Bullitt's Rookie Season Outdoor Nukehead 2017

This is just my opinion, but for me usually, by the time I spot and identify the problem in a organic grow and treat it. By then the plants already suffered a little, if not allot.
I agree. That is definitely something that makes it more difficult.
I made soil for a couple grows, It was just a little off. It made flower a bitch lol

I've seen some pure organic gardeners destroy though.
I feel organic has the potential to be the best, but it's difficult getting to Shangri la.
That's why I do a mix of both haha

Date: 27 August 2017
Strain: Nukehead
Type: Hybrid
Stage: VEG Day 38
Style: Outdoor
Media: ⅔ Ocean Forest ⅓ Coco
Current Pot: 5 gal fabric pot
Nutrients: Read below

Hey 420 readers. This is a Good News / Maybe Bad News? update. The photos below were taken on 8/26/17 which is Day 38. If you’ve been following this journal, then you know the recent minor problem. I transplanted this girl prior to leaving on a vacation. The compost I transplanted into unfortunately was a little hot & I experienced some nute burn (Maybe, read on). Nute burn is easily remedied however. After finally coming to this diagnosis, I flushed the plant with 1 gallon of rain water mixed with 32 oz. of hydrogen peroxide added. The flush occurred on 8/23.

There is a library of information as to the benefits of using H2O2 in your soil. If you are unfamiliar just google it. As expected, this plant responded very well to the flush and the extra oxygen brought into the rhizosphere from the H2O2. There is one downside to flushing with peroxide. Because it is an unstable compound, the extra oxy molecule breaks off and attaches itself to many other important mineral nutrients in the soil. Many of those nutes in turn are also washed out of your soil and need to be replaced.

On 8/26, after these pictures were taken, the plant was fed a gallon of tea spiked with raw, from a mature green coconut, coconut water. The tea brings a fresh load of microbiology. Raw, organic coconut water replaces a truckload of all those ‘top-secret’ grow formulas. The best part for me is I can walk a block in either direction from my house & find a mature green coconut on the ground. 16 oz. of coconut water gets mixed into 5 gallons of tea. Here’s the rub however, you must use it immediately.

Don’t claim you don’t have access to coconut water OR raw coconuts. You can buy a can of organic coconut water at wally world for $2. I have family that lives in the great white north of Canada, and they can find whole green coconuts in their organic stores for around $8 a piece. The coconut brings potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, selenium, B-vitamins and a massive dose of cytokinins all of which are 100% bio-available to the plant.

The combination of fresh microbiology, plus the minerals, B vitamins, and the cytokinins will cause your plants to grow faster, more vigorously, produce more bud sites and shorter internodal distances. Additionally, the cytokinins signal the plant to divide cells in the roots and grow new shoots, all of which makes for the explosive growth that we are all seeking. You’ll see this in next week’s photos.

Let’s move on to the ‘Maybe’ Bad News. There’s a distinct possibility this plant has been infected by Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Yeah, I know, Ahhhh F#₵k! If you don’t have experience with TMV, I hope you never will. There is no cure. I’ve had tomato plants decimated by TMV a couple seasons ago. Unfortunately, TMV is found everywhere. Its only called by the tobacco name because it was 1st diagnosed on tobacco plants in 1886. TMV effects all plants found in the Solanaceae family which includes cannabis.

This plant is not showing all the typical symptoms however. It is showing the weird leaf curl that you can see in one of the pics I took and the tip damage. It is lacking the all to well-known yellow mosaic pattern on the leaves and the crinkle to the leaves. I am sincerely hoping the curl is genetic, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ll know for sure within 10 days or so. If it is TMV that will effectively end this grow which would be ashamed.

It would be ashamed because all of us won’t get to see this plant finish, and because I love learning new genetics. I love learning how, new to me, plants react and how they communicate. I will tell you these genetics are strong. Trust me when I say I can tell this plant is itching to explode into flower. I’m fairly confident it won’t disappoint us if we get there. Stay Tuned.

