Bud Rot

FuzzyDuck

I'm pretty sure I've came across bud rot on my plant. I've removed all affected areas and trimmed a fair few leaves to increase the air circulation around the plant. Not too sure what else I can do. I'm growing outdoors in a greenhouse, i leave the door wide open along with both windows. I have a feeling the bud rot started over the weekend, we've had a few days of very humid weather. Temperatures are between 17°C and 22°C during the day and dropping to between 9°C and 14°C at night. I can heat the green house up to 20°C, I'm wandering wether that would be a good idea to do at night? Any help on what I can do would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
image19779.jpeg
image19778.jpeg
image19777.jpeg

This is my plant, she stretched a lot when she started flowering and is now being supported by an improvised support of wires and string. I did a fair amount of leave trimming and I'm wandering if I should go further?
image19775.jpeg

i feel your pain mate, that sucks and im sorry to here that!
I would try and heat at night, not sure if it would help with the budrot but a good temp difference between lights on/off is about 5c.
With the budrot all i can think off is getting good airflow in and around the buds, try and see the leaves moving slighty, havent got to be bouncing around like in a moshpit haha, other than bringing the humidity down alot, under 40% is more ideal for later flowering.
Check out some threads on here about washing buds affected with bud rot, i dont know the ins and out so dont want to tell you this or that, but ive deffo seen threads around here, sure if u search budrot a tonne of stuff will come up, unfourtunatly its kinda common problem.
All the best buddy
Peace✌

Nice plant, nice greenhouse!

Fungus likes humidity. Get that as low as you can (even if it means moving the plant out of the greenhouse) and increase air circulation.

Cheers for the help guys. I've installed a fan now behind the lady and whacked the heating up. Hoping this will sort out the problems. I'm hoping that the other buds will be okay. There were 6 sites in total affected and I've removed all buds showing rot. Only 2 of the buds were of a significant size, the rest were low lying buds.

Sounds good buddy,
The heater at night will do her good, but remember warmer air holds more humidity, try keep it under 26c in the day and if u can keep it wirhin a 5c to 10c drop at night im sure she would love you for it haha and the fan will help warm humid air lingering around which is also good! You say you have doors and window open so should be enough fresh air coming in and now the fan will get it around ur plant have to see how it goes mate, your doing the right things.

I've installed a fan now behind the lady and whacked the heating up. Hoping this will sort out the problems.

Do you have any idea what the humidity is in your greenhouse? Many of them are quite tropical--i.e. warm and humid (as in "jungle rot").

If you or a friend have a hygrometer, I'd really suggest finding out what the humidity is in there and as triggz suggested, get it down to about 40% if you can. I think excess humidity is the primary cause of rot. Better circulation can help some if it's just "local humidity"--water that is around the leaves and buds from the plant's transpiration--but if the the whole greenhouse is at 70% humidity and you're just blowing around moist air, that's not going to help. As I said, you may need to move the plant out of the greenhouse. Good luck.

No idea on the humidity in the greenhouse but it's never been 'tropically' humid in there. There's only been a problem recently with some extremely humid weather. The fan seems to be working a treat, along with the extra heat. This plant is very quick to tell you if she's happy or sad and after the work yesterday, she's looking very happy again. Fingers crossed it stays that way

Thats good that she is looking better always good to hear mate
Try and get a cheap hygrometer, hasnt got to be the best or most spot on piece of kit mate aslong as you get a general idea of the rh. Will help you loads come late flower and with drying and curing your lovly homegrown buds ! (Always the best)
Yeah they do soon let you know haha some old guy told me when i started that the girls will tell you what they want just listen to them and they will let you know hahaha thought this guy had gone old and lost it abit, "girls" and "listening" to them haha i didnt have a clue, but sure enough he was right .
Keep us updated mate be nice to see how she ends up.
Peace ✌

Try and get a cheap hygrometer, hasnt got to be the best or most spot on piece of kit mate aslong as you get a general idea of the rh. Will help you loads come late flower and with drying and curing your lovly homegrown buds ��!

I absolutely second that. Canada Guy here are 420 uses inexpensive hygrometers he got for about $5 CDN in his curing jars and they seem to work OK. I use the Nebula Haze recommended Caliber Mk IV digital hygrometer for about $20 US which I just love.

