CA: Montebello To Require Permit To Grow Marijuana In Your Home

Katelyn Baker

Montebello - Proposition 64, approved by voters more than three weeks ago, allows you to grow up to six marijuana plants inside your home. But in this city you're going to need to get a permit first.

The City Council on Wednesday voted 3-1 vote approved an ordinance imposing regulations on the indoor planting of marijuana plants.

"This is the only thing we couldn't expressly prohibit," said Councilwoman Vanessa Delgado. "We wanted some controls if we have to allow (the use of marijuana). At least the Police Department has something they can go off of if anybody is abusing the law."

OTHER REQUIREMENTS

In addition to requiring a permit, for which the city will charge a still undetermined amount, the proposed law will require that marijuana plants can't be seen outdoors and that odor, light and heat can't be detected from outside.

City staff will bring back a proposed fee schedule to the council when it's asked to approved the second reading of the ordinance.

The proposed new city law also bans the transfer or sale of any of the plants.

The city planning manager, code enforcement officer, and police officers are given the right upon five days notice to enter the home where a permit has been granted and inspect the facilities.

Christopher Cardinale, assistant city attorney, said a warrant still would be needed for a police officer to enter the home to see if they don't have a permit and were growing marijuana.

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS

But the problem of needing a warrant and just how the law will be enforced is why Councilman Bill Molinari said he voted no.

"It's a situation where there's no practical way to enforce it," Molinari said.

"Suppose I put six marijuana plants in my living room and I don't go to the city for a permit, who will know?" he asked. "It's an exercise in frustration because you're passing something you can't enforce." Moratorium vote

The council on a 4-0 vote extended its moratorium or ban for 10 months and 15 days on the sale, possession, and outdoor cultivation of marijuana for recreational use. The city already has a ban on medical marijuana.

Council members said they're not making a decision on whether to allow marijuana businesses in Montebello.

"I want more study on this issue," said Mayor Art Barajas.

"We should have the staff come back with a comprehensive study on whether or not this works for the city," Barajas said. "We can't just say no. Fifty-four percent of the people (in Montebello) voted for recreational marijuana use."

RESIDENTS SPLIT OVER ISSUE

Residents, who spoke Wednesday, were split over whether to extend the moratorium.

Kevin Sainz said the city can get some revenue by allowing marijuana businesses into Montebello.

"This city is changing and the people are changing," Sainz said. "Costco is leaving soon and that will be a big chunk of money. We need forward-thinking ideas."

However, Tela Gregorian said there should be no marijuana dispensaries allowed in the city.

"I'm a registered nurse and I've seen the side effects, not only as a nurse but I have a large family," Gregorian said. "I see what it does to (marijuana users) and what it does to the quality of life. We don't have a big enough police force to handle these problems."

Montebello isn't the only city imposing moratoriums, The La Mirada City Council Tuesday also extended their temporary ban.

RichPedroncelli12.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Montebello To Require Permit To Grow Marijuana In Your Home
Author: Mike Sprague
Photo Credit: Rich Pedroncelli

Back
Top Bottom