Bud Washing

If it were my plant, I'd put in the shower and wash it off. The whole point of bud washing is that the plant is oil based. Be a bit careful and spray the stuff off.

I have been hitting it with my sprayer and I have to turn it into practically a full stream to get it to wash these little flakes off :/ I guess I'll just keep doing that over the next couple of days until I get them all.

Tweezers?

Yeah I've been trying to pick them off but even with tweezers they're so sticky it's kinda a hassle to get them off, plus not to mention I have a bad back and bending over the scrog kills it. But I guess I'm just gonna have to do a little each day, maybe just cut some of the buds out early, I dont know.

Blow dryer on cool air setting?

Maybe, but my gut tells me it wouldn't be enough air pressure. Maybe some canned air, but I just spent my last dime on soil tests. Maybe I'll ask around and see if I can find a hair-dryer to at least try.

I did think about maybe running a shop vac over the buds but that just seems like more could go wrong than could go right.

Maybe, but my gut tells me it wouldn't be enough air pressure. Maybe some canned air, but I just spent my last dime on soil tests. Maybe I'll ask around and see if I can find a hair-dryer to at least try.

I did think about maybe running a shop vac over the buds but that just seems like more could go wrong than could go right.
Don't do it.... my kirby ate a lot of one of my plants . Thank God it was a pepper plant and not meds!

Soils tests? Shoot, you should let me test your soil so you can get some individualized High Brix.

As for those little particles....they'll come off in the wash if you do it the way I recommend on the first couple pages. I've had colas fall into the dirt before and it washes right off.

Just to back up a little bit. Do you know what this stuff is? Any guesses?

They're either flakes of the adhesive side of duct tape, or enamel chips off the hood the adhesive tore off from, or my own dandruff. Last one isn't very likely as I looked at the flakes in 120x and they don't look like skin. I'm guessing it might be the enamel because it was solid white with hard jagged edges, crystalline like. But the duct tape could have produced the same characteristics because it was so dry and flakey and I remember the individual strands coming out while I was untaping.

Soils tests? Shoot, you should let me test your soil so you can get some individualized High Brix.

As for those little particles....they'll come off in the wash if you do it the way I recommend on the first couple pages. I've had colas fall into the dirt before and it washes right off.

Well I'll have the results soon I hope.

The reason I was worried bud washing won't work is these are really stuck on there because of the resin, and plus I wasn't sure if the new flower material would grow out and envelope them, making it impossible to wash off.

They're either flakes of the adhesive side of duct tape, or enamel chips off the hood the adhesive tore off from, or my own dandruff. Last one isn't very likely as I looked at the flakes in 120x and they don't look like skin. I'm guessing it might be the enamel because it was solid white with hard jagged edges, crystalline like. But the duct tape could have produced the same characteristics because it was so dry and flakey and I remember the individual strands coming out while I was untaping.

Well I'll have the results soon I hope.

The reason I was worried bud washing won't work is these are really stuck on there because of the resin, and plus I wasn't sure if the new flower material would grow out and envelope them, making it impossible to wash off.

Well, hopefully you have a resin problem coming.....but in the mean time, why not get out some tweezers and pluck it out? I think the wash will work, but you might be happy to get rid of them.

Well, hopefully you have a resin problem coming.....but in the mean time, why not get out some tweezers and pluck it out? I think the wash will work, but you might be happy to get rid of them.

Yeah I've been trying that as well. My back doesn't permit me to do it much more than a few minutes at a time :/ Plus in the pain, I'm not as meticulous as I need to be, and instead of pulling the speck off the plant, I just basically take a big pinch of plant material out along with the speck. But I think I've got the most of the specks on the buds so far. I'm mainly trying to focus on ones I think are at risk of being "enveloped" and won't be able to wash off later.

Could really punch myself for this one. I was like, "Why don't I just replace this tape at the same time?" and there's my answer. Normally I just take the ducting off of the vent opening and change the bulb through the 6" hole. The glass never sealed well so it's been duct-taped up since I bought it. Stuff must have got dry and crusty with the light/heat.

Yeah I've been trying that as well. My back doesn't permit me to do it much more than a few minutes at a time :/ Plus in the pain, I'm not as meticulous as I need to be, and instead of pulling the speck off the plant, I just basically take a big pinch of plant material out along with the speck. But I think I've got the most of the specks on the buds so far. I'm mainly trying to focus on ones I think are at risk of being "enveloped" and won't be able to wash off later.

Could really punch myself for this one. I was like, "Why don't I just replace this tape at the same time?" and there's my answer. Normally I just take the ducting off of the vent opening and change the bulb through the 6" hole. The glass never sealed well so it's been duct-taped up since I bought it. Stuff must have got dry and crusty with the light/heat.

I've had colas land in dirt 2 weeks from harvest. I did my best to blow it off, but the rest came right off in the wash. I paid close attention. I think you'll be just fine with the wash.

Hello all. I've just only read the first page here & im sold! But does it have to be fresh squeezed lemon juice, or that crap in a bottle at store works? Thanks, & I was also wondering about the hot water, as the heat I thought was enemy of the. And light as well. So putting them in light after washing is ok? How long? Just regular light? Thanks for any help. I'm planning on harvesting a couple of nugs to try this today. Don't have a lot of material to was...maybe 2-3 oz's. So I'm thing about using those aluminum roasting pans or a couple of Pyrex casserole dishes. Those will work yes?
8C5B380C-082F-45AB-8968-823FB20868E7.jpeg
95A43304-E615-46A1-B030-2101250A0A7E.jpeg
B1B971ED-639B-4378-AB3E-1BFDA2284306.jpeg
B47501D7-6AF8-4C66-93FF-206F2ACF2141.jpeg
4E50312C-05C6-474D-ADA7-E8DBE723DE08.jpeg
this is the 420 blueberry auto at 81 days. Almost ready!

420-magazine-mobile215233430.jpg
420-magazine-mobile521943807.jpg

I dot. Use hot water eithier I use two pails moo. One for my mix and one for rinse z shake off as much water after each stage . The. Let them hang as normal .

This lemon juice has the lifting agent in it as doc said is needed.

Can't remember the name maybe someone will come save us . But it's always worked for me . I never have bad taste and smooth as well and slow burning it turned out .

A bit further down on page 1. This is Doc Bud's method. These are his instructions. Skip the hydrogen peroxide bit (bucket 1) if you haven't had any issues with mold/humidity etc. I use cheapo lemon juice from the bottle. It doesn't matter. You are washing not cooking.

Re: Bud Washing
I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't use it!

Water will not harm resin....oil can and does.

Anyone who wants to know more about my methods is welcome to ask me about them anytime!

Harvest day today. 3 buckets. No issues with mold or humidity, so no H2O2 this time. Bud washing went well. I know I read somewhere in here that DocBud recommended leaving the lights on for the first 48 hours to keep the photosynthesis going? It's in here somewhere. What does everyone think? By lights does he mean veg/bloom, veg, or bloom?

IMG_81836.JPG
IMG_818410.JPG
IMG_818512.JPG
IMG_81905.JPG

I pm'd Doc Bud with the question about light. His answer was ....

I like the buds to photosynthesize for a few more hours after chop....so even a weak light that's strong enough to cause photosynthesis.

So I finished up around noon and the lights switch off at 8. Probably good enough.

Back
Top Bottom