Comments and questions are appreciated! Thank you for any input. – See you next week.

cindi8_26_1.jpg

cindi8_26_2.jpg

cindi8_26_3.jpg

CINDI8_26_4.jpg

I hope it isn't what you think it is. I have no experience with it so I am no help. She looks relatively healthy otherwise. Looks like something's been nibbling on her.

No argument, your right, I don't know what I'm talking about have a great day sir a good luck with the grow OP if you took what I said as a argument I'm sorry. But that wasn't the point, the point was that it's impossible to get the plant everything it needs, when it needs it, like I said I wish him luck with it.
Stillalive If you want to evangelize about organics vs synthetics take it to your own thread and leave bullit alone. It's his first grow and he's doing great!!!

These plants here below were all grown by myself organically. Yeah they are all scrawny man. Just embarrassing right? My organic system failed miserably. I'm here to watch a new strain grow and it doesn't seem like you are adding anything constructive. The forum is a big enough place you can go on your anti organic rant and leave this journal to what it is intended for brother. Peace and happiness to you and understand that #ourorganicgrowsarenotthesame
420-magazine-mobile144579072.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1416443202.jpg
420-magazine-mobile220645413.jpg

420-magazine-mobile628694085.jpg
420-magazine-mobile107584380.jpg

Sorry for the disruption Bullitt. Grow on brother. I'll be here watching you do your thing.

Doesn't look like mosaic to me. I think you are good to go so far. That is super minor curvature to that leaf. Of course keep an eye open but I have seen that leaf shape on many aplant that didn't have TMV

And then brown spots that are interveinal are typical of a pH swing. pH swings can mimic a lot of deficiencies. But it looks like it has resolved itself for the most part so I think you are probably good there too.

Oh my, such an awful looking organic plant. Not a trichome in sight...

For real though, that's beautiful shigg! There is usually a mutual respect amongst members and while your initial intention seems to me like you're just trying to help, you can't force it on someone. Offer your advice by all means, but please be respectful to other members in their own journals .

I can't see anywhere where I am being disrespectful to Bullitt, I think all the words for him are encouraging and well meant.

All the other words are for stillalive and just trying to make him stop being a troll.

So I hear ya grouchy but I think if you thought I wasn't being nice to Bullitt it is quite the contrary. I am encouraging a new grower to be happy with his first outdoor adventure without others trying to bring him down. I think he's doing great!

It's the respect I have for Bullitt and his own journal that got me to speak up for him. He's got a lot of organic knowledge too! Sometimes transferring that knowledge to cannabis can be an effort in the beginning. But he is well on the way to success.

Date: 1 September 2017
Stage: VEG Day 43
Media: ⅔ Ocean Forest ⅓ Coco
Current Pot: 5 gal fabric pot
Nutrients: Organic grow

Hey 420 readers. Thanks for the ‘good mojo vibes’ they are greatly appreciated. This is a Good News / Good News update. The photos below were taken on 8/31/17 which is Day 43. If you’ve been following this journal you know some of the hiccups that have occurred in the early part of this grow. Hopefully we are putting those in the rear-view mirror. I have a relationship with a head grower of a commercial producer in Colorado, we’ll call him Jim. I spoke to Jim regarding the tobacco mosaic virus issue. He also agreed that the pictures are showing signs, but it is very inconclusive at this point.

The 1st bit of good news. “IF” we do have TMV, it is not a death sentence for cannabis. According to Jim, it will reduce the yield between 20 to 30% but it will not decimate the crop like it does for other Solanaceae family plants. He also added that the condition looking like TMV could just as easily be due to the funk I caused with hot compost or the funkiness of these genetics, or a combination of all these things. At any rate, it’s Onward & Upwards we go with this grow!

