Bud Washing

Yeah you don’t need a whole cup! At the start of this thread the recipe listed is 1/2 cup of each in the first 20L bucket (5gal).

Then Doc popped in and revised it to say 1/4 cup of each is enough :thumb:

heres a good example of very tiny fibres on a very small section of bud. My tent and environs are pretty clean, but even so. It doesn’t look like much, but they are often synthetic fibres and this is only one square half inch of a plant - i count 6 visible ‘contaminants’. Apart from the fact that they can ruin a potentially great photo, I wouldn’t want those melted into any squishes ;)
:Namaste:

And RO water is entirely unnecessary.

Unless you have terrible well water or something like that.

:thumb:

And RO water is entirely unnecessary.

Unless you have terrible well water or something like that.

:thumb:
My tap is 125-140 and that's what I use to wash with. I always thought washing was a big deal, but it's really not. it adds a little time to harvest, but not noticeable. If we didn't foliar spray, then I probably wouldn't wash, but it's a must do, if folair is involved !! And as far as being gentle with the buds, i feel that's unnecessary.

That makes sense. I use Homer (Home Depot) buckets. They multipurpose!!

I haven't tasted much difference washed or un-washed tbh but clean flowers are clean.
Only the best will do.

Washing lessens the dry time by a day or 3 so I'm good with that. Prolly my favorite part.

You don't shed as much hair as I do!

Burning hair bits are not a favorite.

I do not! lol

My outdoor girls get dirty af tho. I've been scoping the leaves for critters and there's all sorts of stuff on the leaves hard to even identify. Mostly dirt ....

I'm back on the fence regarding this. There are so many people who are vehemently against bud washing. I've even had local growers (who's weed is amazing) look at my very strangely when I tell them I wash them. Some of these guys have also blamed the "fluffiness" of some of my buds due to the washing. Not that all my buds are fluffy.

I would definitely wash my buds if I got mites again, or if I grew outdoors. But if I can avoid it, I'm not doing it for the moment. I might wash bits and pieces of the next harvest so I can compare but I'm on the fence for the moment.

@keith1975 texture of flower is genetic mainly.

For example you wont turn a landrace sativa into dank nugs. It wont happen and you won't be able to wash the nuggieness out of dank nugs. 420% on that from experience.

All ya gotta do is take a look at your flowers under a scope at say 100-200x and if they are clean then fire away. If not wash away. I've found over time that washing is worth the little bit of extra work.

Just be gentle with the wash and rinse cycles and there's not difference well besides the dirt and stuff.

There are so many people who are vehemently against bud washing.

I haven't checkd for a couple of years, but most people who are 'vehemently against bud washing' fall into two categories:
Category 1) They never tried bud washing.
Category 2) They are vehemently against the extra work involved.

I'm not trying to say they are wrong. The human race has a long tradition of trashing ideas they have never tried. I also support doing the right amount of work for the right amount of results, and understand this to be a personal value.

I haven't checkd for a couple of years, but most people who are 'vehemently against bud washing' fall into two categories:

I'm not trying to say they are wrong. The human race has a long tradition of trashing ideas they have never tried. I also support doing the right amount of work for the right amount of results, and understand this to be a personal value.
Check my thread out. Pics of my first wash. Just posted now, :)

Pigeonholing, what's with that?

There are other reasons.

I had powdery mildew. Sprayed the plants constantly with potassium bicarb and kept it under control, but I wasn't going to smoke it, either the dead pm or the Kbicarb, so I washed with H2O2 at every harvest. A total PIA, plus judging from the stickiness of the washing tubs, I was loosing a trich or two.

I never noticed that it ever made anything tastier than what I'd grown before this pm stuff, so I have to call bs on that.

I've since beaten the pm, and am so happy not to have to wash... it's a quality destroying work around as far my experience.

H2O2 is pretty harsh. :straightface: So I'm not surprised that it wasn't that good.

You should try just the lemon juice and baking soda.

The one time I had to use H2O2 for PM, the buds were definitely smokable but not great at all. They were a little harsh, even after a full wash (H2O2 first), and the terps were down.

Try it without the H2O2 sometime.

On the PM thing... bud washing with lemon juice and baking soda will get rid of it.

PM is only bad for people whom are allergic to it. Flower that is tested for sale in dispensaries are ONLY tested for chemicals that are sprayed on the plant to rid the plant of PM since they are un-healthy for hoo-man consumption. PM wont hurt you. Its on a lot of fruit.

Caveat - not saying PM is good.... just saying it can be washed off and your flower will be ok to smoke and wont be shit. Not all PM is visible. By the time you see it growing its already out of control. Can look at your leaves with a scope to see it starting. Nip it in the bud before there are spores floating around and you're 90% on your way to not having a problem.

I've found sulfur in VEG to rid the plants of the spores and any mold that is starting. I dont use Sulfur in flower.

H2O2 is pretty harsh. :straightface: So I'm not surprised that it wasn't that good.

You should try just the lemon juice and baking soda.

The one time I had to use H2O2 for PM, the buds were definitely smokable but not great at all. They were a little harsh, even after a full wash (H2O2 first), and the terps were down.

Try it without the H2O2 sometime.

More so than baking soda and lemon? Really? Why do you think? I have tried that, but didn't notice any difference in the quality of the smoke. I supply a few folks, and none have noticed a decline in anything with the H2O2, but we're probably just a bunch of rubes, lol!

And, I am trying without the H2O2, no pm, no need to wash! Contrary to the other testimonials, we've see no enhancement, or whatever, from bud washing. Perhaps it has something good to do if your grow is really dirty, if you've got pm, or you do a bunch of foliars, and then maybe a chuck in the front loader might be the ticket?

Guess I'm just saying, I would rather grow buds that don't need washing.

Guess I'm just saying, I would rather grow buds that don't need washing.

I agree with this - I've not washed buds many many times. I keep a clean ship in the flower room VERY clean so its not about washing off the dirt.

There are good reasons to wash, as mentioned foliars and folks that have an IPM regimen, this will be helpful as well as anyone that was spraying for an active pest infestation. Nice to wash off the dead critters, not that they are bad for health per-se.

I've found that washing has improved/shortened my drying times a few days. IF for no other reason that's a good one there. I do get more consistency in the finished flower with regard to drying and curing.

For personal use, prolly a toss up but clean is better than dirty for sure. I change out my air handling filters for the really crappy issues floating around. That and hemp mites.

what if you got into a hurry and forgot to wash , can you do a mid drying wash ? shouldn't take in that much moisture in a quick wash ?

I wouldn't recommend it. You'll lose a lot more trichs.

I've chopped and trimmed one day, and washed the next and that was ok - kept the fresh stuff in the dark with no circulation - nice and moist still.

But I don't think anyone recommends it.

Back
Top Bottom