Buds to dispensary

Either way can't see them taking any critters in it

Now large hemp harvest, I have no clue what they do

Yes 1 acre cbd farm. Sorry I should’ve specified. To me it’s normal but it seems like basement grows are most common haha but yes it’s cbd, boax strain. New legal state so there aren’t many around growing

We’re selling for cbd flower but whatever is damaged I was considering processing into oil... just wondering about logistics if anyone has experience. Appreciate the continuous feedback though!!

You need to talk to the buyer

Not a bunch of stoners on a forum

This is your life, the difference between good and crap could cost you lots of $$$$$$

I wouldn't trust anyone here.... I'd be sure to find out myself, and I would know before I stuck one seed in the ground what the expectation of the buyers are

To your question about washing... People do bud wash, but on that large of a grow, it would be time consuming.
@Doc Bud has a good budwashing process if you wanted to check it out.

You need to talk to the buyer

Not a bunch of stoners on a forum

This is your life, the difference between good and crap could cost you lots of $$$$$$

I wouldn't trust anyone here.... I'd be sure to find out myself, and I would know before I stuck one seed in the ground what the expectation of the buyers are

Time consumption isn’t a problem I have time. We’ve got information and sales lined up for flower and oil. I was just trying to get a general idea of people’s ACTUAL experience. This is like a 5th source of information I use... anything helps though. I’ll trust people with first hand experience over any other resource. Just my preference

If you're waiting to deal with a caterpillar problem on an acre grow until after the harvest, then your buds are probably going to be full of caterpillar shit. And that's like asking for fungus (usually botrytis). This year's crop might end up being a learning experience for you, especially if you borrowed in order to finance it. If you just paid expenses out of pocket, though, you'll probably be fine - just may not make nearly the amount of money you expected to.

You can spray BT up to the day of harvest, as far as I know, because it's supposed to be harmless to people (check this with someone more knowledgeable than me!!!). I've also read to stop spraying 15 days before harvest, so... IDK, lol.

Pick off any visible ones, check all parts of plant for signs of them (plants being eaten, droppings, bud rot, et cetera), chase away butterflies / moths, spray if/when needed, and so on. Inspect for eggs, especially on the undersides of leaves, and remove them as/when they appear. Check to see if they make repellents, traps, and/or predator species (well, sell them instead of make those ;) ) for any stages of life from adult/mama on down and purchase/use an adequate amount of them for both the garden plot and the rest of your property.

The above, or much of it at least, might be more for future grows than this one, but you still should be out there - or have other people out there - every day checking the crop. There's a reason why they say small-grow farmers are some of the hardest working people on the planet. . . .

If you're waiting to deal with a caterpillar problem on an acre grow until after the harvest, then your buds are probably going to be full of caterpillar shit. And that's like asking for fungus (usually botrytis). This year's crop might end up being a learning experience for you, especially if you borrowed in order to finance it. If you just paid expenses out of pocket, though, you'll probably be fine - just may not make nearly the amount of money you expected to.

You can spray BT up to the day of harvest, as far as I know, because it's supposed to be harmless to people (check this with someone more knowledgeable than me!!!). I've also read to stop spraying 15 days before harvest, so... IDK, lol.

Pick off any visible ones, check all parts of plant for signs of them (plants being eaten, droppings, bud rot, et cetera), chase away butterflies / moths, spray if/when needed, and so on. Inspect for eggs, especially on the undersides of leaves, and remove them as/when they appear. Check to see if they make repellents, traps, and/or predator species (well, sell them instead of make those ;) ) for any stages of life from adult/mama on down and purchase/use an adequate amount of them for both the garden plot and the rest of your property.

The above, or much of it at least, might be more for future grows than this one, but you still should be out there - or have other people out there - every day checking the crop. There's a reason why they say small-grow farmers are some of the hardest working people on the planet. . . .

First of all I appreciate all the information you seem like a really knowledgeable guy. My questions were strictly based on the caterpillars though and not how to run my farm or finance it. I appreciate the concern but I’ve financed myself and am out there every until my I go to my other job at 5pm 5 days a week. The crop is fine, harvest is going well, the acre should produce well above what we expected.

All I asked was advice on the affected ones that we will try and process into oil. I’m talking about an acre, there will be plenty that won’t be quality enough to sell ass flower especially the buds on the bottom. We’ve had a lot of rain this year. Record breaking to be exact. In peoples experience how have the oil processors dealt with bugs and bud damage. That’s all I want to know. I got the answer though like I said thanks again for the information

Apologies; sometimes I forget that I'm an asshole.

Cool. I really am, though ;) . I usually try to hide it, but it shines through from time to time when I'm not paying attention, stressed, exhausted, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad you got the information you needed. And best of luck with your harvest (and afterwards)!

Back
Top Bottom