CA: Humboldt County Sheriff Speaks To Illegal Marijuana Priorities

Ron Strider

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office wants to make clear how changes in the law affect enforcement of illegal marijuana cultivation in the county.

"I am tired of these people hiding behind medical marijuana. The time is now to come out from the shadows. The state and the county have provided opportunity to become a legitimate operation. There is no more excuse," said Sheriff William Honsal.

The county has seen exponential growth in the illegal production of marijuana over the years.

At this point, only 43 grows in the county have received permits out of an estimated 12,000 sites.

"The fact is the majority of them are still not coming into compliance," said Honsal, "They're still in the black market and so even though we have limited resources we are teaming up with other agencies because these are the people that are polluting and damaging our environment. I feel like it's my job that we go after that."

With the passage of Prop 64, adults over 21 can grow up to 6 plants in their home, have up to an ounce of marijuana and up to 4 grams of concentrated cannabis.

Enforcement is complaint driven, but law enforcement is more focused on larger, more egregious grows.

"We get complaints everyday so we have to vet them through our priority process," added the Sheriff, "I think it's important that the people that are growing lots and lots of marijuana and that are damaging the environment know that they are going to be targeted first."

Just last week, Humboldt County Sheriff's Office Drug Enforcement Unit confiscated over 5,000 marijuana plants at an operation in the area of Hyampom.

The parcel did not have necessary permits, and no application for a permit was on file.

"Get your operation legal - if you don't get your operation legal then Humboldt County Sheriff's Office will be coming and we will be paying you a visit."

If the grower is committing environmental damage along with the cultivation, it could become a felony.

"Also, if they are transporting beyond state lines, people need to understand one thing, it becomes a federal violation," said Honsal, "So the full force of the federal government could be coming down on people. It becomes a very serious offense. At that point in time the federal government could come take everything you have."

Recently, the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors approved the funding for two new Deputy Sheriffs for marijuana enforcement.

"We will make arrests. We will take and destroy all the marijuana that's being grown for the black market and we will get a case up to the district attorney's office to prosecute," said Honsal, "We might not take down every one, but we will start with one. And then go to the next one."

Indoor_Grow_-_Flickr.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Humboldt County Sheriff speaks to illegal marijuana priorities | KIEM TV
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom