Cabinet Grow Temp

MadVapper

expensive cabinet and I can't get the temps to stay below 93 degress with 2 135w LED lights & humidity stays around 30% I can't add any more fans or ventilation, am I screwed or can this cabinet still be used? suggestions

Temperatures over 90° can cause stress for your plants so I would do whatever you can to get those temperatures down below 90°, that's my maximum temperature during vegetating for my grows. If you already have some ventilation, you could replace it with a more powerful fan, but typically some form of ventilation is required with grow boxes/tents as well as air circulation within the grow box/tent to keep the air moving around the plants. More information, including pictures, of your grow environment would be helpful in coming up with solutions to your problems. Check out the New Member Start Links link in my signature which contains many useful links including how to upload photos.

Temperatures over 90° can cause stress for your plants so I would do whatever you can to get those temperatures down below 90°, that's my maximum temperature during vegetating for my grows. If you already have some ventilation, you could replace it with a more powerful fan, but typically some form of ventilation is required with grow boxes/tents as well as air circulation within the grow box/tent to keep the air moving around the plants. More information, including pictures, of your grow environment would be helpful in coming up with solutions to your problems. Check out the New Member Start Links link in my signature which contains many useful links including how to upload photos.

This is the cabinet
fullback.jpg

This is the cabinet
fullback.jpg

It appears that there are no vents anywhere in this cabinet, is that true? You will need a least one intake and one exhaust vent at the very least for your grow environment if you want to grow with the cabinet closed. One vent should be located up high and the other down low on the opposite side of the cabinet to promote good air flow throughout the cabinet.

I use ice during the heat of the day. I have a couple of 1 gal. plastic milk jugs I freeze in my freezer then put them in the tent during the day. I also run my lights over the night hours when the heat is less.

Tead, good points that I forgot about. I've used ice before with mixed results, but running lights on during the night is a good suggestion to keeping heat issues in check.

It appears that there are no vents anywhere in this cabinet, is that true? You will need a least one intake and one exhaust vent at the very least for your grow environment if you want to grow with the cabinet closed. One vent should be located up high and the other down low on the opposite side of the cabinet to promote good air flow throughout the cabinet.

Tead, good points that I forgot about. I've used ice before with mixed results, but running lights on during the night is a good suggestion to keeping heat issues in check.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm already doing the night lights & the temp still gets in the 90's over night. I will try the ice jugs. The cabinet has passive intake on the bottom, then 2 fans in the main chamber & 2 exhaust fans up top.

Do you know the CFM rating of those fans and are they actually pushing air out of the cabinet? If you place a lit incense or punk stick near the intake vent with the doors closed and the fans running, you should see smoke entering the intake and exiting the exhaust. You want a complete exchange of air within the cabinet every few minutes or so.

Do you know the CFM rating of those fans and are they actually pushing air out of the cabinet? If you place a lit incense or punk stick near the intake vent with the doors closed and the fans running, you should see smoke entering the intake and exiting the exhaust. You want a complete exchange of air within the cabinet every few minutes or so.

These appear to be standard pc fans, not sure what the CFM rating is for these. If I use 1 LED the temps stay under 90 but would one 135w LED be enough for 3 plants?

If that is the actual wattage used then that should be barely passable for 3 plants, if that is the total wattage then no since LED lights typically draw approximately 50%-75% of the maximum wattage of the diodes. You want around 50 watts per every square foot of plant covered growing space.

Can you elaborate on your mixed results using ice? did it not work? did it harm the plants?

It had no negative impact on the plants but it was not all that effective in my experience, but that could be due to the fact that I was using several smaller ice packs around the base of the plants rather than larger containers of frozen water. I even tried refilling my humidifier with ice cubes to bring down the temperature of the water vapor with little effect on the environment. The only thing that has worked reliably is reducing the heat generated in the first place and to run an inverted light schedule where lights on is at night and lights off is during the day.

Back
Top Bottom