budstep's 12/12 FS PC Stealth Grow with CFL's

budstep

Let me introduce myself: Im Budstep and Im from Latvia - the most uneducated country in europe about cannabis where people think that even industrial hemp is deadly addictive.
I decided to grow my own smoke in a stealth PC Grow Box. Dimensions for my case are L 38cm x H 35cm x W 17cm. At the moment it is powered with one 23w CFL 2700K, one intake PC fan and one exhaust PC fan, walls painted white for reflection. Once Ruthless (I named my plant in honor of my wife hehe) grows I will add another 23w CFL and another exhaust fan and when she starts to show flowering I will switch to a bit more powerfull bulbs.
For soil I'm using 6 PH'd Peat Moss and composted medium that is ment for medicinal herbs (that's what it say on the bag).
I ordered my seeds from Feemaleseeds.nl a pack of Indoor mix that includes 4 random feminised seeds and one free Blue Cheese seed. I germinated the darkest one from the mix for 2 days in a glass of water and 1 day in paper towels
Heres my progress so far:
- Started germinating on 27th of December
- Planted seed one knuckle deep on 30th of December and watered the medium before planting with PH'd water
- Seed sprouted above the soil on 1st of January (I guess she popped out to see the New Years fireworks)
Temp in the box goes from 27 - 28 celsius when the lights are on and arround 22 - 23 when ligts are off, have no idea about humidity.
So here are 2 photos:
My Ninja Stealthed PC Box
IMG_20140102_104920.jpg

and 1 day old baby Ruthless in a Solo Cup for now
IMG_20140101_220953.jpg

If anyone have any questions or suggestions, pease go for it.

Nothing much has happened since yesterday. Got home from work checked up on my Ruthless, checked up on the soil still moist.
I have a question about odor control, is Gonzo bags good for getting rid of odor? cuz carbon filter and ona gel are not stealthy enough for me, is there any other option ?

Update
On 3rd of January nothing much happened, just checked up on her if the soil is still moist, was greate, but still looking very small and innocent.
However on January 4th today the were noticeable changes - little one got bigger fan leaves and all pointing up. I heard somewhere on this forum that it means that she is happy and feeling good.
Plus today is 6th day since my 1st and last watering and still surprised that the soil under the top layer is still pretty moist, should I be conserned about it? Or it is normal ?
Heres a picture, maybe later will add a photo with the inside of my grow box.
IMG_20140104_202120.jpg

Heya, Budstep :ciao:

Welcome to :420: and journaling!

Your little one is looking good. As far as the soil still being wet, do you have holes in the bottom of the cup? Cannabis likes to get pretty dry between waterings and good drainage is extremely important. You'll always want holes in your containers for water to drain. You can also add perlite or vermiculite to increase drainage. For soil still being moist after six days I'd recommend adding holes and/or perlite.

I don't have any experience with Gonzo bags. Maybe someone else will drop in who knows about them.

I'll be following along with your journal.

Happy growing! :high-five:

Hey Dresney, thank you for dropping by.
Yes, I do have few holes at the bottom for drainage but few hours after after I made that post I checked the soil again and it felt alot dryer so I estimate by tonight it will be ready for watering again and for good measure I will add few more holes at the sides of the cup.
Last night also added 2nd PC Fan to push the hot air out but there are no changes in temperature (I discovered she likes it arround 22 -24 Celsius and I think I will have to come up with propper light trap instead of black cloth in front of the pc fans (yes call me stupid). I found out that the air pushing out is so minimal and most of the air just bounces back in the box.
My light cycle goes 8:30pm lights on 8:30am lights off.

As predicted today soil was very dry and little one was looking sad so I watered after adding few more holes for drainage. Also constructed a light trap durring the day and temp is now steady 25 celsius.
Don't have the option to add picture now but the baby starts to show second set of fan leaves. Will add picture tomorrow maybe.

Picture time as promised:
1 minute after watering
1604672_686595891380204_1546565801_n.jpg

And few hours after watering
photo_php.jpg

I think the difference is quite noticable, she just looks so happy and strong now

Thank you man, means a lot when experienced grower sais I did something right :D
I fixed my camera on my phone so from now on the picture quality will be better. And in few days I will visit local Depo and try to make a propper light trap for box, this atm just isnt good enough when it comes to temp controll.

Not yet. I hope that when I get to the Depo I will walk arround browse and then come up with the idea of how I want to make it. Though I will browse internet today for some ideas. Do you have any ideas for compact light trap for a PC box I could mount on the outside?

New plan, I will buy carbon foam from a local pet store and put it in fron of my to exhaust pc fans. From what I have read it doesn't restrict the air flow and is a good with heat transfering plus it will work also as a ''light trap''. Sounds like a plan. Will also maybe add 2 more fans for exhaust on top of my 2 existing ones. will see how it works.

Getting creative; I like it :;):

I used loose carbon to make filters in my 6" inch ducting. It seems to be working well enough so far.

For my light traps I used the same 6" flexible ducting and just left a few feet extra on the outside and curved and twisted it several times. I'm not sure, but maybe there is something comparable on a smaller scale? I will try to think of what is 2-3" in diameter and still very flexible.

Let us know how your carbon foam works out!

I sure will give my thoughts on how the carbon works, will hit the shop in few days. Atm just too busy at home with my son.
And some rep to you Dresney for following my grow, will add some pics of my progress tomorrow.

Pictures
Day 6 after sprout
Day67.jpg

Day 7 after sprout
day76.jpg

Today going to shop and buy some perlite, let the soil to dry out and then repot in the new medium and new final home. Maybe will even add one small fan to blow the air on her to increase the stem strenght.

After last nights check up I noticed 3rd set of fan leaves forming so tonight or tomorrow will decide if Im going to FIM or top her. At 1st I was all about topping but after reading few opinions I'm thinking more about FIM'ing. But I need to do abit more reading for now.

Ok. So I FIMed my lady today, I rly hope I did it right and not too early. Here are some pics:

Day 9 before FIM
day96.jpg

Day 9 after FIM
day9_fim.jpg

Here is the FIM itself
fimed_off.jpg

Also after FIMing I inspected my lady and found these things forming arround the place where node starts, have no idea what that is. Anyone have any idea ?
wtf17.jpg

And any comment, good or bad, about my FIM is welcome. what could I have done better or what I did wrong etc.

Im planning to transplant her to bigger pot tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom