Bud Washing

Coming up on my very first harvest ever. Is this something recommended to do? Or should i wait to get a grow or 2 under my belt before i come down this path? Please note id cry and probably suffer life long depression if i did anything to hurt my first harvest lol.
If you're still on the fence whether or not to wash, just split your harvest into "washed" and "not washed" samples. Then you can compare for yourself.

I grow outdoors, and after seeing all the yuk that comes off during wash, I hesitate to smoke some of my earlier stuff that didn't get washed. :eek:

Wouldnt you rather grow a frosty lemony strain and try to improve the quantity and quality of the terps you will get?
Real Chocolate or Chocolate flavored? Real Bourbon Vanilla or Vanillin?
Champagne or Sparkling Wine?
:Namaste:

I was simply experimenting with my strawberry cough. I don't know of any true lemon strawberry cough out there. I wanted to see if it would work and it seemed to slightly. Had a bottle of natural lemon extract I got from a lemon tree farm that did add a smell of lemon but not the limonene terpene taste you might get from a lemon haze for instance. It was fun experimenting tho

Ok I have read as much as I can bare and cannot find my answer. So my apologies if it's been answered. My question is, you guys all say lemon juice. Are you using the pre-made lemon juice or are you actually squeezing your lemons? The consensus the i've gathered is you guys are using the pre-made 100% lemon juice. Anyhow, I've also watched a lot of people doing the rinse with only h202 solution as opposed to Doc Bud's technique, with lemon $ baking soda. I'm curious which is more effective and/or affective to the well-being of my ladies. I'll be harvesting vedy soon.

Using the lemon juice to create a greater reaction of the baking soda to fizz up and make oxgenated bubbles that will wash the bud more and kill and possible mold by changing pH that won't promote it's growth.

I tried the lemon and baking soda once. But after some discussion, I believe in this thread, some of us stopped with that mix. I have a terrible memory that is only eclipsed by my laziness, else I would explain the reasoning behind it. Perhaps it involved potential residue from the baking soda, or the change in flavour, which I experienced to a lesser degree. But that is not a valid observation considering it was one test.

I will say the "bubble action" is not a factor. Certainly no more than H202. To say that lemon juice and baking soda will wash the bud more, without rigorous testing, is disingenuous and misleading. The main purpose of a bud wash is to remove particulates and kill any bacteria/fungus that may be present. The washing/agitation deals with the particulates. The solution, if strong enough (both lemon juice/h202), kills the bacteria/fungus. Both work. Use what you want.

The important thing is to rinse well. You don't want baking soda residue on your buds, and after evaporation takes place, if you don't rinse well enough that is exactly what will happen.

I only bud wash my outdoor girls they collect dust , bird shit . and other outdoor contaminants if that's even a word lmao. My indoor flowers are in a controlled environment if don't properly no need to wash just my 2 €ents. Smoke on.

White widow auto outdoor grow after bud wash.

20190813_172210_Signature.jpg
20190813_172231_Signature.jpg
20190813_172143_Signature.jpg

but what about all those trichomes that gets washed away? You can remove trichomes just by touching the bud so I dont doubt that water will destroy a lot of them.

There's easily tens of trics lost per every million, so the amount is very negligible.

but what about all those trichomes that gets washed away? You can remove trichomes just by touching the bud so I dont doubt that water will destroy a lot of them.

It's mythology....the idea that a wash loses triches. Outdoor plants in the tropics get rained on every day......

Plus, a few years back-----we've been doing this for a long time---washed/unwashed from the same plant was tested. No difference on the test as far as % THC, etc.

washed/unwashed from the same plant was tested. No difference on the test as far as % THC, etc.

In fact, it was a point or so higher in the washed sample - go figure. :hmmmm:

In fact, it was a point or so higher in the washed sample - go figure. :hmmmm:

Yep. I theorize that washing off all the crap and leaving all the resin improved the result. The sample size wasn't near large enough to say one way or the other.

But we can absolutely say that washing doesn't negatively effect potency and definitely improves flavor and healthiness of the final product.

I don't like smoking cat hair and dandruff.....or insects, bird crap, and dirt either.

Wash your buds people! Quit acting like dolts! Cannabis is produce, just like eggplant or lettuce! Wash it and stop acting stupid!

This is from a 4 plant indoor grow. Some fungus gnats were present but overall pretty clean environment.

You can see the water quality difference and that’s just a few small plants. This was just warm water and hydrogen peroxide. The wash water is yellowish with a ton of dirt and crap floating /sunken in the bucket. Even the second rinse bucket had noticeable crap in it.

The buds were fine, smooth smoke, packed a kick, and definitely didn’t lack trichomes.

The process of bud building and trichomes production occurs over many weeks. There is no way you could wash off all the trichomes. Even when making bubble hash, dried/frozen, and broken up bud that is agitated with a drill/spoon...you still can’t get them all. A second wash will always yield more bubble hash.

So a short dunk and agitation in a bucket when fresh is minor. I don’t like smoking hair and other crap in my bud but that’s me.

Came across this thread and was intrigued, but skeptical. Took a few solid nights to read through all 2200+ posts, but I'll be damned if this isn't going to be put into good use for me. The results posted are damn well convincing; made a believer out of me for sure. Thumbs up, and thanks @Doc Bud

First timer here... (last night)

Before
85CE1AF0-989F-44F9-8F98-C3CAF5CE29FE.jpeg

After
ED78AFEF-4337-43BC-B95C-771F8A6F7F9F.jpeg

99BED318-164F-473A-8002-88CFA0F1DDF1.jpeg

E95DBD01-B793-48E4-B0C1-F967627F4D08.jpeg

I found too many “recipes” so took ideas from all, and added some of mine. I didn’t have PM, but I had spider mites.

#1: 1qt 3% H202 - 4 gallons hose water (room temp)
#2: 1/2 cup BSoda/LJuice - 4 gallons tap water (warm) w/air stone
#3: 4 gallons straight hose water (room temp)
#4: 4 gallons straight spring water (cool)

16B2A3F8-507F-4564-B93E-AEBF0386DD72.jpeg

The only thing noticeable that I see is that they look a lot lusher than pre wash. The green is greener, trics look the same.

I plan to wash the other 5 in the same fashion. I might up the H202 to a 1h:4w I’m the first bucket.

I’ve been told that 50/50 is effective on mites, but got nervous.

I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't use it!

Water will not harm resin....oil can and does.

I’m doin a big outdoor grow how many times can I do this method before changing out the water or does that matter thanks

Back
Top Bottom