Bud Washing

I wonder if adding a cup of lemon juice would give it a nice lemony taste or just dehydrate the buds too much while drying?

Do you mean soak the buds in lemon juice?

Lemon juice is used. Or the last receipe I knew was one bucket with a cup of lemon juice. One with a cup of baking soda. And one with nothing. I would occasionally combine the lemon juice and baking soda and go with two buckets. But, that wasn't the norm. Usually, when I was low on RO.

I think Doc has cut those amounts in half... also the lemon juice and the baking soda both go in the first bucket. The last two are rinse buckets. I do 3 buckets, first one with 1/2 cup each lemon juice and baking soda, second with tap water, third RO water to make it extra clean... my tap water is gross. First bucket is also tap water...

If I’m not mistaken, I think someone said you could go even lower than 1/2 cup of each. But I’ll let the washing vets chime in on that.

I wouldn't wash with tap water and mine is pretty clean. Just my two cents. If it's all you've got I gues, but I think it should be RO all the way... but i know it changes or folks have played with the recipe and process over the years.

Cheers!

Ok, let's straighten some things out:

Don't soak your buds in a bucket of acid and then a bucket of alkaline! :eek:

Combine the lemon juice and baking soda into ONE BUCKET and wash your buds in that. It's a traditional home-brew cleaning solution, used for decades.

If you think you might have mold, use H2O2 in the first bucket, then lemon/soda in the second and pure water in the third and maybe fourth if they're especially dirty.

There is absolutely no need for RO water unless your water is crap. In fact, the chloromines or chlorine in tap water will help your buds stay fresh.

You can, of course, do anything that you like, but you should start a separate thread, otherwise you'll confuse and misinform people. Everything you need to know is already in this thread, and it says NOTHING about separate buckets for lemon juice and baking soda. That would be a bad thing.

:Namaste:

No, I was confused. I checked docs website and it says to combine the two in one bucket. Does say all three buckets should (or he uses) be RO. But, whatever floats yer bud ;)

Do you mean soak the buds in lemon juice?
I don't mean soak them in lemon juice. I mean add lemon juice in the 4th bucket.

Usually I have a 4 bucket system. The first bucket has h202 in it. The second bucket has lemon juice and baking soda. The third and 4th buckets just have plain water for rinsing. But I wonder how it would be with the third bucket being plain water and the 4th bucket having lemon juice in it.

Can someone give me a brief explanation of this term "cob"? I know what COBs are in terms of lighting, but cob?? What's that?
There is a thread by sweet sue let me see if I can find it

I believe the thread starter was talking about giving the freshly washed buds light if possible for the first day or so. Something about the photosynthesis still going because of the watering. But after that, light will degrade THC in the buds, so they're better dried and stored in the dark.
:passitleft:

Nice info ✊

hEllo everybody. This is my first post here. I actually read all 107 pages, every post and registered here. I came to this thread because I actually have a little PM problem (never had this issues before). The pm is quite light and I am in week 8 flowering. Think I will cut down in 7-10 days.

I will use the method in doc bud first post.
1. Water with h2o2
2. Water with lemon and baking soda
3. Water
4. Water
All with room temp water. Not sure now if I use ro water.

I had an idea about the pm wash maybe one of u tried it before. What you guys think about using water treated with ozone? Ozone also kills pm and can easy be applied to water with a tube and air stone.
Thanks for sharing any idea about that!
Yeah or get done horse tail fern tea and spray put silica and other goodies in helps prevent mold and more

Never heard of that curious to continue reading lol

I don't mean soak them in lemon juice. I mean add lemon juice in the 4th bucket.

Usually I have a 4 bucket system. The first bucket has h202 in it. The second bucket has lemon juice and baking soda. The third and 4th buckets just have plain water for rinsing. But I wonder how it would be with the third bucket being plain water and the 4th bucket having lemon juice in it.

I think this would be counter productive as the lemon and bake offset each other's PH which renders the bake as a mild abrasive and the lemon as a mild solvent, aimed at diluting foliar residues. If the lemon and bake aren't used together, as Graytail said yesterday, you'll have a final bucket of acid, and without the bake to counter the PH, might have adverse effects on your produce.

If you want to enhance the citrus terpenes from within, I've read that Potassium Sulfate will bring those scents/flavors out of a plant. I've not confirmed that, but I do believe it because the source of that information also stated that using more Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt) will enhance the sweeter/fruity scents and tastes and I can definitely confirm this to be 100% true. My Triple Cheese buds smell like Boo Berry cereal from the 80's and the smoke is sooooo sweet which jives well with the eartiness and musk. FWIW, I target around 50ppm of Sulfur and get those results.

boo-berry.jpg

Though to a lesser degree, the Epsom also sweetened the Kush I was growing before the Cheese. I run a 3 site perpetual and generally only grow one strain harvest after harvest after harvest.

Is there any benefit for an indoor grow that will mostly be smashed to rosin?

Oh yes, absolutely Sativuhhh. Just think of all the dust that collects on things, hair, dander, etc...
And then think of your exhaust fan pulling all that air through your grow space, pulling in even more contaminants.
Even if you're not using foliars, even though you're not smoking the plant material, I personally believe it will still make a big difference in the quality of the final product. How can it not help to wash all that junk off there?

You could even just wash a small batch your first time and compare, if you dont think the results are worth the extra work and time you can always forget about it! :passitleft:

I don't think a wash would matter as much for materials used to press rosin.

Hi fellow growers. I need some help with my math. Is this right?

5 liter bottle of 11% H202 solution

need 1.25 gallons at 3% to add to the 5 gallon bucket

How much of the 11% solution do I use?

I come up with 1.6 liters of the 11% solution.

notes:

11/3 = 3.67 which is the strenght of the 11% compared to the 3%

1.25 gallons / 3.67 = .341 which is the equivalent amount of H202 that you would need using the 11%

4.732 liters in 1.25 gallons

4.732 x .341 = 1.6 liters

So .... add 1.6 liters of the 11% solution to a bucket and top it up to 5 gallons ???????

:reading420magazine::nomo::passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom