Bud Washing

Hey just a quick question for ya doc ?

Wife bought this it has the active lifting agent I believe? I'm pretty sure sir.

my question is how much should I put in a 5 gal bucket ?

And how much baking soda sir ?

Thank in advance sir ..
420-magazine-mobile710979658.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1682727863.jpg
Quarter to half cup of each.

BTW, the K-meta in the lemon juice is the exact stuff wine makers use to kill natural yeast on the freshly harvested grapes in order that they can innoculate with their choice of yeast for fermentation.

This tech not only doesn't effect flavor in weed, it doesn't effect it in wine either.

Makes sense bud I just did a little branch on a screwed up outdoor plant with baking soda and tad bit of lemon juice cleaned it and smell and such vivid colour the smell
Seems to increase to me and yes there was some shit floating around then I rinse bucket of water and shaked. Ow it upstairs in a room hanging upside down with a slight breeze top temp is 73 and humidity around 60 %
Will monitor closely ...

I'd never washed buds before today and found it to be a completely delicious experience.

Feeling the density and weight of the buds in the water, and the eucalyptus minty mango aromatherapy that accompanied the process, infused with a touch of the lemon - visceral, and heady! A practice for life.

CCBDau_drip1.jpg

CCBDau_drip2.jpg

Sorry guys but i dont mean to hijack this thread with another matter but i am looking for advice. Seen as this thread gets viewed by many then i hope to hear something back pronto. The 3 following pics show the strange growth i am getting on my granddaddy purple (gdp).

20171112_150248.jpg
20171112_150311.jpg
20171112_150442.jpg

This seems to be happening with the majority of the buds (last pic is 1 of the main colas). Grown in a 10L pot with multi purpose compost, on my balcony. It is in the last stage of growth and was recently flushed. Temps are from 5°C to 10°C during the day (cold 10°C not warm) and less than that at night so have now been bringing the plant indoors at night to keep it a bit warmer and help dry out the soil a wee bit. Light is only hitting the plant from around 1pm to 4pm (if there are no clouds) so yeied will be compromised. When brought indoors plant is covered with a black bag to stop light and the cat nibbling. On occasions the plant has been left out on the balcony and there are some street lights but not enough to stop flowering and on most occasions the plant was covered with a bag to stop the light. Also over the last 10 days or so i have been removing fan leaves that are pretty much done (defoliation). Will be removing the rest of the fan leaves in 3-4 days time.

What is this strange growth and is it anything to worry about? Wanted to pull the plant in 10 days time but kow thinking of doing in 5-6 days time.

Those are nanners see how they look like a banana .

You want to get tweezer and pinch them and pluck them off . I've never had that happened but have heard . Here I'll get you a link to a a girl who had this issue she might be able to help more hold on I'll grab the link and you can reach out . Tell her kingjoe83 sent ya .
Brb

Alright here is link

Pretty sure she had a few of those happen.

First Grow - White Widow Fem - Soil - LED

First Grow - White Widow Fem - Soil - LED

I had a feeling it be nanners. Upon closer inspection there doesnt appear to be any pollen sacs attached so i hope that will still be the case over the next few days, they just look like new foliage and have peeled back the buds just to check for pollen sacs. Am thinking at this late stage that it be too late for pollen to form and be effective seen as i be chopping soon. What would happen if i dont pull these wee nanners out?

I had a feeling it be nanners. Upon closer inspection there doesnt appear to be any pollen sacs attached so i hope that will still be the case over the next few days, they just look like new foliage and have peeled back the buds just to check for pollen sacs. Am thinking at this late stage that it be too late for pollen to form and be effective seen as i be chopping soon. What would happen if i dont pull these wee nanners out?

Check out that link or post in ask us anything forums hold on

Link
Ask Us Anything - Sharing Knowledge 420Style

Ask Us Anything - Sharing Knowledge 420Style

I was highly skeptical of the bud washing thing that i read about else ware recently..... at first it seemed like an insane idea. after reading this thread.... well I got my cotton candy kush finishing up week 1 of flowering stretch. she should be done around end of December or early January i think and I plan on washing maybe 2 or 3 branches out of the harvest and separating them for a side by side comparison. From what I keep reading this seems to be working for everyone... so I will try it. Excited but also very nervous as I really need this harvest to come out as good as possible. Ill be subbing this thread for the future. I also read a thread about the gas lantern routine and the diminished light schedule By Daniel Boughen. I set my new clones to the GLR schedule and I will be experimenting with these on next grow. Wish me luck! and thanks all for all this great info. I recommended this site to a good friend of mine that just started his first grow in another state because I always find great information here. he does not currently have good internet but when he does I expect he will be creating a profile and journal. Thanks again guys and gals!

I did side by side test of the budwashing, using the 3 container method. Just tried the cured washed buds vs. the straight cured (unwashed). The washed was a little smoother, but noticeably less flavorful. The strength seemed about the same. I think the washed buds were also a bit more dense, but that really matters to me not at all.

I only do two buckets one for lemon juice and baking soda and one for rinse. Never going back to not washing . Thanks doc.

I got some lower branches and buds off a friend but they were jam packed together that washing them would be nigh on impossible but still some pretty decent smoke. I cut my gdp in 4 or 5 days time, would like to have let it go 10 days but the nanners are giving me cause for concern. I have inspected a few and cant see any pollen sacs but am thinking that seeds wont have time to form. Since i found out about bud washing i would only do 3 buckets if there is any mould and thankfully there is none of that so would do just the 2 buckets, lemon and baking soda plus rinse. With the chance there could be some pollen (not likely) then will do a wash with h2o2, then the other 2 buckets as normal. Am thinking the reason behind a h2o2 wash is if there is any pollen the h2o2 will damage or make any pollen unviable and that wash wont damage the plant. If i get some seeds then so be it. This will be my first time chopping a plant and hanging her in a box complete. Only problem i have is trying to get airflow in the box so after 1st 3 days inside i will move her back on the balcony to finish the drying process. Temps will be cooler so drying wont be rushed and there will be the outside air that will get around the buds.

I did another side by side test of one washed & unwashed harvested & cured strain. Initial obs hold: washed is slightly smoother, buds are denser (which doesn't matter at all to me), but has less flavor than the unwashed.

Given the work & mess involved & the loss of flavor, I don't think I'll bother w/ washing again.

Could've been circumstances: my outdoor grow had considerable rain before harvest. I didn't find much non-plant material (dirt, debris, etc) in any of the tubs--primary fragments in all three tubs was plant material, including some of the fragments from initial trim.

To be sure: the bud washing didn't seem to harm anything other reducing flavor, but I didn't find it to be worth the time & mess.

I did another side by side test of one washed & unwashed harvested & cured strain. Initial obs hold: washed is slightly smoother, buds are denser (which doesn't matter at all to me), but has less flavor than the unwashed.

Given the work & mess involved & the loss of flavor, I don't think I'll bother w/ washing again.

Could've been circumstances: my outdoor grow had considerable rain before harvest. I didn't find much non-plant material (dirt, debris, etc) in any of the tubs--primary fragments in all three tubs was plant material, including some of the fragments from initial trim.

To be sure: the bud washing didn't seem to harm anything other reducing flavor, but I didn't find it to be worth the time & mess.

I was kind of hoping you would follow up on a one week later report - does the washed bud still taste less flavorful after a week?

I find your results surprising.

Unless you are missing the flavors of hair or dust, I'm not sure why you experience a reduction in flavor.

I've tried to make that sentence sound less snarky, it's not meant to be. I'm being totally literal here.

The trichomes aren't falling off, all the flavorful oil is still inside them. Volatile terpenes might disappear under an alcohol or bleach wash, even strong sunlight for an hour, but less than 2 minutes in a mild surfactant and a rinse just doesn't remove significant parts of the plant, only stuff on the plant.

Are you doing something extra, like taking a blow dryer to the washed buds? Microwaving them dry?

At he outset: I never conflate frank exchanges w/snarkiness.

I don't why the washed buds were noticeably less flavorful. I don't think it's a matter of the lack of dust or bugs--as I noted (probably not clearly enough), my wash buckets weren't terrifically dirty, not even the first bucket.

I also don't know why the washed buds were a bit smoother (as many others have reported). Perhaps it's related.

I do know the dif. in flavor & smoothness was noticeable.

& nope nothing bizarre on the curing drying front. Both washed & unwashed buds were treated the same: airdried in the time honored fashion: hanging for about a week, dry-trimmed & cured (with burping) for over a month.

I'm not trying to slag the method. Just reporting my experience. (May sound crazy, but I'm the closest thing I've got to a voice of reason)

At he outset: I never conflate frank exchanges w/snarkiness.

I don't why the washed buds were noticeably less flavorful. I don't think it's a matter of the lack of dust or bugs--as I noted (probably not clearly enough), my wash buckets weren't terrifically dirty, not even the first bucket.

I also don't know why the washed buds were a bit smoother (as many others have reported). Perhaps it's related.

I do know the dif. in flavor & smoothness was noticeable.

& nope nothing bizarre on the curing drying front. Both washed & unwashed buds were treated the same: airdried in the time honored fashion: hanging for about a week, dry-trimmed & cured (with burping) for over a month.

I'm not trying to slag the method. Just reporting my experience. (May sound crazy, but I'm the closest thing I've got to a voice of reason)

Nothng crazy sounding, it's your authentic experience :)

I'm going to try a blind test of the washed & unwashed w/ an amigo & will report back.

The results of the blind smoke test with an amigo of: 1) washed, dried, & cured home grown bud vs & 2) same strain of unwashed bud, dried & cured the same way.

He initially thought the unwashed might be a different strain than the washed, but then backed up because the flavor profile was too similar, though noticeably different to him. He then guessed (wrongly) that they’d been cured differently & then he guessed that they were harvested in different weeks (wrong again).

When I asked him the difference, he took a coupla more hits of each & said that one was slightly more flavorful, while the other was appreciably smoother. The “other” smoother one was the washed bud.

Granted, small sample #, but another longtime enthusiast arrived at place similar to my initial impressions.

I doubt it had much to do with the strain, but for the record, it was Lemon Meringue.

The results of the blind smoke test with an amigo of: 1) washed, dried, & cured home grown bud vs & 2) same strain of unwashed bud, dried & cured the same way.

He initially thought the unwashed might be a different strain than the washed, but then backed up because the flavor profile was too similar, though noticeably different to him. He then guessed (wrongly) that they'd been cured differently & then he guessed that they were harvested in different weeks (wrong again).

When I asked him the difference, he took a coupla more hits of each & said that one was slightly more flavorful, while the other was appreciably smoother. The "other" smoother one was the washed bud.

Granted, small sample #, but another longtime enthusiast arrived at place similar to my initial impressions.

I doubt it had much to do with the strain, but for the record, it was Lemon Meringue.

Great post - thank you! Would you say the loss of flavour would prevent you from washing buds in future?

Back
Top Bottom