Bud Washing

I usually spray plants in growth stage with horsetail fern tea to control spores (and since it's 80% silicates it makes the plants very strong) but have had grows where I have forgotten and PM and bud rot appeared in the last week of flower. I removed the couple of flowers affected by the bud rot and spray-drenched the whole plant (and entire grow area) with 250ml 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon water. This removed the PM and prevented further development of bud rot. I harvested a week later and the buds seemed really OK without a trace of anything nasty. I washed them in h2o2/water then rinsed just as an extra precaution. I have sinced used h2o2 several times on buds in the last few days of flower without any adverse effect on taste/aroma/strength. Re bud rot; the couple of times I had it was usually within 10 days of harvest date. On both occasions I removed affected areas and sprayed with water/h2o2 every couple of days until harvest. Despite the high humidity and lack of decent ventilation, I was able to keep the plants rot-free until harvest. Some people seem to think H2o2 is somehow harmful to the plant or buds, but the 3% sold at pharmacies is completely safe when added to water and will not harm plants or affect quality/taste/aroma of buds.

This is how I use H2O2 (I am not sure where I got this so my apologies - and thanks - if it was posted by someone here)

Sprouting Seeds: add 30ml 3% H2O2 to 1 pint of water. Soak the seeds overnight.
Insecticide Spray: combine 250ml 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon spray mix.
Fast growing container plants (not for plants in soil): add 30ml of 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon water.
Hydroponics: apply 3% H2O2 at a rate of 30ml/gallon to the nutrient reservoir.

Dealt with some thrips and had to spray a bit of soap in early flower for the first time this last run. Had never sprayed before. It was 6 weeks or so before harvest and very mild indoor plant spray, and would be totally fine but saw some bugs return right before harvest so figured I'd give this a shot. Weren't many and didnt see any on buds but rather safe than sorry, don't much like smoking thrips. My last couple runs have been a little harsh which I put down to too fast drying, but it could definitely be compounded by dust and whatnot as well as I don't have a very legit ventilation setup.

4x 5 gal buckets, all room temp. 1st baking soda / lemon (1/2 cup of each in 5g, pretty mild), last 3 all water. Chopped everything and gave it a deleaf and quick trim first, seems to me that going into the water as quickly as possible after cutting is the key to prevent trich damage.

Seemed to go very well. No visible change to the trichomes after. Everything looked great on the line after drip drying with a fan for an hour. Back in the tent for my normal dry and cure routine. Will provide an update at end of dry and after a quick cure. So far so good though!

This shot is immediately after washing on the dry line. I don't think I see a single missing head. Nothing in the water other than dust and grit, hardly any pistils even.

Hi all, I’m getting very close to a few harvests so am planning my washes! What do folks think about using Lime instead of Lemon. I can get Lemons, but I already have a tree full of Lime so thought I’d check whether there might be a reason I shouldn’t do that... My guess is that the surfactants and sulphites will be pretty much the same so will do the same work - but maybe Lime has more oil, which might not be desirable.

Thougths?

Small update on my post above. Just tried my first samples of some dried but uncured bottom larf.

Smoothest smoke ever! wow! Considering it wasn't really trimmed (quite a bit of sugar leaf) and didnt get a chance to cure the smoothness is impressive to say the least. Definitely a big improvement there from my last run.

Taste and smell are fairly minimal, but the rest in the jars will give a much better review on that in another week. Def looking forward to trying the final product!

High all

Dropping in here to share a few pics of my recent harvest and bud wash. This is a CBD Critical Cure from Barney’s Farm, grown organically outdoors under the sun (southern hemisphere). Harvested about a week early maybe due to a week of rains being imminent and other factors.

My wash buckets were; 1st with half cup bi-carb and half cup lime juice, 2nd and 3rd with water (rain water). No PM so no H202 required.

Clean buckets :thumb:

And this is why we wash!!

Some morning delight to sign off...

:Namaste:

I'll be harvesting in a week and I'll be bud washing for sure. I have been seeing a little bit of powdery mildew of the last few weeks and while I have been using neem oil from the beginning, I think it's too close to harvest to continue using it. So I'm going to try using four buckets instead of three. The first bucket will be water and hydrogen peroxide, the second will be water baking soda and lemon juice, the third will be hot water and the last will be cold water.

I know that some just add the peroxide to the baking soda and lemon juice bucket. But I think it will just come out a bit cleaner if I use a fourth bucket.

You're definitely better not mixing the peroxide with the lemon/soda. :thumb:

Be careful with the "hot" water. "Very warm" is better.

Ahhh, those look delicious!

Did you feel the heft and crispiness after the wash? I just love that part. And they should dry faster, too, so keep an eye on them.

Ahhh, those look delicious!

Did you feel the heft and crispiness after the wash? I just love that part. And they should dry faster, too, so keep an eye on them.

You can definitely see and feel the difference. I love it.

A couple weeks ago, I cut one of the smaller branches and washed it to test bud washing. I was impressed after washing it. About 5 days later it was ready to jar up. The weight of the branch was about 7 grams dry. Yesterday I smoked some of it and it was great. It was very smooth and not harsh at all. But very tasty and potent. I'll be washing from now on.

You can definitely see and feel the difference. I love it.

A couple weeks ago, I cut one of the smaller branches and washed it to test bud washing. I was impressed after washing it. About 5 days later it was ready to jar up. The weight of the branch was about 7 grams dry. Yesterday I smoked some of it and it was great. It was very smooth and not harsh at all. But very tasty and potent. I'll be washing from now on.

Now if everyone would just try it before talking trash about it, it really works great! Much healthier too! Congratulations on being assimilated as a bud washer!!!

Some very nice produce you turned out there as well, whatcha growing in?

Now if everyone would just try it before talking trash about it, it really works great! Much healthier too! Congratulations on being assimilated as a bud washer!!!

Some very nice produce you turned out there as well, whatcha growing in?

True indeed. I talk trash about a lot of stuff I know about. But I'll always try something before trash talking about it. Haha!

I also trimmed a few buds to dry without washing. They are on my drying rack now. I'm going to compare the two and post what I find here.

True indeed. I talk trash about a lot of stuff I know about. But I'll always try something before trash talking about it. Haha!

I also trimmed a few buds to dry without washing. They are on my drying rack now. I'm going to compare the two and post what I find here.

Oh absolutely, at least then you actually know what you’re talking trash about! :smokin:

Doing same with my big bomb In jars def washed has a slighter aroma appeal once popped jars open? Bout it for now .

Back
Top Bottom