Buysser's Very First Grow - Mars II 1600 Watt Attic Grow Using Growology

buysser

Greetings...
Deep Breath... After hundreds of years of dreaming and many months of stalking the good growers advice and help on 420 magazine I think I'm close enough to start a journal even though the room I've built is not quite ready. Still wrestling with environment.
I appreciate all that have already lent a hand and look forward to learning much more to help others while I move this journal along.

Here's what I know so far.
My room is in an attic in a state that gets very hot, very cold and very humid.. I know, I know but we like it here. :blushsmile: Under it sits an insulated and heated garage that stays mildly warm and cool year round so that will help with the heat of the attic. The footprint of my room is aprox. 11 x 10 with all sorts of odd angles. Essentially I built a box within the attic to not mess with the attic ventilation. It is very well insulated, caulked, duck taped and insulated with refelctix on the inside.
The plant area will be 5x5 initially and then I'll add two more areas on each side with 144x3 TOP LED's.
20140322_170620.jpg

20140701_131028.jpg
20140701_123544.jpg
20140701_123525.jpg
20140701_130829.jpg
Room_dimensions1.jpg

Ventilation
I've got a 340 CFM fan drawing the exhaust from the center of the room in the ceiling and exhausting thru a 15 foot run out the second story roof.
I have a vent in the ceiling of a room in my house drawing air thru a ten foot run into the attic room with another 340 CFM fan. I was hoping that would duplicate my house temperature and humidity in the attic but it has not although it does provide a good source of air coming into the room.
13" oscillating fan moving air and a smaller fan on the ground for air movement below.
I've got a separate dehumidifier in the room but it heats the room up way to much so it's off for now.
I have an Ideal model # 700820 portable air conditioner picked out and plan on buying it first of next week as my final (oh I hope) fix for my heat issue. It is a dual hose that draws air in to cool off compressor and exhausts it out the other hose. No air is exhausted back into the room and also has a self dehumidifier and heat pump included. The problem with portables is that you can't draw too hot air in or it will fry the compressor and there are days it gets well over 100 here so I'm going to draw air in from my garage and vent it out a six inch "Y" thru the roof. Manufacturer says it's worth a try.
In the end, I will tie everything together with a master controller. Amazon - Hydrofarm Autopilot Digital Environmental Controlle and hope for the best.

1667086876892.png

Medium
Soil based on the good folks at Growology's recommendation.
I plan on using it exactly as they suggest. I think a fair analysis for new growers is to do what they say and grow from that. I'll mess around with that later - maybe.

Seeds
I chose ripper toxic because it was quick (must have good product) and potent.
Ripper Toxic Feminised Seeds Specs
Genotype: 60% Sativa.
Indoor flowering: 60/65 days.
Flowering outdoor: Mid October .
Production: High.
Effect: Powerful / Intense.
20140626_191028.jpg

Lighting
I'm using the MARSII 1600 Watt L.E.D. For my size room, I think it's the best choice for the best price on the market that I've found.. Turns night into colored day.
20140625_214834.jpg
20140630_121214.jpg
20140701_123511.jpg

Misc. Rambles
Plan on smart pots transplanting to five, six gallon??
I think I'm going to germinize three seeds and grow all three or two if only two turn out. I have a scrog net but plan on doing some simple low stress training with my first grow. Want to get used to growing and training on a smaller scale before I get to crazy...
I've got a separate area for the nursery although it will only be used for seeds I think, right?
I will need a PH and ppm meter I think...

So thanks for making it this far.. I am really excited to get this heat problem behind me so I can start.. I plan on waiting till I know it's done before I even attempt to germinate the seeds..
don't want to have to worry.

THANKS and please, I want to learn from your comments and or suggestions. It's much appreciated.

Re: Buysser's very first grow. MARSII 1600 watt Attic Grow using Growology

You look to be doing a good job mate. I hope you manage to control your environment ok as it looks like you've go a struggle on your hands. If you need any tips or advice, there's plenty of folks on here willing to hold your hand so don't be afraid to ask :)

Thanks Skunny! Plan on buying the air conditioner today unless this thread turns up some other ideas. It gets tough if this doesnt work then the other option is a mini spilt but I lose stealth and 1600 usd
The wife is not impressed as it is..
:)

Luckily I don't suffer with heat issues in my part of the world but I know running an AC unit can cost a small fortune. I'd be trying my best to cool it via your garage below. A little tip with your ducting is to keep it as straight as possible, a few bends quickly reduces their efficiency.

