Budget grower's lighting

CharlieMopps

I'm just sitting around my house stoned, as it's my day off, and i got to thinking about efficiency of the lights i have and what i want to add for my grow this fall/winter. I have a 48" 40 watt 6 bulb fixture that i used for my grow last year. I did the math, where each light is putting out 2200 lumens, and i'm getting 54 lumens per watt of electricity used. I was looking at other peoples closet grows and i got curious about the specs on cfl's. Turns out, a 27 watt cfl putting out 1850 lumens works out to 68 lumens per watt of electric. I think i found what i want to suppliment my lighting with.
But as i was browsing the net looking for light specs, i came across a 150 watt hps lamp that'll screw into a regular medium socket.:whoa: It was pretty cheap too. I thought all hps and metal halides needed a balast system. I did the math with it putting out 15,800 lumens and it comes out to 105 lumens per watt. I might have to pick 1 or 2 of those up as they could be retrofitted onto a power strip like alot of people do with cfl's. Just thinkin out loud.:hmmmm::hmmmm:

I have a 150w HPS system w/ a ballast, which is not built in. The bulb I have in the socket could fit a regular light socket but it couldn't handle the power, I believe. I haven't seen a 150w HPS bulb w/ a built in b/f, do you have a pic or a url to the pic? I would love to see this is. I used to think a plain ol' 150w HPS bulb could run in a regular light socket w/ no ballast but i'm pretty sure its not possible.

Here is a pic of my 150w HPS
The light system on the right is the HPS
My_grow_lights.jpg

I have a 150w HPS system w/ a ballast, which is not built in. The bulb I have in the socket could fit a regular light socket but it couldn't handle the power, I believe. I haven't seen a 150w HPS bulb w/ a built in b/f, do you have a pic or a url to the pic? I would love to see this is. I used to think a plain ol' 150w HPS bulb could run in a regular light socket w/ no ballast but i'm pretty sure its not possible.

I'm dunno why it wouldn't work in a regular socket. I might have to try since the bulb is only like $14.
150 WATT HPS LAMP MEDIUM BASE - LU150/MED

im a brand new grower, how far should the light be away from the seeds. ( the light is hanging upside down) how many seeds do I use at a time. MAJOR QUESTION IS... I have an ECU Brightlight100 watt120 v. Can I use this , im just learning and getting started. Please help, Its like like i can just ask random people questions about pot because i dont any smokers around here.

thanks in advance.

pots? shouldnt i do the wet napkin folded with seeds in it? 12 hours on 12 off?

Sorry if im mistaken, im learning. Its taken me days to find out what most mf theses terms mean.

I appriciate your reply's

First off your plant wont grow in a napkin, thats just germination. Before the plant comes up over the soil it doesnt need light, once it breaks the sureface it does. 24/0, 18/6, for the veg cycle...And 12/12 for the flowering cycle.

how will i know when my germination process is complete? i put the seeds in water for 24 hours and now i dont know exactly what I need to do next.

thanks alot guys

OK after HOURS of reading and talking to a few people on here i understand a bit more. Im just waiting on my seeds to pop and then i will plant them. I understand how to plant them..etc... all because of you guys being patient and answering my stupid questions. I will start a journal for you guys, this is my first grow ever and i have only smoked for about 2 months so im learning alot.... I would love for someone to take me under there wing and be my "teacher" and i be the apprentice. It would be easier and i wouldnt look like an idiot. There may even be pay involved\, thats how much this means to me and how appriciative I am to you guys

First off your plant wont grow in a napkin, thats just germination. Before the plant comes up over the soil it doesnt need light, once it breaks the sureface it does. 24/0, 18/6, for the veg cycle...And 12/12 for the flowering cycle.

stonergrower thanks. how long does each light cycle last. like how many days on 24/0, how many days on 18/6,and on 12/12.

I have read so much but I cant find EVERYTHING.

Um, you should keep your plant in veg untill it's at minimum 1 foot tall, but that's only if you have an extremely small grow space. The longer you let the plant veg, the biger you're harvest is gonna be(under the same lighting).

Back
Top Bottom