Budman Growing Some Classics

JockBudman

Hello all, I'm currently growing four strains that have all been commercial classics in my area (well, kind of) and thought I'd document it.

The plants are one day into flower in 5litre pots under a 250w hps, they were vegged until between 8 and ten inches tall using a mixture of led and CFL, then the final week was under hps to get them used to it. They've been defoliated regularly and topped once.
This is my first hps grow - I've used both led and CFL in the past and I've had mixed results but never managed to get more than an ounce per plant at best. My goal is to hopefully get an ounce each at least from these four classic strains for a total of four ounce minimum.

The strains are as follows:

Female seeds - c99

The classic commercial sativa - known as the holy grail because the right pheno will finish in 8 weeks with a beautiful scent and high. I'm looking forward to this one.
I've grown the grapefruit from FS and it's been my favourite plant so far so I thought I'd try this one out as the mother of grapefruit. So far it's been wonderfully bush and fast growing with plenty of bud sites coming in. Very pleased.

Dinafem - original amnesia

I got this as a freebie in an order. It's a big import strain all over Europe coming out of Holland - I'm sure I've smoked a ton over the years without knowing it so we'll see what it's like.
So far the growth has been quite sativa but still definitely a hybrid. This and the blue cheese look quite similar but this one is slightly more narrow in the leaves.

Dinafem - blue cheese

The classic, it's what you get round here when 5 lads roll up in a golf blasting hip hop to sell you a light 8th. I quite like it so I'm hoping this will be a good representation.
It's the largest plant but the nodes are quite spaced out and there aren't too many budsites. I'm hoping it still yields well if possible.

Finally

Nirvana - aurora indica

This is kind of cheating as it isn't really a commercial strain but it's an Afghan X northern lights so I'm letting it slide as I've definitely smoked both individually from dealers. I've had this once before and I know it's a nice smoke so I'm looking forward to it and maximizing the yield if possible. This one actually grew a twin seedling so I put it in a 10litre pot rather than a 5. It's got great bushy growth so I'm hoping for some good budding from her.

Here's the plants. Clockwise from back left - blue cheese, aurora indica, c99, original amnesia.
[
IMG_20180211_142606673.jpg

Hello all, I'm currently growing four strains that have all been commercial classics in my area (well, kind of) and thought I'd document it.

The plants are one day into flower in 5litre pots under a 250w hps, they were vegged until between 8 and ten inches tall using a mixture of led and CFL, then the final week was under hps to get them used to it. They've been defoliated regularly and topped once.
This is my first hps grow - I've used both led and CFL in the past and I've had mixed results but never managed to get more than an ounce per plant at best. My goal is to hopefully get an ounce each at least from these four classic strains for a total of four ounce minimum.

The strains are as follows:

Female seeds - c99

The classic commercial sativa - known as the holy grail because the right pheno will finish in 8 weeks with a beautiful scent and high. I'm looking forward to this one.
I've grown the grapefruit from FS and it's been my favourite plant so far so I thought I'd try this one out as the mother of grapefruit. So far it's been wonderfully bush and fast growing with plenty of bud sites coming in. Very pleased.

Dinafem - original amnesia

I got this as a freebie in an order. It's a big import strain all over Europe coming out of Holland - I'm sure I've smoked a ton over the years without knowing it so we'll see what it's like.
So far the growth has been quite sativa but still definitely a hybrid. This and the blue cheese look quite similar but this one is slightly more narrow in the leaves.

Dinafem - blue cheese

The classic, it's what you get round here when 5 lads roll up in a golf blasting hip hop to sell you a light 8th. I quite like it so I'm hoping this will be a good representation.
It's the largest plant but the nodes are quite spaced out and there aren't too many budsites. I'm hoping it still yields well if possible.

Finally

Nirvana - aurora indica

This is kind of cheating as it isn't really a commercial strain but it's an Afghan X northern lights so I'm letting it slide as I've definitely smoked both individually from dealers. I've had this once before and I know it's a nice smoke so I'm looking forward to it and maximizing the yield if possible. This one actually grew a twin seedling so I put it in a 10litre pot rather than a 5. It's got great bushy growth so I'm hoping for some good budding from her.

