Bud Rot & Mold vs. Microbes

I was watching the most recent Build a soil video on yt and Jeremy mentioned that the microbes he uses are the anaerobic ones, not aerobic. I found that interesting given the conversations we've been having here.

I was watching the most recent Build a soil video on yt and Jeremy mentioned that the microbes he uses are the anaerobic ones, not aerobic. I found that interesting given the conversations we've been having here.

We been having great conversations, and they could well both be excellent methods but we know that they have different effects and produce different results, imo.

I would understand how the use of aerobic teas in food production would be a safer practice in terms of keeping really harmful pathogens out of peoples food.
But I don’t see myself not doing anaerobic teas for my cannabis.

Anyone like sauerkraut? Or kombucha? How about beer? Or spirits? Moonshine? Then I’m pretty sure you like anaerobic cultures. They are good for you.

:passitleft:

We been having great conversations, and they could well both be excellent methods but we know that they have different effects and produce different results, imo.

I would understand how the use of aerobic teas in food production would be a safer practice in terms of keeping really harmful pathogens out of peoples food.
But I don’t see myself not doing anaerobic teas for my cannabis.

Anyone like sauerkraut? Or kombucha? How about beer? Or spirits? Moonshine? Then I’m pretty sure you like anaerobic cultures. They are good for you.

:passitleft:
Yes and I have no problem with the idea of using them.
I was referring to the earlier discussion earlier about whether or not anaerobic bacteria can be used with our plants.

What is the difference between aerobic and anearobic?
Cheers!
It has to do with the environments they typically live and thrive in.
Aerobic microbes need oxygen, and anaerobic microbes don't. Some types of anaerobic microbes can't survive in the presence of oxygen, and others can.

Highya Azimuth, guys,

Update on spraying down with JMS. I sprayed all my ladies (had 9, lost 1) with straight JMS a day before the last rain storm we had. Today I could check all of them. I found that 1 Mobsta had 10 instances of botrytis, and the 2nd Mobsta had 2 instances. To further clarify, I couldn't reach the tops to spray correctly/adequately (where most of the budrot was). I'll fis that next time. None of the SSH (4) had any botrytis, but they are mold resistant. I'm thinking I can have a better try at it next rain storm. Happy Smokin'

I was referring to the earlier discussion earlier about whether or not anaerobic bacteria can be used with our plants.

I think it’s safe to say both can be used in moderation and with safety in mind, our best evidence should be our plants itself.
I think aerobic compost teas work perfectly for the roots.

For me it’s a question of what I wish to achieve with the foliar like feeding or preventive pest management, corrective pest control, even stress the plant with pathogens. I know there is a bunch of chemical reactions happening I have no idea how they happen but they manifest on plant.
For foliar use I really prefer anaerobic solutions, easier to manage for me. And this is really the first time I am trying out all these weeds and herbs as foliar, before I would use them for roots only and was kinda scared of the leaf touching any of these liquids.

Plants seem to respond to what I did, I’m a believer

I'm incubating a batch of bokashi now. That's an anaerobically made culture. They love it!
Highya Azimuth, guys,

Update on spraying down with JMS. I sprayed all my ladies (had 9, lost 1) with straight JMS a day before the last rain storm we had. Today I could check all of them. I found that 1 Mobsta had 10 instances of botrytis, and the 2nd Mobsta had 2 instances. To further clarify, I couldn't reach the tops to spray correctly/adequately (where most of the budrot was). I'll fis that next time. None of the SSH (4) had any botrytis, but they are mold resistant. I'm thinking I can have a better try at it next rain storm. Happy Smokin'
Not bad Bode! So far so good with my two. I'm able to spray the whole plants.

I’ve prepared my 1L jug a few days ago but mistakenly/stupidly left it outside by the girls.
I brought it inside yesterday morning and have a bit of activity.
Small darker ring around the outside on the surface, with a small amount of foaming.

My question is, did it kill it leaving it out in the cold or just set it back a couple days?

I wouldnt think its all dead, but microbial activity will slow down as temperature gets cold, you can even freeze it and it wont die entirely. It needs room temperature to be alive and moving.

this is from internet research:

Approximate time bacterial cultures remain viable in different storage conditions.

