Swampass

Hey guys and gals! Ive been growing for over a year and have had my growing pains if you know what I mean. I have learned one huge thing that made more difference than anything. I thought Id share it with you. I have a 5'x5' grow space with an 80 cfm exhaust fan for ventilation. I have a vent providing fresh air to replace what is exhausted through the ceiling. My plants from last grow did not yield like the stated amount from the seed manufacturer. Im talking not even close! I just assumed its because I'm a newbie and that did prob have alot to do with it. I was doing ok...plants looked good and healthy.....just small. Mid grow this month I added an additional exhaust fan and ran one of them all the time and the other runs on for 30 mins and then off for 30. HOLY SHIT! I found my limiting factor that was holding me back. All three plants grew 2 inches in the first 3 days. I normally got about an inch a week. Im 4 weeks into flowering now and Im confident Ill have yields close to what is stated. I just assumed I was giving the plants enough c02. I guess the more mature they got the more they needed and I wasn't giving it to them. 2 plants are in pro mix and one is bucket dwc. Grow lights are 2-300 watt LED with 3 125 watt cfl's to supplement. Plants are a Royal Queen critical, Blue kush, and atomical haze. Using advanced nutrients 3 part Micro,grow, bloom. Im enjoying the experience and love figuring out all the little things that make so much of a difference.
:idea:

Swamp

Not sure where you might be getting that extra C02 but it was likely heat stress that was dragging things out. When growers add Co2 to the environment we are talking 2000-3000 ppm. Regular atmospheric or c02 in air is about 400ppm. The extra fan was likely only keeping temperatures lower.

Glad the fan is helping either way. If you post more technical info we might be able to help iron out other kinks you may not even know your having. Pictures are also great for assessing plant problems. Head over to the introduce yourself section say hi, and or set up a little journal in the grow log forum. Also don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable people here!

Im pretty sure it was co2 depletion. Its a closed room. Its a temperature controlled space so temp stays at 70. As the plants got larger the co2 demands were much more. So increasing the fresh air intake filled the needs. So Im not supplementing co2. The fresh air intake was not keeping up with the demand. Things you learn from trial and error.

Not sure where you might be getting that extra C02 but it was likely heat stress that was dragging things out. When growers add Co2 to the environment we are talking 2000-3000 ppm. Regular atmospheric or c02 in air is about 400ppm. The extra fan was likely only keeping temperatures lower.

Glad the fan is helping either way. If you post more technical info we might be able to help iron out other kinks you may not even know your having. Pictures are also great for assessing plant problems. Head over to the introduce yourself section say hi, and or set up a little journal in the grow log forum. Also don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable people here!

Plants mass intake is 1500 ppm so I put in 1300ppm to keep a constant 1500 ppm lights on for them. My exhaust runs 15 mins every hour. My garden Layout thread has videos showing co2 setup. Here's a pic with a 50# co2 in background
DSC_19503.JPG

Well the whole point of this post was to express the importance of fresh air intake. Im not supplementing co2 so fresh air is the only means of it. My intake was fine when the plants were small but they out grew the supply. I didnt really spend alot of time considering my intake air when designing my room. The exhaust fan was more for heat dissipation and never really considered the plants other needs and how they changed as the plant matured. So for new growers designing your grow rooms dont assume your fresh air supply is good enough. Just make sure its keeping up with your plants. For me it made a drastic difference when I upped it. I was reading Ed's rosenthals book and he talks about the importance of your intake air and thats what made me take a look at what I was doing. :;):

i guess that i deserved that answer. Does co2 negetively affect the quality of the buds if used throughout the flower stage? If so, when should i stop ?

Back
Top Bottom