Here's the plants. Clockwise from back left - blue cheese, aurora indica, c99, original amnesia.
[
IMG_20180211_142606673.jpg
Dam bro those girls look like ur rockn that grow already. An if u want to get bigger yields i would veg them a tad longer and get them taller b4 u flip. I let my girls get 20 to 24 inches b4 i flip to 12/12. But also 3 inches of that is bare stem i trim it all off at the bottom. Then i let my branches grow out till the rim of my pot. Then I let them go vertical till 20 inches or so. So in reality if i where to keep it closer to the lid of my pot i would veg 17 to 21 inches then flip. And I usually get anywhere from a 4 to 6 foot tall plant. But since I've been trying out new training techniques ive been getting smaller plants an still roughly same yield but sumtimes not. I'm starting to get things in order so I can start getting bigger yields by stacking up nodes nice and tight to make some good sized buds by the training technique called tip spreading or node stacking and letting it grow tall enough to make alot of bud sites plus having a good light. I had a c99 once awhile back as a freebie close 2 when I was first starting out n at the time i didn't know how to clone lol so i only got one plant but man some nice smoke. And tht blue cheese u got sounds amazing i wana go seed shopping now hahaha. Well great luck man with those girls.

Thanks dude and welcome to the grow. I like the sound of 4-6ft plants but sadly I'm limited by the tent only being 1.4m tall minus about 18inches for the pots and light so I have to keep them smallish.
Also I need more smoke to be done - I'm almost out and will definitely be struggling until this crop is done so I wanted to get it into flower as soon as I could.

I'll have a look at tip spreading, I've not heard of it before. This game moves so fast though - seems like there's a new trick every week .

Thought I'd do a quick mid week photo update. Stretch is going well so far, I'm impressed with the hps and the growth it's giving me - I'm currently watering more than usual as well.

There's a bit of burn on a leaf on the aurora because it was sat in the corner the fan can't reach as well. I rotate the plants daily round the tent anyway so she should recover but I'm keeping the light a bit higher now to compensate for how fast they're growing

CW from back left - aurora indica, c99, original amnesia, blue cheese
IMG_20180215_192137150_HDR.jpg

End of week 1

Well, things are going well in the tent after 1 week of 12-12. All plants are already showing pistils :jawdropper::jawdropper::jawdropper:

Here's the blue cheese showing pistil like a right tart
IMG_20180218_122900051.jpg

And here's the whole gang. CW from back left aurora indica c99 original amnesia blue cheese.
IMG_20180218_122849661_HDR.jpg

I'm down to my last few bits of the last grow so I'm glad these are showing sex so early :drool: hps is winning it for me so far in my opinion

Ganja gu brah

JB

Mid week (or maybe a day over mid week) update time.

Everything is going good, stretch is still going and as you can see I've had to super crop the blue cheese a fair bit to try to maintain a semi even canopy. I think I'll end up needing to stick the aurora on a brick or something to raise her - poor girl is getting overgrown by her sisters.

CW from back left - aurora indica, c99, original amnesia, blue cheese

Also, check this weird mutation on the c99

It has a flat stem as well. Bizarre

I'm here to watch the alien plants......

:passitleft:

Aloha Jock
Can you give a summary on the seedling/vegetative stages? Curious to know the wattages and time with CFL/LED before you flipped. I come from the old school way - Fluorescent for seedlings, MH for veg and HPS for flower. Been away from it for a good stretch and now that I am rotating back in, I see LED's are becoming mainstream. From what I have read, those seem to be under-performing overall for the average grower, but most folks are very impressed with LED for veg. So I am leaning toward doing what you have going on here, CFL for seedling, LED for veg and HPS for flower (or CMH for both). I even have C99 on my hit list. Anyway, I am along for the ride. Pomaika'i!

I'm here to watch the alien plants......

:passitleft:

You and me both dude :ganjamon: I love staring at her after a spliff, she's a wonderful thing to get lost looking at. In fact the rest of the plant looks a bit like a bamboo jungle, I'll try to get some individual photos tomorrow to show what I mean

Oh and I read up on the mutation - it's a polyploid which means that (hopefully) it should put out a monster bud :rollit:
I actually had a grapefruit from female seeds before that had a massive head bud - we called it the hand grenade :ganjamon: I don't remember it being poly but it could indicate that that was a genetic trait she carried over.

Ganja gu brah :ganjamon:

Aloha Jock
Can you give a summary on the seedling/vegetative stages? Curious to know the wattages and time with CFL/LED before you flipped. I come from the old school way - Fluorescent for seedlings, MH for veg and HPS for flower. Been away from it for a good stretch and now that I am rotating back in, I see LED's are becoming mainstream. From what I have read, those seem to be under-performing overall for the average grower, but most folks are very impressed with LED for veg. So I am leaning toward doing what you have going on here, CFL for seedling, LED for veg and HPS for flower (or CMH for both). I even have C99 on my hit list. Anyway, I am along for the ride. Pomaika'i!