Condition Temp (°C) Time (approx.)
Agar plates 4 4 - 6 weeks
Stab cultures 4 3 weeks - 1 year
Standard freezer -20 1 - 3 years
Super-cooled freezer -80 1 - 10 years
Freeze dried ≤4 15 years+

@danishoes21 Roger that.
I’ll start another jar now and keep it inside.
My confusion started when I read to keep it near the plants you will be using it on.
And then the cold snap snuck up on me and I forgot it was out there.

We still have a few weeks to go so there’s still time to put it to use.

Thank you

I left all mine outside for a week now... LOL getting cold.
This is from my cooking experience with food safe and all, any bacteria will start living, moving and eating above 4 celcius. So we are good, they just slow down and takes longer to breakdown organic matter. Imma put mine inside again. (took them out cause the wife doesnt like seen them LMFO)

I’ve prepared my 1L jug a few days ago but mistakenly/stupidly left it outside by the girls.
I brought it inside yesterday morning and have a bit of activity.
Small darker ring around the outside on the surface, with a small amount of foaming.

My question is, did it kill it leaving it out in the cold or just set it back a couple days?
You want to leave it by your plants so you culture the microbes that will thrive in that environment. As it gets colder the microbial activity slows down so you can compensate by using more of the microbes to start with to shorten the 'brew' time.

That said, @Bode makes his in his basement using an aquarium heater and has had good results.

After the rain you can spray those plants with a potassium bisulfite(pH up) solution. By raising the pH up over 8 you create an environment that will not allow mold to grow. Google it—farmers do it to crops to save from rot.

I just read the above comment from this thread. Does anyone have any experience with this?

FYI - I haven't made the microbe solution yet as I've been very busy lately but I did buy potato flakes to make some.

There are a lot of things to try on 420 these days what with bud rot preventatives, SIP containers and using malted barley to help your grow finish sooner (I have malted barley, too but haven't done anything with it either).

I just read the above comment from this thread. Does anyone have any experience with this?

FYI - I haven't made the microbe solution yet as I've been very busy lately but I did buy potato flakes to make some.

There are a lot of things to try on 420 these days what with bud rot preventatives, SIP containers and using malted barley to help your grow finish sooner (I have malted barley, too but haven't done anything with it either).
Edit: I've heard that about potassium bicarbonate, not potassium sulphite
I've read that on another forum, and my buddy used it as a preventive for budrot.
He said it worked, but I haven't tried it myself.

@Azimuth

I got a follow up on the PM corective treatment using non diluted willow leaf.

White tape sprayed every day.
1DF57923-D443-410A-8ECA-3184F7A14D0F.jpeg

Grey tape sprayed once a week
EDE4EF26-618C-4FE8-8FC9-2A2EFFEA98E3.jpeg

Everything else, The pm is getting really bad elsewhere on the leaves.
F1C61051-F5CF-4AE8-8509-92DA1C4E60B8.jpeg

I think I will be moving on with non diluted willow for my next foliar on the cannabis.

That's seems to be a pretty dramatic improvement. I've read that pm sends 'root like hairs' down into the leaf as an anchor and then spreads from that base. So maybe the spraying at least slows the spread but maybe doesn't kill the pm roots? Pretty good experiment you've got going there. :thumb:

That's seems to be a pretty dramatic improvement. I've read that pm sends 'root like hairs' down into the leaf as an anchor and then spreads from that base. So maybe the spraying at least slows the spread but maybe doesn't kill the pm roots? Pretty good experiment you've got going there. :thumb:
Pretty safe to say pictures show reduced amount of affected surface, This picture is right now and I havent sprayed today.
Seems like the mycelium is losing ground and also not much signs of the powdery spores, comprared to the rest of the affected areas.

I'm gonna move ahead with non diluted foliar for the cannabis, and the first one thats getting it is the chunky skunk.

I'm gonna move ahead with non diluted foliar for the cannabis, and the first one thats getting it is the chunky skunk.
:thumb:

In the Jadam book, Master Cho recommends diluting the JMS for foliar even more than as a root drench, but @Bode uses his straight up to good effect and I tried it that way as well and had no apparent adverse effects, though I did when using it as a root drench.

Back
Top Bottom