CA: Nancy Pelosi - Marijuana Legalization Gets Her Vote

Katelyn Baker

Nancy Pelosi said marijuana legalization in California will get her vote, breaking the House minority leader's silence on Proposition 64 to allow recreational pot and putting her at odds with other top Democrats.

"I will vote for it, but I have not made a public statement about it until right this very second," Pelosi said during a meeting with the Los Angeles Times editorial board members and reporters. Her position is in contrast to California's U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who opposes the measure.

Proposition 64, formally known as the Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use Act, or the Adult Use of Marijuana Act, allows up to one ounce of marijuana flower or eight grams of cannabis concentrates for adults age 21 and older, the personal cultivation of up to six marijuana plants, and the industrial cultivation of hemp, reported Forbes.

Pelosi's position also runs counters to other Democrats, including the Obama administration that has remained "steadfastly opposes legalization of marijuana," reported CNN. Senate minority leader Harry Reid, whose state of Nevada has its own marijuana measure on the ballot Tuesday, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in August that he was "very, very dubious and concerned," about the measure.

"If I had to vote on it now, I wouldn't vote for it," Reid told reporters in August, per the Review-Journal. "That's something we need to look at quite a bit longer. I think it's something that we have to be very careful with."

National Public Radio said marijuana legalization in small amounts for people over 21 is on the ballot in Arizona, Maine, and Massachusetts, as well as California and Nevada. Arkansas, Florida, Montana, and North Dakota are voting on approving marijuana for medical use.

Recreational marijuana is currently legal in Colorado, Alaska, Washington, Oregon and the District of Columbia.

WinMcNamee1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Nancy Pelosi - Marijuana Legalization Gets Her Vote
Author: Clyde Hughes
Photo Credit: Win McNamee

Back
Top Bottom