Well sadly I can't do times for you because I don't keep track. It's not scientific but I find otherwise I start clock watching too much :yummy: I'll try to give as much detail as I can though.

I started then out under a 125w blue CFL and a viparspectra 225w UFO led. For the first few weeks I kept these ones under the CFL reflector so they only got a small amount of led at first as that was mainly focused on an auto that was finishing in the tent.
After that they got the full force of led with the CFL hanging vert to supplement for another few weeks.

In terms of efficiency I'd say they're pretty on par with the CFLs. I've not tried to start seeds under the LEDs yet so that's the next test - I am somewhat concerned about that as I've found with LEDs some plants can get overloaded and burn.

The other issue is height. The distance you have to keep them from the plants varies by A. manufacturer and B. plant. I've had plants sit 2 feet away and crisp up and had others bumping the glass with no ill effects. It makes it very hard to get an even canopy that works for all the plants if you run mixed strain or pheno grows.
It is worth noting though, that I've only had burn once they go into flower - and this seems an almost universal experience. I've yet to see anyone else getting light burn in veg and I haven't had it myself so that shouldn't be an issue whilst vegging.

I will more than likely use the UFO as my main veg light from now on, even if I have to start seedlings under the hps on 12-12 until they're strong enough to handle it.
The biggest advantage of them (from my perspective) is lack of wastage. When a big CFL gets old or blows all we can do is chuck it and buy a new one - LEDs last forever (or at least for much longer than CFLs) so there's far less wastage. It's even possible to do repairs on them if you have a soldering iron and half an idea of what you're doing as all the parts are freely available. I've had LEDs go on my other marshydro panel and just taken them out and soldered new ones in so theoretically, if I can get them dialed in in a veg space, I should be good to go for years to come.

I hope that's of some help, sorry I'm not more specific :passitleft:

If I were you though, I'd stick with fluro for now if you want to put a grow on ASAP and read up on what the best panels are that are out right now and what others are succeeding with in veg and or flower. The technology has come a long way, even from when I bought my lights a few years back so it's worth seeing what improvements have been made. Just be aware that they need more height than any other light, bar maybe the higher power hps lights, so if you only have a small amount of headroom it may be better to stick with what you know.

Hope that helps :ganjamon:

Ganja gu brah

Time for a few photos at the end of week 2. Group shot

And now some individual ones that show how they've been topped and (minimally) trained. I should've really put more effort into lst with them, particularly the c99 which is like a fucking bamboo forest now.
They've also been defoliated quite a bit just before this shot. I'm trying to get as much light to the budsites as possible - I guess we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Ganja gu brah :ganjamon:

That C99 is going through an intense stretch! Yeah, defoliation will help those lower bud sites. Hopefully those lights have some serious penetration.

Here's a shot of her through the branches :ganjamon:

And one of the full gang

Update time for the end of week 3. Things seem to be going well, plenty of budsites appearing so I've defoliated extensively to get more light to them.

One bad point is that a top on the blue cheese burned. It was a good distance from the light but in the corner with low air flow. Ah well, it's supercropped now and has the fan blowing on it so I hope it'll recover. Here's some photos

The To Do list is (way too) long, but I am starting with:

Cindy 99, Durban Poison, Super Lemon Haze, GSC and Blueberry.

I got a freebie of White Widow, so that will get chucked in there too. Went with more than one breeder of the same strain for most of them, since I don't really know whose stuff is reliable yet. Also used three different seed banks. Knowing which breeders to choose and what seed bank to buy from is a bigger unknown than growing!

The To Do list is (way too) long, but I am starting with:

Cindy 99, Durban Poison, Super Lemon Haze, GSC and Blueberry.

I got a freebie of White Widow, so that will get chucked in there too. Went with more than one breeder of the same strain for most of them, since I don't really know whose stuff is reliable yet. Also used three different seed banks. Knowing which breeders to choose and what seed bank to buy from is a bigger unknown than growing!

I hear you on the choice thing. Luckily I've managed to narrow my tastes down over the years so I've got an idea of what strains and breeders I want to use.

Who did you end up going for for each of them?

Cinderella 99 - Brothers Grimm (Cindy XX) and Female Seeds (added that thanks to seeing yours)
Durban Poison - Dutch Passion and Nirvana (Urban Poison)
Super Lemon Haze - Green House
GSC - Original Sensible and BC Bud Depot
Blueberry - Seedsman and 00 Seeds

The White Widow was a freebie and did not catch the name of the breeder. Hopefully it's labeled when I get it!

Back
Top Bottom