Build or Buy?

For me dude, it was buy it. Icannot do those things well. I also have other factors, I have a job that keeps me occupied 3 days of the week.I have a butter knife and a heel as my tools. I have put together different E&F but mostly just puttin it together. Thus far the things I have bought, the things I altered, the furniture moving around & all was to me the biggest chore. But the ones who build umm, I admire them,... that is alot more work but I guess if you can do it, it would be a personal accomplishment.

I've done a combo. I used old displays and scrap parts from my local shop. And built most everything else. The system (ebb and flow) is very simple. I maintained a slope of 4/1 for my trays to make sure drainage worked. (1 inch down for every 4 feet of travel) standing water means algae...

a fountain pump a tray and some hose are really all you need. flow and waste kits are available from the local hydro shop for like 10 bucks. (fill and drain towers with bungs) or you can fake it with some pvc or something form HD.

Plastic storage containers work great as trays, and rese's. (note: Buy a uni bit or something like it for drilling larger holes in plastic without tearing it up)

You can buy (ata high rate) some of your time back by getting a kit. But if you build it you can do cool things life putting your over flow on the side of the tray instead of as a freaking tower comming up from the bottom and taking up space....

Good luck

Well you made me definitely want to build it now. I never thought about putting the overflow on the side, that is an excellent idea. Thanks a lot +rep. How many gpm fountain pump should i get if my tray is 3x2(i think don't remember the measurements off hand) For the fill/drain overflow I'll have to see how much it will cost to make one, and figure out if it would be cheaper than buying, even though they are only $10, I'd have to drive like 60 miles to the closest hydro shop, and i only get 12mpg in my Durango, lol. It'll will prob be cheaper to make lol But hey thanks again.

i've bee happy with 3 gpm. but you could use a $20 fountain pump availble in the garden section of HD to get about the same results. remember 1/2" for fill and 3/4" for over flow. 1/2" and 3/4" grommets are available in the electrical isle near wire connections and zip ties (get zip ties usefull things to have around... think cord management)

Then all you need is barbed in couplings (plastic is cheaper but sometimes hard to find at the depot) brass is always available in plumbing and is fine as it is non reactive, and some hose.

flat container for tray deep (recomend the black 15 gal) containe for rez. Also darker plastics tend to have a better uv resistance, and when ever possible use black hose. Don;t want algae in the hose either.

Hey thanks for the info. I have real dark blue rubbermaid totes, I know i have 18 and 20 some gallon ones( my wife went nuts a few years ago and kept buying more and more of them everytime she went to walmart to store things in the attic in, but i guess they are paying off now). And for the tray i have the under the bed totes, i think they are like 3'x2'x7"(I'm only going to grow up to 5 plants at a time, just enough for me and my wife), do you think that would be deep enough for a tray or should i use one of my bigger ones?

I received a home made light thing made from a computer side (heavy heavy aluminum) with 2 spaces for the giant (or whatever) Cfls. Helped me greatly on my first time. Improvising is grand aint it? just remember safety and laws of physics like gravity and as you said leaks and all. I always test my stuff outside just in case of a leak.(easier to clean with the hose,) that would be bad if wonderful organic nutrient water went everywhere!
yikes

Back
Top Bottom