Bud Washing

Do you think there is any loss in smell? Do washed buds (washed with this method) smell like typical weed or was the smell muted along with taste?

Thanks!

Do you think there is any loss in smell? Do washed buds (washed with this method) smell like typical weed or was the smell muted along with taste?

Thanks!

I've nothing vex it enhances the the aroma at first . Also brings bud colour out a tad more. I'll never not wash buds again

If budwashing resulted in a loss of quality, people wouldn't do it!

Smell? Oh my....you'll not find better smell and taste. Again, HUNDREDS of us are doing this, and if it resulted in a decrease in quality we wouldn't do it. What I grow goes for a premium.....and all of it is washed, every time.

Ditto lab testing....there are results posted right here on this thread.....somewhere, lol.......

There's no reason NOT to wash buds, but there are many reasons why you should!

I harvested my first plant (bag seed, so all I know is "indica") mid-October, washed according to directions in this thread, and dried low & slow. Curing started 4 weeks ago. Yesterday, we launched on our maiden voyage.

The smell was decidedly lemony, which makes me wonder if I didn't rinse well enough in the 2 buckets of plain water. The taste seemed muted to me. BUT...

First, I smoked a bit in the Journey 3 pipe. The smoke was very smooth. I could feel the heat hit the back of my throat, but it was different than being "harsh." It was a really "clean" tasting toke.

Then, I vaped with the V2 Pro series 7. It was so smooth, I couldn't really tell whether I was getting more than just air until I exhaled and saw the vapor.

I definitely appreciate the smoothness of the toke, especially compared with the "store bought" weed the seed came from. I'll wash my next harvest, but I might adjust the lemon juice/baking soda down a little in the hopes that the classic MJ smell & taste come through more. (I used 3-gallon tubs vs 5-gallon buckets and used 2/3 cup of each LJ/BS rather than a whole cup.)

If budwashing resulted in a loss of quality, people wouldn't do it!

Smell? Oh my....you'll not find better smell and taste. Again, HUNDREDS of us are doing this, and if it resulted in a decrease in quality we wouldn't do it. What I grow goes for a premium.....and all of it is washed, every time.

Ditto lab testing....there are results posted right here on this thread.....somewhere, lol.......

There's no reason NOT to wash buds, but there are many reasons why you should!

Well said doc .

Thanks to you I try to let everybody n know about this thread bud .

Thanks again for sharing your info with us bud.

I harvested my first plant (bag seed, so all I know is "indica") mid-October, washed according to directions in this thread, and dried low & slow. Curing started 4 weeks ago. Yesterday, we launched on our maiden voyage.

The smell was decidedly lemony, which makes me wonder if I didn't rinse well enough in the 2 buckets of plain water. The taste seemed muted to me. BUT...

First, I smoked a bit in the Journey 3 pipe. The smoke was very smooth. I could feel the heat hit the back of my throat, but it was different than being "harsh." It was a really "clean" tasting toke.

Then, I vaped with the V2 Pro series 7. It was so smooth, I couldn't really tell whether I was getting more than just air until I exhaled and saw the vapor.

I definitely appreciate the smoothness of the toke, especially compared with the "store bought" weed the seed came from. I'll wash my next harvest, but I might adjust the lemon juice/baking soda down a little in the hopes that the classic MJ smell & taste come through more. (I used 3-gallon tubs vs 5-gallon buckets and used 2/3 cup of each LJ/BS rather than a whole cup.)

See I do a five gal bucket ish lol and put 1/2 cup lj and 1/4 cup baking soda I don't put h202 in it . No need of mold is not an issue like doc said himself I believe h202 is ment to treat pm not prevent .

Great post - thank you! Would you say the loss of flavour would prevent you from washing buds in future?

Just to clarify: the loss of flavor was slight, although noticeable. The increased smoothness was more noticeable, to me & my amigo.

The result could have been particular to my harvest: Those buds got a lot of rain & dew prior to harvest, which might have "washed" the buds while still in the garden. Given the results, I might not try washing again because of the hassle & mess (3 buckets, peroxide, baking soda, lemon juice, sloshing water) & because it didn't seem to make a major difference in how it smoked.

BUT: I may try it again if I have several weeks of dry weather prior harvest...but that seldom happens in my part of the planet.

I agree with that plan. Use less, maybe in the 1/4 to 1/3 cup range.

I use 1/2 cup each in a 5 gal bucket then the 2 rinses and have not had any issues only this one plant was so harsh with my test buds before harvest was so harsh that after washing was alot smoother but the real test is today when I cut my first real plants 2 crown Royale is gonna be washed any more when I cut a sample I give it a rinse and hang

I washed my harvest before last, and then my last harvest, and I didn't really notice a big difference. But I still feel like washing them off just because I know I have bad dandruff, there's cat hair in my air everywhere, dust, etc. The only reason I didn't wash the last harvest is because I had a "friend" who insisted on helping me trim and he just started cutting and hanging without waiting for me to wash ( I had the buckets RIGHT there ) so I just went with it.

What's the deal with lemon juice though? Is that just an organic alternative to hydrogen peroxide?

I washed my harvest before last, and then my last harvest, and I didn't really notice a big difference. But I still feel like washing them off just because I know I have bad dandruff, there's cat hair in my air everywhere, dust, etc. The only reason I didn't wash the last harvest is because I had a "friend" who insisted on helping me trim and he just started cutting and hanging without waiting for me to wash ( I had the buckets RIGHT there ) so I just went with it.

What's the deal with lemon juice though? Is that just an organic alternative to hydrogen peroxide?

Lemon juice AND (do not omit the AND!!) Baking Soda form a mild surfactant....which cleans the buds. It leave no flavor if you rinse as instructed. 1/2 cup of each is sufficient, 1 cup won't hurt.

The lemon juice also has K-meta (potassium metabisulfite) which will keep all mold and nasty stuff away while drying.

FYI, I'm working on a budwash that uses K-meta WITHOUT the lemon juice and baking soda. My wine maker friends use this stuff all the time when they want to use a certain yeast to ferment and not the natural yeast.

Obviously, if it effected flavor they wouldn't use it! It's the norm in wine making and the same tech can be adapted to budwashing.

Of course, the LJ and soda works just fine too.....but what I'm working on will hopefully kill budrot, PM.....all of it.

Lemon juice AND (do not omit the AND!!) Baking Soda form a mild surfactant....which cleans the buds. It leave no flavor if you rinse as instructed. 1/2 cup of each is sufficient, 1 cup won't hurt.

The lemon juice also has K-meta (potassium metabisulfite) which will keep all mold and nasty stuff away while drying.

FYI, I'm working on a budwash that uses K-meta WITHOUT the lemon juice and baking soda. My wine maker friends use this stuff all the time when they want to use a certain yeast to ferment and not the natural yeast.

Obviously, if it effected flavor they wouldn't use it! It's the norm in wine making and the same tech can be adapted to budwashing.

Of course, the LJ and soda works just fine too.....but what I'm working on will hopefully kill budrot, PM.....all of it.

Thanks Doc,
Please keep us informed how it is working out.

Nice! Grape crossover!

Damn doc.

Looking forward to hearing what you got up sleeve

Yeah I did it with baking soda and lemon juice.

I was thinking it would be nice to find some food storage bags big enough to fit in to a bucket as a liner, that way I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning buckets, or buying new buckets. I used 2 gallon buckets last time, that was all the store had.

I didn't find any added flavor in this yr's wash (2nd bucket was lemon juice+baking soda), but my last wash was pure water, per instructions, in a 5 gal bucket & I copiously rinsed in that final dunking + plus changed water fairly frequently in that last rinse bucket.

You could have washed after trimming. It is what i do. I trim (use it for bubble hash or oil) then i wash the branches/plant then hang to dry. No matter what crap is in your trim as most of it wont make it through the 1st or 2nd bag and any that does get through is minor and can be picked out with no hassle. Take off all fan leaves together, you both trim and once you got a good bit through he continues trimming while you start washing. Simples!

Well I guess I'll definitely be trying it this round, but I don't know how likely it is to help my new situation... I didn't think before removing some duct tape sealing my hood up, and now there's all sorts of little flakes like this on my weed. I'm just worried because I'm only a little half way through flower, and I don't know if the flowers are going to grow out more to "envelope" these flakes and if bud washing will actually be able to remove them when finished?

IMG_20171207_125022.jpg
IMG_20171207_124910.jpg
IMG_20171207_124856.jpg
IMG_20171207_124843.jpg
IMG_20171207_124836.jpg

Back
Top Bottom