The 2nd bit of good news. The plant has responded better than I even expected to the flush & spiked tea I gave her thereafter. I believe you can see the basic evidence from the pics. ON 8/29, I topped the 4 main branches of this plant, and also trimmed up some of the undergrowth. When you gauge the current pictures please realize there is approximately 1 ½ inches of top missing from the plant. I have noticed the very 1st signs of pre-flower. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to get the camera to focus that close, but this is a welcome sight as the grower.

I think she’s lookin’ sweet. Note also, those fan leaves have certainly slimmed out from the typical indica leaf style. She’s showing us her hybridishness. (My invented word) I like it!

“IF” we have TMV, it will become clear in the new growth with mosaic and leaf hook, per Jim. Next week this plant will be moving to her final destination in a 15 gal fabric pot. I will be scribing out my soil formulation for all of you so you can come to an understanding of where the plant will be deriving her nutrients for what should be the remainder of the grow.

Comments and questions are appreciated! Thank you for any input. – I’ve got a biz trip here so hit me up with ?'s if you have them. It'll give me something to do during my downtime. I’ll see you late next week.

Love ~ Light ~ Peace All

CIN8_31_1.jpg

CIN8_31_2.jpg

CIN8_31_3.jpg

CIN8_31_4.jpg

Hey - Growchyz - I will start updating more often since we are getting into flower. I currently am away on a biz trip so sorry you'll have to wait on some new pics. I know its been raining back at the ranch which means nute washout to me. I'll be back tomorrow & I'll be preparing for a F#@*ing hurricane - hopefully it misses like hurricane Matthew did. I've got a great update coming though. Home grown Mychorrhizae, organic soil mix, transplant. I'm looking forward to the work & the post.

Thanks a TON for your interest in my thread.

Date: 8 September 2017
Stage: VEG Day 51
Media: BULLITS SOIL MIX
Current Pot: 5 Gal fabric to 15 gal fabric pot
Nutrients: Organic grow

Happy Hurricane 420 readers. Send me some more of that “Good Mojo” so Irma the Hurricane stays away from Rancho de Bullitt. This post is going to cover a lot of ground so let’s get to it. On Sept 8th, I transplanted into a 15 gal fabric pot and applied some LST techniques. This will be this plants final home. In doing so, I mixed 10 + or - gallons of my primary gardening mix for this transplant. I’m going to lay out my soil mix & the WHY’s of what I put into it.

The base of my garden soil is the compost I build myself. This batch is well aged. I have been saving about 6 gals for this transplant. It is composed of Ash, Alder, Red Oak, Mahogany, and Cherry hardwood sawdust that I get from a local mill shop. White Oak, Live Oak and Magnolia leaves. Mucho spent Coffee grounds some grass clippings and amendments kelp meal, alfalfa meal, baked then powdered banana peels, shrimp shells and egg shells, langbeinite, greensand, rock phosphate, leonardite, and basalt all in very small amounts. This mix produces a beautiful dark brown rich humus that smells like The Sherwood Forest and is loaded with nutrients. This compost comprises 50% of my mix.

Worm castings I produce myself, make up the next 20% of the mix. There is something crazy special about what happens in the digestive tract of an earth worm. Worm poop is proven to contain more nutrients coming out than the food consumed by the worms to begin with. How does that phreakin work? Worm castings are the most effective compost available. In fact, comparative research done at Cornell revealed that worm manure was around twenty times more potent than composted cow manure. Part of this enhanced performance is linked to the inoculum contained in the stuff. The microorganisms incubated in the worm’s tummy are unique to worms and they offer an invaluable contribution to any soil. Worm castings are the Cadillac of compost.

Mixed into these base composts I blend cleaned coco coir. Many cannabis growers use coco but do they know why? Coco holds up to 10 times its weight in water. It releases nutrients over an extended period of time, it significantly reduces the chances of root diseases, creates excellent air space which provides for excellent drainage and root development. Lastly coco carries a neutral to slightly acidic pH which cannabis simply loves. Coco makes up 15% of the mix.