Like Triggz says, you're gonna need one to cure to the proper 62% humidity, so you might as well buy one now and see just what the actual humidity is. My prize bud in a recent grow was rotten inside, and that was at about 45% humidity. If you can really get the RH down during flowering, it's all to the good.

Also, one more soap box item: When people spend countless hours growing and hundreds of $$ for mystery juice fertilizers but don't own a pH meter, PPM meter, and RH meter, I'm struck by how for want of another $60 they are flying in the dark without instruments. Gear up! ;)

Haha this made me laugh, ive gone through many threads on here with people crying out for help, listing all these fancy products they have got and scratching thier heads wondering why they cant get the girls right after spending mega $$$, only to see some ask " whats the ph mate?" Only to get the old "ohh im not sure i havent got a meter" hahaha feel like doing a facepalm sonetimes! I mean some guys havent even got indicator drops let alone a pen
Im sure i seen a thread about red cabbage as a redneck ph indicator? Not sure on that one and think il give it a miss lol
Hope everyone is growing and toking well, peace ✌

Haha this made me laugh, ive gone through many threads on here with people crying out for help, listing all these fancy products they have got and scratching thier heads wondering why they cant get the girls right after spending mega $$$, only to see some ask " whats the ph mate?" Only to get the old "ohh im not sure i havent got a meter" hahaha feel like doing a facepalm sonetimes! I mean some guys havent even got indicator drops let alone a pen
Im sure i seen a thread about red cabbage as a redneck ph indicator? Not sure on that one and think il give it a miss lol
Hope everyone is growing and toking well, peace ✌

Haha, that is funny i don't PH check soil let alone nutrients & do just fine :thanks:

Makes me laugh people chin wagging on how growing a bit of weed is so science related when it has just been growing in dirt for thousands of years... anyway excuse the minor rant !

Well bud rot or (botrytis cinerea) the spores are present in the air 24/7 & they are just looking for ideal conditions to spawn 70% RH plus the higher the RH the greater the risk.

Growers just need to observe RH during day/night or if indoors lights on/off where a difference in RH will occur but may depend if ya AC unit.

Will it grow in dirt and left alone? , of course it will! Will you get the best yield and result possible of course not!
Big difference between surving and thriving mate, depends how much time effort and money you are will to put in will depend on what you get out
Peace ✌

Haha, that is funny i don't PH check soil let alone nutrients & do just fine :thanks:

Makes me laugh people chin wagging on how growing a bit of weed is so science related when it has just been growing in dirt for thousands of years... anyway excuse the minor rant !

Well bud rot or (botrytis cinerea) the spores are present in the air 24/7 & they are just looking for ideal conditions to spawn 70% RH plus the higher the RH the greater the risk.

Growers just need to observe RH during day/night or if indoors lights on/off where a difference in RH will occur but may depend if ya AC unit.

> i don't PH check soil let alone nutrients & do just fine :thanks:
You've found a system that works for you and I'm sure we're all happy for you! :)

> makes me laugh people chin wagging on how growing a bit of weed is so science related when it has just been growing in dirt for thousands of years... anyway excuse the minor rant !
You're excused! ;) We all know the herb will grow just fine in a sunny pile of cow shit, but most of us have found that knowing a little more about what's going on and being able to make adjustments helps us to get better results. I assume that your minimalist approach to growing means you're not buying a dozen bottles of majik juice as well, no? Just free range chicken manure and seaweed, perhaps?

The OP is having trouble and asking for help, so recommending $60 worth of tools that most of us have and find useful isn't out of line.

> they are just looking for ideal conditions to spawn 70% RH plus the higher the RH the greater the risk.
This is an area where you might actually want to do something "science related" and buy an instrument, at least before citing numbers. Bud rot can and does occur well below a swampy 70% RH.

Well that was enlightening & i see ya all on email alerts on when a new post is created to what you have subscribed to !

Yes well some simple equipment may help.

005820.JPG
001728.JPG

Ye got the T-shirt bud :Namaste:

Mmm re - use the soil as well with organic methods with main line organic nutrients with 400w hps... 2 oz dry per plant untrained on average, trained is some what better but takes longer in veg TBH.

Now 70% RH is an all rounded mark for bud rot & yes it can be lower but remaining open minded about such it would include said strain grown as not all have good tolerance too high RH :thumb:

I understand the OP is an out door grower who use's a green house for our most loved herb & that on all levels we must understand the different nature of growing to assist in such endeavours.

Back
Top Bottom