Build Your Own LED Grow Light

Also to take everything into account Samsung strips are better than all of these options, and are also a lot cheaper!! That's my next lighting option.

I was just about to chime in with something like this, I spent months last year checking out various data sheets for cob's, but then I saw the light - I'm also looking at the Samsung strips, especially good for small grow cabs with not much headroom. The drivers will cost more than the led strips I need.

Same with me. Although I was originally thinking of a 5x5 setup, but having put time in my new space now, I'm thinking different. From what I understand, the strips come in 44 " +22" lengths, so I'm thinking 2 of them, one 44"×24" and one 22"× 24". Wonder what a setup like that would cost? Same drivers, correct?

Tests show otherwise. I think you need to do more research. Veros and citizen are good options, they can be better at higher driven currents, but nobody really drives their cobs above 2100 mah where the veros start to win. At lower operating amperage the Cree cxb take the lead. At 1400mah the Cree outperforms the vero. Not saying the veros are bad chips, and the citizens are good as well, but every bit of research I did before building my light says crees are better.

The chart that you are referring too has to be extremely old considering they are quoting a db bin cxb3590 when that's not even top bin .. Good luck running your veros above 2100mah++ to outperform Crees though. They won't last long and will be making a ton of heat.

Well, looking at the chart I uploaded and the one you find in the thread I linked to, it shows that ie. CLU058-1825 is more efficient, but I don't see the need to pursue this discussion, let's just agree to disagree ;)

When running the best available COB's under 37,5w the difference in PPFD/w between them is in the 0,5 range which, even if you're right about the CXB3590, makes it better to get more COB's from another brand for the same money.

You're right DB isn't top bin, that would be EB, but they're not sold anywhere as far as I know, in between the two bins are the DD which is available for $55 a piece :laughtwo:

What bin are the ones you're using?

Running COB's hard makes no sense, and even 1,4 amps is too high for my liking, 0,7 or 1,05 will be more efficient, but of course require more COB's.

Also to take everything into account Samsung strips are better than all of these options, and are also a lot cheaper!! That's my next lighting option.

I was just about to chime in with something like this, I spent months last year checking out various data sheets for cob's, but then I saw the light - I'm also looking at the Samsung strips, especially good for small grow cabs with not much headroom. The drivers will cost more than the led strips I need.

You're certainly right about that, kinda why I went that route + they're a lot easier to build with ;)

I am either going to get more boards or do the strip lighting option myself. Seems a small investment for killer lighting. Cheaper than the cobs and more even coverage no?

Same with me. Although I was originally thinking of a 5x5 setup, but having put time in my new space now, I'm thinking different. From what I understand, the strips come in 44 " +22" lengths, so I'm thinking 2 of them, one 44"×24" and one 22"× 24". Wonder what a setup like that would cost? Same drivers, correct?

What do you mean about lenghts?

What driver(s) you need depends on´what type, and how many boards you run in a given series/parallel.

Copied this from a post in another thread, would work well in 5x5 as well but getting 9 boards would be killer in that space.

Building a QB lamp for 4x4 yourself:

6x QB 288: 6 x 75 = $450 - HLG
6x heatsink: 6 x 14,49 = $86,94 - HLG
3x Meanwell HLG240H-C2100A drivers: 3 x 70 = $210 - Mouser
(boards will be dimmable in groups of 2 this way, you could get 2x drivers for 3 boards, can't remember which is fitting but can easily find out, would lower the cost a bit, so would getting heatsinks for more than one board)
Wires, power cord, connectors, nuts, bolts etc. = $20 - electricity/hardware store/online shop

Total = $767, lets say a little shipping fees and extras like hangers are added and you're looking at an even $800 for a powerhouse of light with adjustable output and 6 points of light that can each be hanging at different heights
All you need for assembly is a small phillips head screwdriver and a pair of scissors.

Ryder 509 has a journal going about the Samsung FB24B lighting strips you guys should check it out
Rider and I have spoken on PM about the strips. He's given me a lot of food for thought over the last few months. He certainly is another amazing source for lighting choices. His advice to me, since I likely wouldn't be building til summer was to wait til summer to price it all out, after all something with better penetration and lower consumption might be around the corner.

I just like the discusdion, the educational part of it. The why's lol....

Rider and I have spoken on PM about the strips. He's given me a lot of food for thought over the last few months. He certainly is another amazing source for lighting choices. His advice to me, since I likely wouldn't be building til summer was to wait til summer to price it all out, after all something with better penetration and lower consumption might be around the corner.

I just like the discusdion, the educational part of it. The why's lol....

Let's get it out in the open so the rest of us can join in ;)

Well, yeah if you're not building now waiting for prices to drop or new tech to come out makes sense, no need to buy parts you don't need the next 6 months ;)
But this of course only goes if you're holding off on a build for other reasons, getting what's top of the line today will be good for years to come and odds are that new tech will only be slightly better/cheaper.

Let's get it out in the open so the rest of us can join in ;)

Well, yeah if you're not building now waiting for prices to drop or new tech to come out makes sense, no need to buy parts you don't need the next 6 months ;)
But this of course only goes if you're holding off on a build for other reasons, getting what's top of the line today will be good for years to come and odds are that new tech will only be slightly better/cheaper.
Totally... and I will admit that after building my entire Gro space custom for me, funds are a little short. No way I can invest another thousand bucks into two custom lights for my space without getting the hairy eyeball!

Well, looking at the chart I uploaded and the one you find in the thread I linked to, it shows that ie. CLU058-1825 is more efficient, but I don't see the need to pursue this discussion, let's just agree to disagree ;)

When running the best available COB's under 37,5w the difference in PPFD/w between them is in the 0,5 range which, even if you're right about the CXB3590, makes it better to get more COB's from another brand for the same money.

You're right DB isn't top bin, that would be EB, but they're not sold anywhere as far as I know, in between the two bins are the DD which is available for $55 a piece :laughtwo:

What bin are the ones you're using?

Running COB's hard makes no sense, and even 1,4 amps is too high for my liking, 0,7 or 1,05 will be more efficient, but of course require more COB's.

You're certainly right about that, kinda why I went that route + they're a lot easier to build with ;)

I'm currently using "CD" bin 3590s.I don't see where you pay $55 for a Cree cxb3590. I only paid $32 a chip for my 3590s... if you need help sourcing things let me know. I'm into my 12 cob Cree cxb fixture for $850 with rapid led rails. If I went vero I wouldn't saved a total of $78 or something stupid. For a fixture that was going to be growing weed for me for 10 years that $80 extra was a no brainer even if it was a small percentag. Mine are driven at 1400mah also!

I'm currently using "CD" bin 3590s.I don't see where you pay $55 for a Cree cxb3590. I only paid $32 a chip for my 3590s... if you need help sourcing things let me know. I'm into my 12 cob Cree cxb fixture for $850 with rapid led rails. If I went vero I wouldn't saved a total of $78 or something stupid. For a fixture that was going to be growing weed for me for 10 years that $80 extra was a no brainer even if it was a small percentag. Mine are driven at 1400mah also!

If you want second to top bin CXB3590's you have to pay that kinda money, don't think the top bin is commercially available yet.
FYI CD is the bin just under DB, page 14 -> https://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/ds-CXB3590.pdf

CMX22 gen 3 at $19 per COB is a hell of a deal, especially if you're in the US, in EU we have to pay tax, import charges and international shipping...

:passitleft:

OK, got final plan.

Grow BoxBuild.

Veg/Bloom-Dry

2-Luminus cxm22 (90cri)4000K
2-Luminus cxm22 (90cri)3500K
2-HLG-185H-54A
4-Heatsinkfan
1-CarbonFilter
2-intake fans
3-Sonoff wifi timers
Wood-Screws-Brackets-Paint- weatherstripping-fancy vents

$500

High PGR!
Thank you for this thread.
:high-five:
This site needs more threads like this to encourage DIY.:bravo:

I own Cree cxb's run @ 1400ma. I also run Quantum qb288 boards @2100ma.
I like the combination of both because QB's seem weaker in the corners of my tent.

With my cobs being run at 50w per cob, corner coverage is more than satisfactory.

IMG_20180127_170707.jpg
IMG_20180128_174803.jpg

With that being said, I have to disagree with your use of the term "obsolete" when describing Cree CXB3590's.
Quite the contrary, they are a bargain for what they do.
IMG_20180127_163158.jpg

Again, I am only speaking from my personal circumstances and results. ;)
In this case I'm expecting about 45 or 50 ozs with about 1300w consumed from the wall.

Ok.....you guys have my attention!!! I gotta get going on either adding 1000Whps to my room or something like you guys are running.......INSANE!

My next build is as follows

9 x SI-B8VZ91B20WW - 103w Samsung Strips
5294771ee5e857f571f5724e79782636.jpg
- $409

3 x HLG-320H-48B (320w drivers) - $261

9 x EXTRUDED ARCHITECTURAL ALUMINUM BARE CHANNEL 6063 T52 48" - $80

Thermal Tape - $17

Total cost for 927w - $756

- $409

Thermal Tape - $17

Nice set up a brother, pretty jealous of that! I have a question for you guys, I have an L-shaped space that is approximately 5 foot 6 by 5 foot 6 on the floor and I want to think about lighting it more permanently. I'm thinking about one meanwell hlg 600 - 54 as my driver, followed by to Quantum boards in the beginning and then eventually upgrade to four quantum boards I'm thinking. I'm pretty sure one driver will drive all four for the future, what is the difference between 10 and 12 pin?

600H are expensive. You find a deal on them? I have a cheap find if your getting one..

i was going to run 4 Luminus cxm 22 on it, but Im going to use a 340H-c1400B instead.

changed my plan. Converting my Striplight build into a cob build for a 2x2.

Using Zigbee wifi controller. Then will be running my lights intermittent high/low cycle 6 times a day. Seems the plants enjoy some cool-off time from the lights by reducing intensity several times thru the day. Im seeing a great response. with this controller, I can reduce, or induce wattage as many times a day as i wish.

going to be pretty awesome,,

- $409

Thermal Tape - $17

Nice one mate, keep us posted ;) All of our near future builds should be up that alley :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom