Bushmans A Sativa Landrace: A Cannapot Sponsored Grow

nickeluring

Thank you, @CannaPot, for sponsoring this grow with seeds.
Bushmans is a landrace Sativa from South Africa. It is supposed to flower in 45 - 48 days which is extremely quick for a Sativa. I'm very curious about this one.
The seeds are regular, and I decided to germinate 4 seeds for 1 keeper. The tent I'm in the process of setting up is 60 x 120 cm (2' x 4'), and I only want 2 flowering plants in there. The tent sister is a Red Mandarine F1 from Sweet Seeds. She's got a flower period of 7-8 weeks, so they should be okay together. I'm only germinating 1 Red Mandarine F1, so I will keep 5 plants in the tent for a few weeks until the Bushmans plants have been sexed.

I'll grow these girls in 11 liter fabric pots with coco. For lighting I'm using a Perfect Sun COB led that pulls 675 W on full power. It's a mix of COBs and blurple LEDs, and it is quite powerful. I'm going to use 33% of that for the seedlings and early veg, and I don't think I'll use more than 66% for late veg and flower. Unless my grow room gets very cold this winter that is, but I doubt it...

I started the germination of the seeds yesterday. My tent is not ready yet, so that gives me a bit of a push to finish setting the tent up. The seeds should be ready to be planted later today or tomorrow, and by then I am supposed to have the tent going. I'm germinating the seeds at 26 degrees C.

The plants will be manifolded. I'll try a more compact manifold than I've done previously.

Germination - 1.jpg

Germination - 2.jpg

I will top them 3 times and only keep the top shoots giving a total of 8 colas.
Ironically, I've been topping mine that way for years and did not know what the "technical" term was.
Thanks @nickeluring for the heads up.

Ironically, I've been topping mine that way for years and did not know what the "technical" term was.
Thanks @nickeluring for the heads up.
Awesome, then you know it's a great way to get big fat colas :high-five:

I am going to follow along so I can compare to my Bushmans, that are still in veg. Good luck in this grow! So far I am finding these plants to be extremely vigorous.
Thanks, Emilya. Yes, you'll be a bit ahead of me. How long do you plan to veg for?

After 48 hrs in my germinator, 4 out of the 5 seeds have got tails. The 5th one has cracked, but no tail is showing. I will germinate one more seed just to be sure to get 4 Bushmans going. Now I'll probably get 5 of them...
Red Mandarine is showing her F1 genes by growing a long tail quickly.

I have planted the 4 germinated seeds, and now I am getting a good kick in my back to get the tent up and running. They have been planted in coco in 1 liter air pots. I am giving them the spa treatment and they get to sit on a seedling heat mat inside the tent. I am still waiting for some gear to be delivered, but I can still get the tent going as soon as the first one pokes its head up. I'm expecting some of them to sprout tomorrow. Red Mandarine is in the white pot, and I expect to see her sprout before the Bushmans.

Germination - 3.jpg

Planting - 2.jpg

24 hours later, having spent 72 hours in the germinator, the 4th Bushmans seed has germinated. Now waiting for the extra seed I started to germinate yesterday. That one will get a normal 1 litre pot since I'm out of air pots.
From the others that were planted yesterday the first Bushmans is starting to break surface. She should have sprouted in a few hours.

Germination - 4.jpg

Today the 5th Bushmans seed germinated and got planted. There are now 3 sprouted Bushmans, 1 that should sprout soon, and the 5th that should sprout tomorrow.

Red Mandarine sprouted with only 1 cotyledon. I have never seen that happen before. I started a new seed as soon as I realised. We'll see if it will grow with only 1 cotyledon leaf....
The new Red Mandarine seed has cracked and will be planted in a few hours. I have to leave the house for the weekend, and I hope the seedlings will be okay on their own.

All - Day 1 - 2.jpg

Red Mandarine #1 - Day 1 - 2.jpg

Here are the babies at 7 days old. It's 5 of them and all good so far. The fifth one almost got hit by a heavy carbon filter when I messed up trying to install it. Bushman #5 fell over when the filter hit the pot, but it seems to be alright. I'll be more careful next time I'll attempt to install it. I will give the exhaust fan a good service while I'm at it.

If anyone knows how small the plants can be when sexing them, please let me know. I want to do it as soon as they allow me to. I'll switch to 12/12 for as long as needed, then I'll switch back to 18/6 again.

Bushmans - Day 7 - 1.jpg

Bushmans - Day 7 - 2.jpg

Bushmans - Day 7 - 3.jpg

Wow! Looking good for 7 days old mate. They wont really start showing until 3 weeks, from what I've experienced, that's even forcing them on a 12/12, which I did on my first ever grow with regular seeds.. it all depends on how happy they are..
I've learned my lesson, never work above plants. I've killed a couple hanging lights :laugh:

Wow! Looking good for 7 days old mate. They wont really start showing until 3 weeks, from what I've experienced, that's even forcing them on a 12/12, which I did on my first ever grow with regular seeds.. it all depends on how happy they are..
I've learned my lesson, never work above plants. I've killed a couple hanging lights :laugh:
Haha, I need to learn that lesson, too.
3 weeks - hmmm, ok. I'll see how they look like when they're 2 weeks, and I might switch then. I'm also planning on topping them about then in preparation for manifolding them.

Haha, I need to learn that lesson, too.
3 weeks - hmmm, ok. I'll see how they look like when they're 2 weeks, and I might switch then. I'm also planning on topping them about then in preparation for manifolding them.
You can only give it a go. They might respond after 2 weeks; It can't really harm anything. Be good to know the results though. Keep us posted:thumb:

I am finding my Bushman's to be very aggressive, and they were the first to show sex between them and the Amnesias in my veg rooms. They didn't show naturally until a couple of weeks after the 5th node rose up and I started training them. They are at 63 days now, and I think I saw the first pistil about 5 days ago. The rest of them and all of the Amnesias will be getting the 12/12 treatment now, until they show. I just started that last night. Good luck with yours... I am watching to see what happens.

I am finding my Bushman's to be very aggressive, and they were the first to show sex between them and the Amnesias in my veg rooms. They didn't show naturally until a couple of weeks after the 5th node rose up and I started training them. They are at 63 days now, and I think I saw the first pistil about 5 days ago. The rest of them and all of the Amnesias will be getting the 12/12 treatment now, until they show. I just started that last night. Good luck with yours... I am watching to see what happens.

Thanks Emilya. I can't wait until they show sex naturally like you do, I have to do it sooner. I don't have the space to let several plants grow large. Besides, I don't really want to waste time training those I won't keep. I want to try some new manifold technique, but not on all of them...

Today at the age of 13 days I made an irrigation system for the little ones. I had to finish it today so I could leave them on their own for the weekend. They will from now on get fed 3 times a day.
The Bushmans are growing very well, the smallest plant of the 6 is the Red Mandarine.
A couple of them were ready for topping today but I'll do them all after the weekend instead.

Resizer_16355364826370.jpg

On Monday all the plants got their first topping. I topped them above node 3.
I decided I'll skip the temporary flowering to weed out the males. I am worried they would stretch twice, and I'm not so keen on that.

Resizer_16359216341390.jpg

Back
Top Bottom