Volcanic Pumice makes up 10% of the mix. The porous nature of pumice provides a home for soil microbiology, it allows it to hold vital nutrients in the microscopic surface pores, which helps regulate plant feedings. It increases aeration and drainage, increases water retention which in turn reduces crusting, cracking, and soil shrink because pumice will not compact or become soggy. It also holds its place within the soil structure unlike perlite which often floats to the surface. Pumice also carries a neutral pH.

The remaining 5% of my mix is comprised of amendments and rock dusts. Here we go.

CINDI_d51_T.jpg

Kelp meal brings a multitude of nutrients plus it contains growth hormones auxins, gibberellins, and cytokinins which are readily taken up by plants and put directly to use. Kelp stimulates soil bacteria while increasing soil structure, aeration, and moisture retention. Kelp fosters more extensive root systems, and provides a greater resistance to pests.

Langbeinite contains three essential nutrients; potassium, magnesium and sulphur. It is water soluble but the release of the minerals occurs slowly.

Greensand is actually rock that is mined from the ocean floor and ground into sand. Greensand contains potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus plus as many as 30 other trace minerals. It can absorb 10 times more moisture than sand which makes it an exceptional soil conditioner.

Leonardite brings humic and fluvic acid. This acts as a chelator in soil. Chelators hold mineral ions to prevent them from reacting in your soil and keeps them available to your plants.

Neem Cake brings high amount of plant-based N-P-K. Neem has also been to shown to contain a generous number of micronutrients and trace elements to address any plant nutrient deficiencies. The best part is that it provides it all in a slow-release form. Additionally, Neem cake contains a limonoid known as Azadirachtin. Azadirachtin is absorbed by the plant and becomes systemic throughout the plant. It serves as an anti-feedant, pest repellent, insecticide, nematicide and pest growth disruptor. Miraculously however, it does not inhibit any of the ‘good guys’ in soil microbiology. I could write a book about the benefits of mixing in Neem Cake. If you want to learn more go to Google Scholar.

Home grown Mycorrhizae. It’s so easy to grow - which is why I included the pics. Two pounds of worm castings mixed with a small amount of existing mycorrhizae from my the garden, topped with a sprinkle of ½ cup of powdered malted barley and spray with filtered water. Put a towel over it & put it in a very warm place, like the garage right now.
MYCO_1.jpg

Mycorrhizae is ridiculously beneficial. It provides up to 1,000 times better absorption of nutrients needed for plant growth and health, it’s non-toxic, biodegradable, and provides a “secondary root system” that supplies extra water and nutrients. It increases plant establishment and improves absorption of nutrients in both acid or alkaline soils. It increases water uptake and holding capacity which improves drought tolerance and decreases drought stress. It improves resistance to insect pressure. Healthy plants have long been known to survive attacks with greater ease when mycorrhizae is dominant in the rhizosphere. It improves resistance to soil pathogens. Friendly Fungi (Trichoderma) naturally out-compete soil-borne fungal diseases and friendly Fungi trap harmful nematodes. It eliminates or reduces the need for chemical fertilizers which saves money. It eliminates dangerous pesticides, improves survival rates in pots and planters, improves transplanting rates and decreases transplant shock. It increases productivity and yield at harvest. It produces healthier, safer flowers due to improved mineral uptake. It improves soil structure and reduces soil compaction by increasing friability, aggregation, flocculation and porosity.

Ground 2 row Malted Barley provides amylase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease and urease. These are all enzymes. Enzymes are the vital activators in life processes. In soil, they are known to play a substantial role in maintaining soil health. Enzymatic activity in soil is mainly of microbial origin, being derived from intracellular, cell-associated or free enzymes. A unique balance enzyme activities and components contribute to maintaining soil health.

Rocks Dusts

Let’s start with my favorite, Basalt. It is comprised of 53% silica, it provides an excellent source of macro and micro nutrients, it increases the moisture holding properties of soil, it greatly enhances cation exchange capacity, and it improves soil structure and drainage. That data alone is fantastic! Note however, these points are accurate of most of the rock dusts I use. It’s the Paramagnetic activity that separates Basalt.

