Burmese Kush - CFL - First Time

BUKU Day 62

This is all the small plant.

It is getting some brown edges and does not absorb watering as quickly as the others (size and stature)

I knew I was not allowing enough run-off when watering, I knew I was watering the shorty with the others for convenience, and I knew I was forcing more nutes on the plants because I wanted bigger buds.

Moral of the story: More nutes does not equal more fruits!

Here is the leaf browning. I wanted to flush the plant today, took it out to the shower and everything, but decided it was still really wet. Needs time to dry out.

Short plant has 5% brown leaf tips. Medium has a few browns. The tall has none. Which surprises me because it has the weakest flower development.

DSCN36691.JPG

Anyway, it is currently a minor problem. Glad I caught it. I guess if I am watering once every 4 days, I use nutes one time, and not the next? I'll give that a try.

The leaves look like they may have turned a little light green, but my eyes are having difficulty telling the real color of the plant. Too many insects to take it outside... The top down pic that looks yellow must be off, too. I didn't see any yellow. Ya have yer lights, cameras, and the actual plant all giving their light tweaks.

DSCN36702.JPG
DSCN36652.JPG
DSCN36661.JPG

I took a couple bud shots in their natural shade of green and white.

DSCN36712.JPG
DSCN3668.JPG
DSCN36671.JPG

BUKU Day 64

Flowers present for 25 days

Removed all 3 plants. Felt like an act at a cheap circus with those buds wobbling all around...

Watered each 5 gal pot with 5 gal water. I heard 15 gal, but I felt that was a bit extreme.

Then watered with 3 gal of nuted water and a little superthrive.

Now I hope to seal up the tent and check on it again on Thursday.

Except... now I have all 6 clones in the flower tent. Like unwanted stepchildren...

And they will need water Tuesday morning at the latest.

Soooo, I started 2 new seeds to go in the small tent. 1 HSO Blue Dream and 1 Barneys Lemon Amnesia Haze.

I plan to grow them for 6 weeks in the side tent, clone both of them, and then move both the mothers and clones in the big tent to start some other new varieties...

My current Kush should be done in 4 - 6 weeks.

DSCN36742.JPG
DSCN36772.JPG
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN36811.JPG
DSCN3676_2_.JPG
DSCN36801.JPG
DSCN3673_2_.JPG
DSCN36751.JPG
DSCN36793.JPG

BUKU Day 66

A couple buds are getting some bright orange hairs

Or at least that is what it looks like in the tent

I tried using a 30x and 100x scope. Found them both very difficult to still on a leaf and knocked off a bunch of white hairs.

Anyways, on the buds with orange, some amber tricomes are present. Maybe 10% orange hairs and 10% amber tricomes.

But that is only on the top bud site and only on 3 buds. It is the medium plant with the thicker, fuller buds!

Progress!

You probably cant see the hairs in this light.

DSCN36832.JPG

DSCN36822.JPG

I have been reading up on humidity, as mine is at 50 - 60%.

I read that 40% will help the plants grow a lot more bud resin.

So I bought one for $200 from a local store.

Now the room is really warm...... Any thoughts?

I have a portable AC and a dehumidifier in the room. They are both large, but the room is only 10' x 10'

I have 720 actual draw watts of LEDs in the tent, and yes, they do produce a great deal of heat.

Now that I have the clones in there, there is a lot of humidity. I put 5 fans in the tent to try to evaporate faster....

The Blue Dream sprouted fine. The Lemon Skunk Haze is having trouble with the first 2 leaves unfolding...

Containers? Those are just standard "el cheapo" nursery pots. The tops of the plants get so big, any container is fine, as they will never be as large as the canopy.

I know my title is CFL, but I ended up with LEDs. My V-8 of 23 watt CFLs worked great over a single plant. It was 184 actual watts.

I had a T-5 fixture in my shed. It caught on fire when in insect crawled in the contact points on one end. Now I am nervous of them.

It didn't actually cause a fire, but it melted part of the fixture.

I had a T-5 fixture in my shed. It caught on fire when in insect crawled in the contact points on one end. Now I am nervous of them.

It didn't actually cause a fire, but it melted part of the fixture.

It probably looked dramatic, but really this is the common result from a failure caused by a short. You get a bit of local scorching and some plastic melting, but there's little to actually ignite and the device or fixture fails safe (off) after.

I've seen it in high end SANs from a half dozen manufacturers, vacuums, PCs, game consoles, just about anything with electricity coming into it. Most recently in the switch on my Spider x4.

Not to say it's of no concern, fate loves a small chance.

BUKU Day 70

I am happily upset! I thought I was getting nute burn and a deficiency at the same time.

It ended up being light burn! I had a spot with 4 lights merging.

DSCN36883.JPG
DSCN36874.JPG

I found that out just after I picked up some new nutes, but I will put them to good use anyways.

Got some Hi-Brix molases (I will do a single treatment with that) and some Fox Farm Big Bloom and Tiger something.

I also got a bubbler to treat the water and help mix everything up. A little extra O2 never hurt anyone.

I wanted to see if the biggest buds would produce under the area with the most lights.

Guess not. Now I can shed some better light on the clones.

DSCN36963.JPG

Not to be rude, but those clones look retarded. They have like 3 thick leaves merged into 1 on all of em'...

Whatever, I am happy they were successful in being cloned. Anything beyond that is all good.

DSCN36943.JPG

I tried to turn off a couple lights and take some better pics.

DSCN36932.JPG
DSCN36922.JPG
DSCN36911.JPG
DSCN36902.JPG
DSCN36952.JPG

I am still struggling with the tricome looking. I guess they are mostly clear still.

I keep wanting to just set the scope straight down on the leaf, but then they all look cloudy.

It is difficult to get the side angle on them, that allows all the light to pass through them so they look clear.

I feel like I am crushing them.. Messin em' up....

I hope to start the flush in the next 1 - 3 weeks... They have had flowers for 30 days now.

BUKU Day 74

Looking for some help with the tricomes.

I wanted to be a good little boy and just wait, but I feel some concern.

I still feel like I am seeing some amber on some buds, now about 20%.

I think I can see the amber tricomes with my naked eye because they are grouped together...

I have a 100X scope.

The plastic cover is soooooo sticky... Am I just mowing down trics? More harm than good?

DSCN37061.JPG
DSCN37071.JPG

It's really hard to get the lens to be still on the trics, from top down on a leaf, and more so to get the side angle with the light shining through.

I tried the taking a photo and zooming, but I still can't tell if it is clear or cloudy. Those are close "tones" and I feel like they were all clear a few days ago, and now many are cloudy... But I am not sure.

closer4.JPG

closer21.JPG
closer31.JPG

The smell is enamoring at this point. No longer pine sol. Still a touch of lemon and pine, some lighter fluid, and something sweet and intoxicating.... flowery. The Phresh filter no longer contains it.

I am wondering if some bud is getting close...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I would prefer a more uppy high. I don't want to just fall asleep. But I don't want a headache and I want to feel relaxed.

They have been with flowers for 5 weeks, but I am not sure if a week or 2 prior count on 12/12 to add to that figure???

DSCN37052.JPG
DSCN37041.JPG
DSCN37031.JPG
DSCN37022.JPG
DSCN37014.JPG
DSCN37003.JPG

I hate to say it 1ofaKind, but they look to me like they have another 2 or 3 weeks at least. Not seeing any heavily swollen calyxes (goggle those two words for lots of picture examples to compare against) and the pistils still look plump and haven't shrivelled at all.

Hopefully other, more experienced growers will be by to confirm or deny this for you.

BUKU Day 77

Flowers present for 38 days

I think that makes it 5.5 weeks of flower.

My timer was a little off so I manually adjusted a few times. Maybe that threw the plant off a little?

Anyway, I feel like they are underdeveloped and slow. Maybe a light leak?

I'll wait to see.

Very slow to suck up water. Watering every 5 days.

I checked out Green Knight's grow of a single OG Kush. He had 30 tops and way thicker buds than me, way less light, and still only produced 3 oz @ .7g / kwatt (or something like that).

I thought I would have a half pound for sure. Now I might only get an oz or 2???

Guess I have a lot to learn.

No flush begun yet. Hoping for swollen calyxes.

The medium plant has 50% darkened hairs, but it also has the smallest calyxes. They others have mostly white hairs, but are still skinny. At least I can see a calyx or 2 sticking out on them.

Here is a link to the TH Seeds page I have been complaining about.

Burmese Kush

It says in the narrative description that it is a "quick flowering" 7 week plant.

Then at the bottom it says flowering: 60-65 days.

I emailed them asking what the confusion was all about.

They sent me a request to subscribe to their news letter, but ignored my question :(

But if these take 65 days, that means they get 4 more weeks, and will hopefully still have time to thicken up :)

There's always hope! (even for a half pound!)

IMG_0002381.JPG
IMG_0009311.JPG
IMG_0004388.JPG
IMG_0010319.JPG
IMG_0011290.JPG
IMG_0014250.JPG
IMG_0017238.JPG
IMG_0013274.JPG
IMG_0018233.JPG
IMG_0005371.JPG

Hi all,

I still feel like I am seeing lots of amber tricomes along with the clear and some cloudy tricomes. I am confused.

Finally got some pics up of the situation putting the camera lens through the handscope lense... not the best, but even when I look through, it is hard to focus and see all the trics.... I am so confused.

Any help is appreciated. Here is the problem link:

Lots of amber tricomes but small buds and only 6 weeks in flower

So a swollen calyx is a sure sign of being ready to harvest? That will be easier to see than finding the trics.

In the same way a big tomato is ready for harvest. If it's a big variety, a small fruit can fairly easily be considered too early, but a big one that's partially green still can be debated endlessly.

The only way you'll know for sure, and even them personal bias can creep in, is to experiment. Then it's a matter of deciding if you want to risk on the early side, immature and far less yield, or late and risk some couchlock.

BUKU Day 84

Flowers present for 45 days

Trying my best to hold out.

I just don't see much growth.

Here is a pic of the whole tent

IMG_017147.JPG

Of the lights

IMG_017342.JPG

Temp / Humid has been good. Still a little high with the humidity.

IMG_017244.JPG

The clones are starting to flower

IMG_017046.JPG

I like their even growth. I will definitely keep a mother of the blue dream and lemon amnesia and try some SOG next round!

Here is the tall plant, which seems the farthest away from harvest

IMG_016849.JPG
IMG_016450.JPG

Shorty, also seems a bit far from harvest

IMG_016644.JPG
IMG_016543.JPG

And the Just Right plant........ The itch in my mind to chop at any moment...

IMG_016340.JPG
IMG_016245.JPG
IMG_016142.JPG
IMG_016051.JPG
IMG_015949.JPG
IMG_015850.JPG

I see some calyx swelling, and some new white hairs..... I feel like the trics are not as round headed and uniform as I want, so I will wait.... The best I can.

I'm trying to play with the numbers, too. Skunk magazine says this plant takes 53 - 55 days of flower. TH says 60 - 65.

But what day am I even at? I know it is 45 days with flower, but I hear those numbers are from 12/12. So am I at 52? ish...

Guess I will wait another week. Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom