Buds Buddy Does DWC: Critical 2.0 For The 1st Time

High Everyone ? Well you should be !!! It's more fun that way.
Anyway, I'm fixing to start a New Journal. My last grow is down to the harvest so time to get rolling on the next one.
So here's what will be happening. I have a little 3' x 4' x 6' Propagation tent. For those who don't know what this is ....
it's a tent that has a divider in it. 3' x 3' area is for keeping a Mother plant (which I don't have yet so using it for an Auto Flower Grow). The other section is 1' x 3' & has a shelf in it. That part is for starting clones & seeds. I'll post pics tomorrow of it.
I'll be starting 3 seeds of Critical 2.0 in Root Riot Plugs. I'm only planning on doing 2 plants but starting 3 seeds just in case.
I'll just be using a 2' - 2 Bulb T-5 for Germinating. I also have a Heat Mat if needed.
Can't remember the Breeder as I've had these seeds a good 2 years. They are Auto Flowers so they will run at 18/6 the entire grow.
These 2 plants will be done DWC (with help I hope). My first attempt at DWC. I bought 4 - 5 gallon Black Buckets at the Hydro Store (2 for growing & 2 for Bucket changes). I bought 2 - 6", 2 - 8" & 2 - 10" net pot lids but I'll be using the 6" this grow. I'm just using Single Valve Aquarium Air Pumps from Walmart that are good for 5 - 15 gallon aquariums. 1 pump per bucket. I have a 6" x 1" Air Stone for each. Net pots are filled with Hydrotron Grow Rocks.
I'll be using Mega Crop throughout this grow & I'll have Cal Mag & pH down on hand. Ordered Hydro Guard but wont be here till the end of the week.
Anyways, this is how this journal starts. But within 2 - 3 weeks at most I'll be starting 3 Photo Period Plants in my new grow room. We'll get more into that as things progress. But these 3 plants will be done in XL Auto Pots & this will also be used for the 1st time. Should get interesting ... or at least I hope so.
I'll get pics up tomorrow & Tag in anyone I can think of. Any knowledgeable DWC & Auto Pot Growers are Double Dawg Welcome !!! I can surely use your wisdom along the way.
If you would like to be tagged please comment below & I'll do this in the morning when I post pics & start the grow.
L@@K forward to seeing you there. "PARTY ON"
Giddyup!

Hey Buds, if you have a way to check the actual temperature of your plugs, I would.

I used a heat mat one year and didn’t check temps and cooked a whole batch of seed lol
Do you think a regular digital thermometer would work if I stuck the end in it? Not sure how to test that since I don't heat a temp gun anymore.
What should the temp be ?

honestly my first DWC grow has been going great. Did you mention what nutes you are using?
I would just set a weekly reminder in your phone to dedicate a day of the week to res changes.
One thing I will warn you about is how fast you use nutes compared to soil. unless you grow coco, I wasn't ready for all the nutes I needed. make sure you stock up on even more ph down tho, cuz I ran out and had to use some pool ph down that's very powerful and it wasn't instant. my tap water here is 7.3-7.6 so it takes a bit to get it down to 5.7-6.0
also make sure you check you towns public work documents, and check to see if there's chlorine in your water. if there is, you should let water sit out for 24 hrs to evaporate before you use it for res changes. plants don't like chlorine
also, when in doubt, res-change! so much easier than a flush in soil or coco! just remix nutes and try again!:passitleft:
finally, always check your res ph the day after a res change because at least for me, ph shoots back up after the res change and I have to re-ph it. a lot of people don't check their ph on here, especially if they use AN ph perfect, but it's good to check all buckets once a day. you never know when your plant can be sitting in 7.00 ph water. :eek:
with my buckets in FF nutes, I almost have to re-ph them once a day with up to 3ml of ph down. that adds up quick!
Thanks for the Tips. I'll be using Mega Crop. I have 1.5 qt.s of pH down on hand. My water pH is about the same as yours. Not sure if my water has chlorine or not. But I always let my water sit for 1 - 2 days before using it just in case.
You say you use a lot more nutes. Do you have to refill your buckets during the week or do you just do bucket changes weekly ? I might be able to make a rough calculation of how much MC I'll need & order more.

it should be warm to the touch, nothing more. If you think its too hot, you can insulate it a bit by placing a towel over it then put the seeds on that. I use gro-blocks and a seedling dome to sprout my DWC babies and they love my mat, no towel.
congrats on journal OTM! :passitleft:
Thanks. Debating on trying out that Nextlight Mega. It's just so big though. It's like 3' x 3' & does a 7' x 7' Veg & 5' x 5' Flower. Beautiful light .... Just Huge. Haven't received the other prizes as of yet.
I might just buy another Mars Hydro TSW 2000 for my grow shed instead as I think the Mega would be overkill.

How did you know I drive a Mustang ? ... LOL. And we're off !!! Welcome LilFuzz.
one time I was going to have a decal made to poke fun at the word racists but my wife said NO because she thought someone would damage my vehicle over it. She was probably right.
The decal was going to say "Hell Yeah I'm a Racist ... Ya Wanna Race ?" Meaning it as a Race Car type joke of course. I'm not a racist ... I just love to race. Seems most my opponents get scared & slow down around 100 mph. I've had my car to 135 in a race before.

Do you think a regular digital thermometer would work if I stuck the end in it? Not sure how to test that since I don't heat a temp gun anymore.
Hey mate, put a glass of water on the mat and leave it a couple hours and then measure it’s temperature. It will be the temperature of your seed plugs. 68-72F is a good range...high 70s and higher are likely to cook your seed

How did you know I drive a Mustang ? ... LOL. And we're off !!! Welcome LilFuzz.
one time I was going to have a decal made to poke fun at the word racists but my wife said NO because she thought someone would damage my vehicle over it. She was probably right.
The decal was going to say "Hell Yeah I'm a Racist ... Ya Wanna Race ?" Meaning it as a Race Car type joke of course. I'm not a racist ... I just love to race. Seems most my opponents get scared & slow down around 100 mph. I've had my car to 135 in a race before.
I’ll take you on lol max I’ve gone in my newest car is 143 :headbanger:.... now it’s in the shop:rofl: ...I had to test it though... ill only do that on the track though, I’ve had friends die in street races.. have fun but be careful my friend!

Welcome along Rexer, Canadadoes & Big D13. Can't wait till they sprout so we can get to the buckets. Dying to see the difference in DWC from soil.
Your off to a great start, the dynamics might change, but shes still the same plant. The only bit of advice that I'll put out there is this: consider adding some H2O2 to your list, food grade preferably( EDIT: DONT take that advice when using MC, sorry I wasn't aware when I posted). I toss some in every reservoir change, I'm not doing an organic grow, and it goes a long way towards helping keep this sterile...and the plants love the extra O2 as it breaks down.
It's not a must have (unless you develop root rot or other issues), but a nice to have on hand.

I’ll take you on lol max I’ve gone in my newest car is 143 :headbanger:.... now it’s in the shop:rofl: ...I had to test it though... ill only do that on the track though, I’ve had friends die in street races.. have fun but be careful my friend!

Motörhead here as well but always been trucks, would love to get my hands on a 68 Merc to restore.

And I get you about “needing” to try it out. I bought a ‘05 F350 Lariat FX4 diesel in ‘08. My first diesel and wanted to know what it would do, she was governed at 100mph, didn’t stumble, just couldn’t get any more out of her without chipping it lol

I'm only pushing 435 HP but I haven't lost to a Charger, Challenger (except the Hell Cat), Chrysler 300 or Camaro yet. The Hellcat of course beat me with 707 HP but raced it anyway to see how close it would be. He got me by about 1/4th of a block in a 4 block race. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I also had a bad ass Acura give me a hell of a run. 4 wheel drive gives them a hell of a jump on you but you still take him in the long run. So what you drive ?

Your off to a great start, the dynamics might change, but shes still the same plant. The only bit of advice that I'll put out there is this: consider adding some H2O2 to your list, food grade preferably. I toss some in every reservoir change, I'm not doing an organic grow, and it goes a long way towards helping keep this sterile...and the plants love the extra O2 as it breaks down.
It's not a must have (unless you develop root rot or other issues), but a nice to have on hand.
I have about 4 qt.s of 3% sitting here as I used it when I flushed during soil grows. I have a bottle of the other kind around here somewhere.

Motörhead here as well but always been trucks, would love to get my hands on a 68 Merc to restore.

And I get you about “needing” to try it out. I bought a ‘05 F350 Lariat FX4 diesel in ‘08. My first diesel and wanted to know what it would do, she was governed at 100mph, didn’t stumble, just couldn’t get any more out of her without chipping it lol
I'd love a RAPTOR !!!

most mats should shoot for 80 F anything higher can roast them, right @The Celt ?
Thanks for the Tips. I'll be using Mega Crop. I have 1.5 qt.s of pH down on hand. My water pH is about the same as yours. Not sure if my water has chlorine or not. But I always let my water sit for 1 - 2 days before using it just in case.
You say you use a lot more nutes. Do you have to refill your buckets during the week or do you just do bucket changes weekly ? I might be able to make a rough calculation of how much MC I'll need & order more.
my 5 gallon DWC ladies are in late veg and they drink almost a quart of water a day!

But usually, during the week I top it off with water then I re-ph. Then I check the PPM. if it's still within the range suggested by the schedule, I'm good. If the plants used some nutes, maybe I'll add 5-10 ml of whatever base nute I'm using. but then I always change res on Fridays. mainly, the nutes add up later in the grow because you keep ramping them up. I didn't take that into account with just 2 buckets and 2 totes
PS. I love cars too. but look what just happened to my baby Silver. I hit a deer. :(

most mats should shoot for 80 F anything higher can roast them, right @The Celt ?

my 5 gallon DWC ladies are in late veg and they drink almost a quart of water a day!

But usually, during the week I top it off with water then I re-ph. Then I check the PPM. if it's still within the range suggested by the schedule, I'm good. If the plants used some nutes, maybe I'll add 5-10 ml of whatever base nute I'm using. but then I always change res on Fridays. mainly, the nutes add up later in the grow because you keep ramping them up. I didn't take that into account with just 2 buckets and 2 totes
PS. I love cars too. but look what just happened to my baby Silver. I hit a deer. :(

Glad you are OK. Sorry about the car.

Back
Top Bottom