Dr. Phil Callahan identified paramagnetism as the reason that volcanic soils always outperform non-volcanic soils. Basalt is almost always present in volcanic soils. Basalt attracts, stores and converts atmospheric energy known as Extra Long Frequency (ELF) radio waves created from lightning into tiny light particles called photons. Photons released from Basalt effectively deliver a light source to the roots and the living rhizosphere. In his book, Paramagnetism: Rediscovering Nature's Secret Force of Growth, Dr. Callahan cites an experiment he conducted with German Professor Dr. Fritz Popp, who is a leading researcher in light energy. They tested Basalt from Oregon for its paramagnetic conductivity. To their amazement, their sample had a reading of 4000 photon units released per minute over the test period. This demonstrated that Basalt alone was steadily releasing photon particles.

Additional testing, that involved a combination of the same Basalt worked into compost, revealed an increase in the photon reading by 100X to 400,000 units! Further lab testing shows paramagnetic stimulation can triple the activity of beneficial microbes. This lab testing provides clear evidence that there is a proven synergy between soil and paramagnetic Basalt. You will tremendously increase the overall efficacy of your soil with the simple addition of Basalt. If I had only one dust to pick, its Basalt.

Glacial rock dust is made from a wide variety of rocks which contain a broad spectrum of trace minerals that are collected and pulverized by, You guessed it, Glaciers. What is special to note about glacial dust is that it increases the availability of phosphorus to your plants.

Limestone. There are two types of limestone, Ag or garden Lime and Gypsum. So, what’s the difference? It’s the chemical structure. Ag lime is composed of the remains of ancient sea life that incorporated calcium into their shells and in many cases are surprisingly pure in calcium content, (96% CaCO3). It also contains a small but measurable amount, about 0.5% of magnesium. Gypsum is a sedimentary stone that is also the result of ancient sea life. The difference is this sea life thrived in sulfuric water conditions. Gypsum contains 22% Ca and 17% Sulphur which is an important factor in brix levels and flavor profiles.

Rock Phosphate No brainer, Right? It’s the P in N P K. It provides steady release of phosphorus and calcium containing 16% and 20% respectively along with 1% Iron and 0.1% Zinc. It encourages flower production, facilitates mobility of other nutrients within plant, and stimulates root growth.

Olivine is another type of volcanic rock. Like Basalt, it is mafic, meaning that the dust is high in magnesium and iron. The difference however, unlike basalt, which is 2-3% magnesium, olivine will have upwards of 50% magnesium. I use this sparingly and for the sole purpose of adding magnesium to my soil. The magnesium, along with the other trace elements releases slowly and does not easily leach away from Olivine which means it stays available to your soil microbiology throughout your grow.

Azomite was formed when volcanic ash merged with sea water millions of years ago. This mixture of volcanic ash and sea water created a unique source of 70+ trace minerals and elements. Azomite has been proven to enhance pest and disease resistance in plants, improve root systems, increase plant vigor, and best of all increase yields.

Now, if you read this whole post, does anyone still think its “impossible” to provide the plant with the nutes it needs when it needs it? So, you think I’m going to crush it at harvest time or what? I already know, with my mix, I am guaranteed to improved plant structure, increased resistance to pests and disease, and above all, produce more flowers with increased intense terpene profiles and resin production.

At the end of the line I’ll have purely organic meds and I will not have added to the coffers of the industrial poison complex. Win – Win I say. From here on until harvest I’ll be feeding water and bloom centric teas. That’s it. Mother Nature’s bacteria, fungi, nematodes, protozoa, arthropods and earthworms. will do all the heavy lifting.

Enjoy the rest of my poor photography. Comments and questions are appreciated! Thank you for any input and for following this journal.

Love ~ Light ~ Peace All

CINDI_d51_111.jpg

CINDI_d51_221.jpg

CINDI_d51_3.jpg

CINDI_d51_4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom