Built a nice "u" or 'v" shaped SCROG screen for 16$

Hey everyone.

I am new to growing as well as fairly new to this site. I just entered my 4th week of veg, a week was lost with some ph issues and light burn but I just today built a pretty decent SCROG screen for under 20$. I don't want to re-type everything but if you want to see the details and pictures, click on my 1st grow link below my post and go to page 3. I took photos to show how it was constructed and if you would like the size measurements I can supply them as well.

I decided to post the details for everyone. This should fit any 2x4 Hydrohut (actual measurements are 28"x58"x78"). I posted this in another topic but to save you hours of scrolling thru trying to find it, here it is for you...

Time to build...about an hour and a half for actual construction.
Shopping for the right materials, a good 3 hours, 4 different hardware stores for the screen. I ended up buying 32' of 1x2" boards 8' long, had them cut at 5'...
I was left with (4) 5' boards and (4) 3' boards, perfect for cutting to what I needed to fit the 28"x58" tent. I constructed it by having the 4 legs, nailing a board longways inbetween the boards at 23" high and the smaller cross boards higher up at the top of the leg boards. Legs were 36", used the smaller originally cut pieces. The side cross boards were cut to be 24", remembering that there will be extra added on with the leg width nailed on each side, and still room to clear the 28" tent. I build the standing frame, was probably pretty interesting to watch being that I did this alone in my kitchen without sawhorses or any clamps to assist in building this...I was using counters, couches, chairs with books...lol...anyways...after I had the standing frame...I measured out my angle supports and cut them to size. I wanted the diagonal surface to be short and have a quick incline because I didnt want to take up too much flat growing room on my screen, as well as I was running low on wood...lol. My diagonal supports measured 15" long x 4 of them which used up the remaining amounts of wood I had. I drew out what looked to be about the right angle for cutting them, drew a line and went to town with my saw..Attached these with some nails and I was ready for my screen. NOTE: when doing this yourself, I found out half way thru, it helps to pre drill the nail holes...makes it soooo much easier. The screen came 26" x 8' so the width was perfect...I ripped all the cardboard off the screen and stapled the top of one side down to my cross bar using heavy duty staples. I unrolled the screen and stapled down the other side. Using tin snips/wire cutters I cut all the remaining screen off, trying to cut as close to the welds as possible so there was nothing to injure me, my tent or my plants. I then stapled the sides down, and the angled supports and done...all this in less than 2 hrs.
DSC016691.JPG

DSC016701.JPG

DSC01672.JPG

DSC016741.JPG

DSC01682.JPG

DSC01675.JPG

DSC016792.JPG

Nice layout and work.

Prairie

Thanks Prairie!! I figured the V-shape would give me more surface area to grow and bring the edges of the tent up towards the light to increase the intensity.

Feel free to follow my grow journal...coming up to the flowering stage within the next week!!

Here is an update of the SCROG progress thru the last 3 weeks...now I am on Day 9 of flower...
Tent and SCROG overview
DSC017914.JPG

My University Hill's OG's
DSC017923.JPG

My Blue Dragon's
DSC017931.JPG

My Chembands...
DSC017943.JPG

Feel free to visit my grow journal and you can see the photo progress throughout the entire grow....I encourage you to leave your comments and please rate my thread!!! Thanks and happy growing!!

Looking good bro, keep it up! :nicethread:

Hey Icemud, I spend the night trying to find that screen that you found. Give me another hint as to what this is used for. So far I can't find anything like it in two home improvement stores. If need by, I'll use the 1" chicken wire, but yours seems spaced perfectly. +reps

Hey Dutch....I think its called concrete drywall wire and it comes with a cardboard/paper backing on it...see photo above. I found it at home depot in the lumber yard, by all of there chicken wires. They had rolls of 2" chicken wire but the price was 50$ for a big roll so I sheet of the concrete drywall wire worked and was 8$.... It does not come in roll's it is layed out flat like a piece of plywood would be, I just had it rolled for transport.

Hey Dutch....I think its called concrete drywall wire and it comes with a cardboard/paper backing on it...see photo above. I found it at home depot in the lumber yard, by all of there chicken wires. They had rolls of 2" chicken wire but the price was 50$ for a big roll so I sheet of the concrete drywall wire worked and was 8$.... It does not come in roll's it is layed out flat like a piece of plywood would be, I just had it rolled for transport.

Thanks Icemud. I walked HD three times, so perhaps it is specific to your region? Anyway, I found a smaller roll (10') at Lowes that worked for me. See the results in my sig.

Was there a reason for the concave frame? Looking at this It seems in order for the light spread the lights must be angled out, therefore further from the plant's? Just a theory, if the screen was a bit convex with a mild "^" to it, both lights facing inn still, seems that you would then be allowing light to span the canopy and receive more penetration from the crossing? This is just a thought, your design has me thinking now..

Was there a reason for the concave frame? Looking at this It seems in order for the light spread the lights must be angled out, therefore further from the plant's? Just a theory, if the screen was a bit convex with a mild "^" to it, both lights facing inn still, seems that you would then be allowing light to span the canopy and receive more penetration from the crossing? This is just a thought, your design has me thinking now..

Hey FuzzyGrn, sorry about the delay on getting back to you, hope its not too late... When I was coming up with how to make the screen I thought about different ways and this seemed to make the most sense... I thought about the concave design that you were talking about and even thought about adding it to my tent, however, with a v shape in the middle, even though it would bring more intense lighting to the middle by raising it, it would also shade out the "valleys" of the ^ shape because of my dual lighting setup and I wanted the most optimum dual spectrum spread that I could achieve...

So I figured by bringing the sides up in a V shape, I was doing 2 things...

1. I was increasing the surface area of my screen slightly by bringing the sides up, not a huge difference but none the less a larger area to grow, which for me means more meds :)

2. If you were to imagine hanging a 18" string from the corner of each of my lights and swinging it 180 degrees, it would make a round U shape, similar to my V-Scrog screen...this is the distance for my lights that is ideal from my lights so by bringing the sides up, I am increasing the intensity of not only the light directly above that corresponding side, I am also brining it closer to the light on the opposite side, therefor also increasing the intensity...

With the sides being elevated, to get the true scrog effect to take place, a lot of Pre-screen LST is definitely a plus to assist in as many verticle budsites/branching's as you can fill in... The slightly verticle sides are a challenge because gravotropism and phototropism come into play and since the branching is not being bent completely horizontal, the true scrog effect is not as easily obtainable...at least this is what I have so far found out through my setup as well as research... :)

By the way...I'm on grow #2 and I just flipped to flower a few days ago...same V-Scrog setup!! and so far, more tops than before!!

Thanks for the compliments! The screen is fixed..but can be dis-assembled by just removing 2 boards and the screen..

Thanks for doing this. It was very helpful to me. I am curious, in your experience now after doing a v scrog, would u recommend a regular horizontal scrog or is a v scrog the way to go?
+ reps

Back
Top Bottom