Buds Buddy's 1st Grow Journal

Uh Oh .... Houston, We have a problem.
During my morning feeding today I happened to notice my roots are piercing right through my cloth grow bags. Mostly around the bottom edges of the bags. Well I know they're well rooted that's for sure. But what the hell do I do about this? Never had this happen before & I've used grow bags on every grow. They are Auto's in 5 gallon bags.
Any suggestions ???

might help to put the bags up on something so there is air space underneath to help with aeration and drainage . cloth bags sitting in the run off water isn't always the best.

So it's nothing to worry about ? At the moment I'm kind of in a bit of a panic over it. I remember back on the old site we were on, Irydium telling me the roots aren't suppose to get any light (I was growing in a clear tote back then).
Kind of in shock over this (me... not the plants). Used bags the last 3-4 grows & never had this happen. I was growing in soil on the other grows though & this is Coco.
Can't believe the roots have grown that much already. On the bright side I guess that's a good thing.

roots popping thru the bags isn't that big of a problem. it will make them a pain to clean and re-use more than anything.

might help to put the bags up on something so there is air space underneath to help with aeration and drainage . cloth bags sitting in the run off water isn't always the best.
They don't sit in the run off very long. I empty everything every time I feed. I'm sure there is extra moisture in the bottom of the bags though. Some of those wire racks for closet shelving would be nice right now.

roots popping thru the bags isn't that big of a problem. it will make them a pain to clean and re-use more than anything.
This is my last grow in bags. I'll have my 6 pot Auto-Pot system ready for my next grow. Already bought 1/2 the stuff for it. So the grow bags will be trashed after this anyway.

it's good to have air space under the bags. leaving them on a flat surface encourages what you are seeing and may contribute to root rot and other problems.

i got a bunch of old oven racks from a recycler for $5. works good if you have one near and cheaper than the store.

This is critical. The bags may not sit in the run off or you stand a good chance of getting root rot. Here's an image of the caged grow bags I use:

full

Roots Growing Out of the Caged Grow Bags

I have a piece of egg crate light diffuser under the cages. The bottom of the cage is actually an inch up the sides. This keeps the bottom of the grow bags out of the run off.

This is critical. The bags may not sit in the run off or you stand a good chance of getting root rot. Here's an image of the caged grow bags I use:

full

Roots Growing Out of the Caged Grow Bags

I have a piece of egg crate light diffuser under the cages. The bottom of the cage is actually an inch up the sides. This keeps the bottom of the grow bags out of the run off.

that is one nice clean set up you have old salt

that is one nice clean set up you have old salt

Thanks. I made the bags out of heavy duty landscape cloth. They bulged out so they all wouldn't fit in the trays, so I made the cages for them. Watering became a bit of a pain as the plants grew, so I added the clip-on tops with a drip ring. Those tops also seemed to be a great place to tie the branches for training.

Do you think the wire closet shelving would be strong enough to hold 3 plants in 5 gallon pots ? I found 2 - 4' x 16" sections for free on Craigslist I can pick up tomorrow. Lady that has them has an appointment & I have to go to work so tomorrow it is.
Well, now I know just how much my humidifier does. Forgot to turn it back on after re-filling it this morning & tent was closed up for about 4 hours. Temps went up to 88 F with 27% RH .... ughh ! Turned it on & back down to 81 F so far with 37% RH. That thing makes a big difference. Now I'm convinced I need a 2nd one to get the environment back to almost perfect.
Anyway, working on both right now so should have that done no later than the weekend.

Do you think the wire closet shelving would be strong enough to hold 3 plants in 5 gallon pots ? I found 2 - 4' x 16" sections for free on Craigslist I can pick up tomorrow. Lady that has them has an appointment & I have to go to work so tomorrow it is.
Well, now I know just how much my humidifier does. Forgot to turn it back on after re-filling it this morning & tent was closed up for about 4 hours. Temps went up to 88 F with 27% RH .... ughh ! Turned it on & back down to 81 F so far with 37% RH. That thing makes a big difference. Now I'm convinced I need a 2nd one to get the environment back to almost perfect.
Anyway, working on both right now so should have that done no later than the weekend.

a lot of people use the wire shelving. go snag it ! :)

It's Day 24 & the only thing I really did today was Feed each plant 24 oz. of Nutes twice at 12 hour intervals. I'm on my way to work when the lights go off & At work when they come on. So they get fed 3 hours after lights on & 3 hours before lights out. Best I can do. Today I broke a branch on my N.L. tying it down too far. It was one of the top ones so that sucks. It's barely attached & leaves on it wilted over (just on the branch). I doubt it will heal itself but I'll leave it for now & see. Sure didn't want to slow down growth on that one since it already takes life & a day to finish.
On the brighter side of things, my AK 47 is sure looking good. The others all look good too. I just really like the way the AK looks.
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Til then I'm hitting the joint & then the sack.

Sounds like good things are happening over there man, ill update my log later today but really hasn't had much change.. my plants are definitely smaller then your day 7's and that's from when you planted not out of ground.

Idk what's going on I planted 6 more beans in Solo cups like 4 days ago and those have caught up in size to my 4 autos in the 5 gal pots.

I'll be giving my week 1 nutes today so hopefully with some food they take off!

Only thing I can concur is that the 4 in 5 gals are focussing more on root production and the smaller cups dont have to work as hard for root structure before shooting up.

Sounds like good things are happening over there man, ill update my log later today but really hasn't had much change.. my plants are definitely smaller then your day 7's and that's from when you planted not out of ground.

Idk what's going on I planted 6 more beans in Solo cups like 4 days ago and those have caught up in size to my 4 autos in the 5 gal pots.

I'll be giving my week 1 nutes today so hopefully with some food they take off!

Only thing I can concur is that the 4 in 5 gals are focussing more on root production and the smaller cups dont have to work as hard for root structure before shooting up.
Well I know your Temps & Humidity are in an OK range. Out of curiosity, what kind of water are you using & at what pH?
Have you checked your waters ppm? I use Tap water. I let it sit in gallon jugs for a day or 2 with the lids off before I pH it.
They say it gases off some of the chlorine. Then I pH to 5.8 (if I were just using water). But I used nutes from day 1 so I add the additives, then Cal Mag, then Base Nutes, then pH to 5.8. I use Advanced Nutrients which is suppose to be pH perfect. I guess it is as it comes out at 6.0 every time but I still lower it to 5.8. Maybe you'll notice something different in what I'm doing & what your doing now that you know exactly what I'm doing.

Well I know your Temps & Humidity are in an OK range. Out of curiosity, what kind of water are you using & at what pH?
Have you checked your waters ppm? I use Tap water. I let it sit in gallon jugs for a day or 2 with the lids off before I pH it.
They say it gases off some of the chlorine. Then I pH to 5.8 (if I were just using water). But I used nutes from day 1 so I add the additives, then Cal Mag, then Base Nutes, then pH to 5.8. I use Advanced Nutrients which is suppose to be pH perfect. I guess it is as it comes out at 6.0 every time but I still lower it to 5.8. Maybe you'll notice something different in what I'm doing & what your doing now that you know exactly what I'm doing.
I'm using distilled water, room temp, ph to 5.6-6.0. ppm Less then 150 and ec less then 100 with cal mag and some root booster and water just plain pH water in-between. I've done tons of research before I even started brother and went through hundreds of grow logs.
Only thing I can think of is I may of under saturated my pots from the start. I've never got run off so far.

Back
Top Bottom