Bud Washing

Anything up to a cup of lemon juice in one of those big buckets is going to be fine :thumb:

Doc revised the recipe at some point to half a cup of lemon juice and half a cup of bi-carb. Not because there was an issue I dont think... just because he noted that half the amount did just as good a job, so why use more. I used lime juice and it’s just as good (I had a lime tree full of fruit ;) )

Good luck with the harvest and wash @stoneotter and thatnks for the compliments on my harvests and drying line :yummy:

:Namaste:

Anything up to a cup of lemon juice in one of those big buckets is going to be fine :thumb:

Doc revised the recipe at some point to half a cup of lemon juice and half a cup of bi-carb. Not because there was an issue I dont think... just because he noted that half the amount did just as good a job, so why use more. I used lime juice and it’s just as good (I had a lime tree full of fruit ;) )

Good luck with the harvest and wash @stoneotter and thatnks for the compliments on my harvests and drying line :yummy:

:Namaste:
Thanks Amy. Hope you're missing the big storm today

Bud washing helped me save two big outdoor plants this summer!!! I recently moved to a new area. Much more agriculture and mad caterpillars. I had no idea my crops were being attacked until I peeked into one of my fat colas and found one caterpillar. Three days later, and after going through each plant with tweezers, I removed about 50 of those little bastards. I harvested about three weeks after that and picked through each bud, removing any damage and throwing out buds that were beyond saving. I trimmed immediately and then did my washing (as Doc Bud prescribes in this thread). After drying/curing, I jarred up everything and handed out samples to known afficianados. I got good marks on my work from everyone. I will say that I ended up doing waaaay more work than I would have with an indoor controlled environment, but I was able to save a crop that probably would have been discarded otherwise. I really want to say thanks to Doc Bud, and owe this thread much gratitude.

I really want to say thanks to Doc Bud, and owe this thread much gratitude.

Welcome to 420mag socaller! :welcome:

Great tale - I’m glad you found this and saved your crop :). Stick around! There’s no end to the wonderful array of things to do with ganja ... it’s all here to discover! :yummy:

Bud washing helped me save two big outdoor plants this summer!!! I recently moved to a new area. Much more agriculture and mad caterpillars. I had no idea my crops were being attacked until I peeked into one of my fat colas and found one caterpillar. Three days later, and after going through each plant with tweezers, I removed about 50 of those little bastards. I harvested about three weeks after that and picked through each bud, removing any damage and throwing out buds that were beyond saving. I trimmed immediately and then did my washing (as Doc Bud prescribes in this thread). After drying/curing, I jarred up everything and handed out samples to known afficianados. I got good marks on my work from everyone. I will say that I ended up doing waaaay more work than I would have with an indoor controlled environment, but I was able to save a crop that probably would have been discarded otherwise. I really want to say thanks to Doc Bud, and owe this thread much gratitude.
Hi socaller, perfect first post here. I've been saved and guided many times from the kind and sometimes fun folks here. Welcome to good times and grows.

This is my third year of bud washing. I had a very clean grow this season, however, just being outside is enough to turn my first bucket in to a brown mess. Any way, for any new-comers, thought I'd show you a pic of the trichs on my purple kush before and after.

This was taken before the wash.

Purp 1.jpg

This was taken after the wash.
Purple After Wash.jpg

As you can see, there is absolutely no noticeable loss of trichs, but boy, should of taken a pic of the disgusting first wash bucket. Trust me, gross !

Have nine more ladies to go. This season I grew two of each of the following: Purple Kush (Kannabia Purple-Black Domina, G13 G99, Female Seeds C99, World of Seeds Landrace Afghan and World of Seeds Landrace Columbian Gold). My oh my the gold is looking gorgeous, but then again, they all are this year.

Columbian Gold
Columbian Gold.jpg

Happy trails you all.

Zafu

This is my third year of bud washing. I had a very clean grow this season, however, just being outside is enough to turn my first bucket in to a brown mess. Any way, for any new-comers, thought I'd show you a pic of the trichs on my purple kush before and after.

This was taken before the wash.

Purp 1.jpg

This was taken after the wash.
Purple After Wash.jpg

As you can see, there is absolutely no noticeable loss of trichs, but boy, should of taken a pic of the disgusting first wash bucket. Trust me, gross !

Have nine more ladies to go. This season I grew two of each of the following: Purple Kush (Kannabia Purple-Black Domina, G13 G99, Female Seeds C99, World of Seeds Landrace Afghan and World of Seeds Landrace Columbian Gold). My oh my the gold is looking gorgeous, but then again, they all are this year.

Columbian Gold
Columbian Gold.jpg

Happy trails you all.

Zafu
Those are some mighty fine clean looking buds there.. :goodjob:

So, taking Trich pics to determine which next to harvest tomorrow and lo & behold what do I spy on a columbian flower, but a little tiny naked to the eye insect critter (Far Left, Middle) I ask myself, who in their right mind would want to smoke, or eat that? My question echos until a distant memory.