I live in a 4 season and humid state also and it does come with it's growing challenges but it keeps ya on your toes and it certainly can be done. Your room looks amazing and depending on where you are will decide if you can make the air unit work. Where I am in the states utilities are pretty low so it wouldn't be a problem but I have read on here that some of the utility bills can get incredibly high but I'm sure you've got a handle on your area and I like the a/c idea as it gives you more control.....:popcorn:.....:circle-of-love:

Thanks Denisse
I'm going to keep the air flow coming from the house so hopefully it will only be needed as a small supplement to the house.. I originally had a 70 cfm drawing air from the house that didn't do it so I traded it out for a 340cfm and other then making more noise, it didn't help much...
I'll get it... Not going this far to give up.. Just a matter of how soon my wife gets a new kitchen... :thedoubletake:

subed looks great. i really dig the attic setup. ive done similar setup back before LED hit the scene as something other than supplemental lights so it was super super tough to deal with heat, but LED would have solved my issues.

Looks like you got it covered here GREAT JOB!!!

:high-five:

I was wondering that, I have a very gradual 90 degree turn in my exhaust. Maybe it's just not drawing enough of the hot air out. ?

I don't know how accurate the figures in my Jorge Cervantes book are but he claims a 60% drop off with a 90 bend =/

Wouldn't doubt it that I might not be getting all the heat out of the ceiling although it does suck the odor and such out..

BIG UGH.. That's a tear down the ceiling fix... Having zero experience but reading where the pros are removing heat with exhaust makes me wonder if it's worth going thru the work or just buying the ac...

thanks skunny, appreciate the dialogue.

Is your furnace/air handler in the attic? If so, you can possibly tap into supply and return air.

Warm air is easier to move so 90s in your return air are not as critical, but you could improve it a little by using rigid 90s instead of bending the flex duct. An attic fan would definitely be the most efficient way to get hot air out of the attic. It would also be pulling fresh air into the attic, either through existing gable vents or from the living space. A louvered vent through your attic access door would also help.

No, the furnace is all the way in the basement which is to far to tap into.. Good to hear that 90's aren't critical in return although I have been thinking I need to crawl up in the top part to replace flex with a solid 90 to help with the return air...
I was thinking that pumping any hot air from the attic wouldn't help because it gets really hot up there. Sometimes 100+ when the room is in the 80's... Just my thinking
And it gets darn cold too.
Thanks Maggies

Awesome build on the grow room. One thing I will add is with heat you might look into adding co2. Plants do not mind extra heat when you bring co2 up too 1200ppm. Cost money yes but so does ac and co2 makes plants grow and yield more ac does not. Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best.

Thanks CO. Your 2 cents is much appreciated...
The room has been a true labor of love so far... And dang, that's a great thought with the co2... I haven't got a real good feel for what true temps I'm dealing with between the light, attic, fan and dehumidifier but I'll bet it gets over 85+ on a hot day even with the run from my house going strong.
Then I would bring c02 in, put a humidistat on the demudifier (I don't think the guage is accurate) and keep exhaust and fans going. Right? I guess the question I have is.. How much heat can a plant handle with the c02 adjusted correctly??

I put my main exhaust fan on a timer to shut off for the first 45 min my lights turn on. I have room from 95-98 with 1200ppm and never had a problem ever. I would hookup your lights and let them run for a hour and take a temp reading with and without exhaust running. Veg mode and flower if you have not done that yet. Do all the test you can before plants go in. Keep track of outside room and inside room temps. They go hand in hand.

love the light, i was trying to get quotes for some mars 2 leds but they dont ship to scotland so guess ill just be watching mars2 grows from now on :(

good luck mukker

love the light, i was trying to get quotes for some mars 2 leds but they dont ship to scotland so guess ill just be watching mars2 grows from now on :(

good luck mukker

Do you have any family or friends that do not live in Scotland that you can ship too and they ship to you

Back
Top Bottom