Bud's First - Indoor - Soil - Bag Seed - Grow 2016

I checked on my girls today, and I need some advice. #5 is looking almost dead I did nothing but water her since my last post. #1 is getting some curly leaves. That may just be transplant shock? The other three I transplanted seem to love their new homes.

#1 Curly leaves
GOPR0058.JPG

GOPR0059.JPG

GOPR0060.JPG

GOPR0061.JPG

#5 looking almost dead
GOPR0062.JPG

GOPR0063.JPG

What do you guys think? Can I save her?

#1 is a little further from the lights than in the last pic and it was pretty good then. #5 is significantly further. I'll move the light up a bit. It's close to a foot now, should a T5 need to be that far?

I've had some slight canoeing/tacoing before and when I raised the light it went away. That was with the light at 6" and moving it 8-9. But this curling over of the ends is new to me.

I've had a fan moving air over the plants between them and the lights for over a week now. Still only minimal flow in and out of the room, but would plants this small need much circulation? I figure if a tray of clones needs to have the dome lifted a few times per day, a room this size should be OK with limited ventilation. I'll get some real ventilation in a few days.

I moved the light up to about 18" right after I posted last night. #1 and #5 are looking just like they did last night. The last time I had some heat stress, the plants looked better just a few hours after raising the lights. I'm thinking it's something else.

I've read that pH can do it too, I wouldn't think that of six plants starting out the same and being watered the same, two would develop a problem. I have to leave right now, I'll see what my crappy pH meter says when I get home. I'm still in need of a suggestion for a good one. I did get some pH +/- that came with some color changing pH test solution. I've always had a hard time reading colors like that, the color is never the same as on the chart. Between the two, maybe I can get close.

There was a third thing that can cause it that I don't remember. My teachers always told me to take better notes, maybe they were right.

How does the newer growth look? Does it look healthy? 18inches is way too high for T5s I would drop them back down. What's the temp? Did your soil dry out too much? Is there a fresh source of air coming in or is it just getting pushed around with a fan? They all look like they will recover other then #5.

They are roughly 1 month old?

1-4,6 are one month to the day. #6 spent about a week and a half of that being "dead"... off to the side of the light, wilted, stretched to where it couldn't support itself and touching the dirt, shaded by a plate I was using as a drip tray. #5 is about a week and a half.

I was gonna say, if the leaves start to curl, kinda like a canoe then it is usually a sign of heat stress

They're not really canoeing, the tips of the leaves on #1 and #5 are curled up... like an elf's shoe.

How does the newer growth look? Does it look healthy? 18inches is way too high for T5s I would drop them back down. What's the temp? Did your soil dry out too much? Is there a fresh source of air coming in or is it just getting pushed around with a fan? They all look like they will recover other then #5.

The newer growth looks great on #1. It's just the tips of the middle part of each first true leaf that looks bad. On #5, that's pretty much the only leaf. The round ones fell off and the first single one is yellowed. Temp is no more than 75°F. There is fresh air being pulled in from an air conditioned room at 72°. I can feel cooler air coming out of the door, so there is definitely some circulation. It's also just two plants, which makes me think it's probably not an air or water/nute issue. But hey, I have ablsolutely no idea what it is, so I'm not going to say what it's not. The soil is nice and moist at this time, I watered about three days before I transplanted at which point a couple were starting to wilt, but they perked right up after watering. I got a bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest that was nice and moist that I transplanted them into. #5 is looking a little worse than this morning, #1 is about the same.

Actually, #1 and #2 were not watered before transplanting, they hadn't started drooping and were in a 5 gallon bucket. I figured they had plenty of water in there. I did probably cut quite a few roots digging them out.

So which ones where transplanted, and when?

#1-4 were transplanted on Thursday(?) of last week. 1,2 were from a shared 5 gallon bucket, 3,4 were from 10 oz plastic cups. #6 was transplanted from a 5 gallon bucket to a 10 oz cup on 5/27. #5 has spent its entire life in that cup.

I just watered them so I could check the pH of the runoff. I think I've found part of the problem, at least with #5. I don't know enough about pH to be sure of the others. I played around with calibrating my meter and comparing it to the color changing solution for a couple hours today. I'm still not 100% sure of its accuracy, but it's probably somewhat close. The water was adjusted to a pH of 5.70 because I assumed the soil pH would be high because my tap water comes out at 8 or so, although it varies. I watered all the plants and measured the pH of the runoff:

#1 5.45
#2 5.40
#3 5.40
#4 5.35
#5 6.40
#6 5.65

I flushed #5 a little bit, I assumed the soil pH is probably significantly higher, and the runoff is at the high end of where I want the soil to be.

5 is at the high end but not to cause any problems. But different strains different ways. Whats the mixtures ph before feeding plant. Than whats run off of same water.

THE GREEN RACER.

For soil PH in the 5s is to low, you want to be around 6.2-6.7

I had read 5.5-6.5 somewhere else, and I was shooting for 6.0 because of that. I figured my soil was probably way high since I measured my tap water between 8-8.5, hence the lower pH water. Is there a general rule of how the soil pH correlates to the runoff pH? Obviously my soil is WAY too low, except # 5 which is probably high, given the difference between water and runoff. I'm just curious how far off. I guess I'll water 1-4,6 with 6.7 water and #5 with something lower until the pH seems good. I still need to find a good, yet inexpensive meter. Any suggestions?

Plants looked better this morning. There was a *little* bit of new growth on #5, the damage that was there is still there, but with damage like that, it's pretty much permanent, right? #1 also grew. Pretty sure it was a nute lockout issue.

The growth appears to have sped up on all plants except for poor #5, but she's growing a bit more every day. At this rate, she'll be ready to flower in about 2 years. #3 and #4 are getting bushy, but neither of my previous FIMing attempts seem to have worked. #3 was too high and just resulted in some blunt tipped leaves. #4 apparently did nothing... I thought I had cut too low and topped it, but it regrew the main growth point. I tried topping #3 again yesterday, we'll see if it does anything. I just got done watering #3 and #6 with water of 6.5 pH; #3's runoff was 5.6 and #6 was 5.8. #3 is by far the largest, and #6 is still in a 10 oz cup. The rest will probably need a drink by tomorrow or the next day.... but #5 might still be good for a couple weeks :)

I have a second light identical to the one I have now, at what point is adding it beneficial? I have a feeling the plants would probably grow faster with a second one, but at the same time it seems like I'd be wasting power since all the plants fit entirely beneath the one light.

How's your grow coming along?

It's doing well, all the plants started growing better after we got the pH issue solved. I've been watering with 6.5 pH water per your suggestion, it made a huge difference. Even #5 is growing, I watered her on the 19th, 10 days between waterings. So she's slow, but I hope she'll pick up the pace. I believe I've also fed all of them with 1/2 strength Fox Farms, but I may not have fed #5. I've got the notes at home.

#1,2 are both over a foot tall but pretty skinny. I'm thinking about taking some clones from them and then putting them in 12/12 within the next few days. I'm torn between letting them get bigger and having something to smoke sooner. I'll also top #3,4 and try to root the cuttings. Probably have 5 toppings on each... Maybe 9 but that seems like a lot of tops. I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do with that. I was sitting looking at them with clippers in my hand for about an hour this morning. I'll probably do the same thing tonight and maybe again tomorrow morning :)

OK, an update, a real update, with pictures and everything! Even got some new equipment!

A few days ago I took two clones from both #1&2. I cut them at 45°, scraped the sides a bit, and dipped them in some Clonex rooting gel. So far all four are staying green and looking alive, so I'm hoping I did it right. As soon as one of them roots, I'll put that (hopefully) mother plant in flower. They're probably on the small side, but it's been quite a while since I've had my medication.
20160627_234343.jpg

I up potted #1-4 into three gallon Smart Pots.
20160627_234352.jpg
20160627_234414.jpg

#5,6 got put into 1 gallon pots
20160627_234422.jpg

And here's a picture of the whole setup
20160627_234434.jpg

That purple glow on the right is my new 1000w equivalent LED light, a BossLED II. My second T5 fixture came without hanging hardware, so I figured I'd put it up there while I wait on the post office. I've also got a dozen hanging light sockets I haven't put up yet, I'm going to supplement the T5s with some 23w 2700k CFLs.

I need to move down to my basement, my temps have hit 92° a few times, it's always in the high 80s. But that will take more work than I have time for at the moment. I figure I should be able to right about winter time.

Back
Top Bottom