Columbian Gold trih critter.jpg

Question subsides, scratch my head and ponder how this could be so close to ready, just 55 days flowering, 20+ prior to expected. Of course, I could be wrong on start of flower, since outside, each genetic begins to flower at a different time. /note to self

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.

Zafu

I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't
I'm glad to see people are adopting my bud washing technique!

Yes, I "invented" it. I shared it with you folks here on 420....and nowhere else. I've never met, spoken to, or heard about anyone else doing it before I tried it.....and I enjoy freaking people out by putting fresh buds in a bucket of water....

But as many have said here, the results speak for themselves!

Let me put it to you like this:

Let's say I grew lettuce, cucumbers, tomatos and carrots in my basement. It's dusty down there, I've got fans flowing all around....battled with some PM, had some mites.....every now and then I get some rot or other disease on my plants....bugs flying around, dead skin cells, hair.....and I spray the plants with compost tea, fish fertilizer, kelp meal, etc.

So, you wanna come over for a salad? We'll just pull the veggies out of the ground, plop 'em in a bowl and start eating! No need to wash.....right?

The first time you wash your harvest and see all that brown crap left behind you'll begin to see the light! Then, when you smoke your first washed harvest, you'll understand.

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

Final manicure of buds is best done after they dry. It goes very fast and you're left with washed, highly resinous trim....makes superb joints. I'm also educating my customers to select untrimmed buds, which are actually better than the manicured ones because they still have sugar leaves attached. The trichomes in the leaves have more THC than those in the buds.....so it's good to get the whole spectrum in there.

I give instructions for this in my journals, as I do it every single week, on every single harvest. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

This works so well for a couple reasons:

1. takes off dirt, foliar sprays, bugs, fiberglass dust, etc.
2. fully hydrates the leaves, allowing photosynthesis to occur for a day or two on cut and trimmed buds. I recommend leaving a light on the buds for the first day or two after washing.

This results in very, dense, clean burning, smooth tasting produce! That's the basic recipe....and I'm tweaking and changing it all the time.

Warning: Do NOT use an "organic produce wash" that is based on oils! They sell these in grocery stores and health food stores, and while they might be good for lettuce and cukes....the oil removes resin from the plants.....don't use it!

Water will not harm resin....oil can and does.

Anyone who wants to know more about my methods is welcome to ask me about them anytime!

So last year we washed our buds with your recipe we are happy with the results. this year we just harvested today two of our outdoor grow plants and noticed we had some mites on the leaves very little but we could see evidence. So we for sure washed. should we have added anything else besides the baking soda and lemon juice

Well, most people thought I was crazy to wash my harvests. Then, they tried it. Once you try it you'll always do it.

It might just be that I know what I'm talking about....you never know.
Two days ago we harvested two out of six of our plants in our outdoor grow. While big leafing we found some mites on the leaves. We did wash the bud in the baking soda lemon juice water solution. Will this kill the mites and we should we be adding something else.

Two days ago we harvested two out of six of our plants in our outdoor grow. While big leafing we found some mites on the leaves. We did wash the bud in the baking soda lemon juice water solution. Will this kill the mites and we should we be adding something else.

Hi Softballrox, I'm not sure of what Doc Bud or others would say, but from my limited experience, I'd recommend H202 in first bucket. Using food grade hydrogen Peroxide is simply amazing at cleaning cannibus. I had to use it three years ago in my first grow due to some mold, and it did such an incredible job, yielding incredible herb, that I'd never hesitate to use it again in situations I felt it may be needed. I'll just say that if I had mites, I'd use it. It should kill them and clean your herb really well. I can tell you in my first grow with that little bit of mold, unknowing to me, there were a few catapillars hiding too and the H2O2 drove em out fast and killed them; so think it's safe to assume the mites would suffer the same fate. In such situations, Doc Bud recommends in the first bucket as below...

"Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202."

Then 2nd bucket with the lemon juice and baking soda, followed by two buckets of clear rinse water.

Best of luck.

Zafu

My wash buckets were; 1st with half cup bi-carb and half cup lime juice, 2nd and 3rd with water (rain water). No PM so no H202 required.
So Amy, I have a rain barrel full of, well rain. I'm assuming it cleans the buds just fine. The water in my barrel is clear and comes in at 6.5pH. You said you didn't use the H2O2 due to no PM. What is PM? I'm thinking pests/mold.
Also, the nights are cooler and I know the roots absorb water best at 20C...what temps should the rain water be no lower than for bud washing? I have read a couple of posts about warm water but does it matter as long as it's not too cold?

Or, has anyone tried washing their buds in really cold water to see what effect it does have on odor, taste, trichs, etc?

Back
Top Bottom