CactusReefer's AZ Desert Autos 2021

Well this is a bittersweet update. I ended up taking the ladies down. 2 were spot on, just a touch of amber trichomes. Pleased with those. The other 2 are probably as much as 2 weeks early. Hard to find amber, probably 50/50 clear to milk ratio. Friday afternoon when I got home, I lifted my shade house to find buds MUNCHED. Not just a little, but big chunks of cola. The culprit?: about a dozen hornworms. I grow tomatoes and peppers, those plants were stripped in 8 hours from them bastards. I was able to remove the adults, but young ones and eggs are pretty hard to spot. I hope they got really high before they perished! So the Strawberry Crumble and the Forum Stomper cross are the 2 that are right where i want them for ripeness. Beautiful trichomes. I tried to get pics but failed miserably. They are also the 2 that suffered the most damage. The Toofless Alien is close, the Samsquanch OG looks worthless lol. Probably wont get a fly high. Ill get dried weight in a few days, but looking like 14-28 grams per plant

PLANT DAMAGE

20210517_182119.jpg
20210517_182103.jpg
20210517_182052.jpg

THE PEST

hornworm.png

BUD SHOTS

20210521_164615.jpg
20210523_084924.jpg
20210523_084937.jpg

The whole top was munched on this big cola. Very ripe and stanky

20210521_160045.jpg

Oh no!! :eek: Thank goodness at least some were ready. Sorry about the others. Hornworms suck!

I also have tomatoes and peppers right next to some of my plants right now, so this is a good reminder to go apply that BT tonight! I haven’t seen any yet but where there are tomatoes.....

Seemed like they showed up over night. I noticed a chunk missing off one plant several days ago, but blamed my son lol. No other damage anywhere at the time, so I never thought about the hornworms. Especially in Cannabis. Note to self for next grow!
I’m going to apply the BT to the tomatoes for now. I know BT is supposed to be safe for cannabis but do people use while in bloom? Is it safe if your harvesting within a couple weeks?

Well, here is probably the last post in this one. Buds have dried and been curing in the closet. They are nice and sparkly with trichomes. 3 have nice smell, the other smells like cattle feed haha. I think the 2 biggest factors that held these ladies back were the damn hornworms, but moreso the time spent in shade. I may have overdone this in fear of wind burn. It was often windy, sometimes hot...almost hair dryer effect. Density just wasnt there. A little loose on the trim. Final weights and comments:

Strawberry Mango Crumble
13 grams
Nice fruity smell and taste
Very heady high
5/10
Screenshot_20210603-103428_Gallery.jpg

Forum Stomper x Samsquanch OG
19 grams
Has that old school OG smell, taste is sweet with peppery aftertaste.
Also nice and heady
5.5/10
Screenshot_20210603-125204_Gallery.jpg

Toofless Alien
12 grams
Smells and tastes sour, dank. Love it
Slow creeper heady high
This had the best looking finished product. The indoor version I have of this is much better looking.
6/10
Screenshot_20210603-125822_Gallery.jpg

Samsquanch OG
14 grams
Looks and tastes like shit
Zero high
Been stunted enough times, never had a chance. Gets a 2 because it at least flowered and is still better than the brick shit we used to smoke lol
2/10
Screenshot_20210603-130253_Gallery.jpg

All in all I am satisfied. I went in to this with low expectations because of my lack of experience with autos, as well as transitional weather here in the desert foothills. Ill need to be more proactive about pests next grow and give them more time in direct sun. Well, now to focus on finishing my indoor queen. Inside of 2 weeks left to harvest. Feel free to drop in, thanks for hangin! :ganjamon:

Well, here is probably the last post in this one. Buds have dried and been curing in the closet. They are nice and sparkly with trichomes. 3 have nice smell, the other smells like cattle feed haha. I think the 2 biggest factors that held these ladies back were the damn hornworms, but moreso the time spent in shade. I may have overdone this in fear of wind burn. It was often windy, sometimes hot...almost hair dryer effect. Density just wasnt there. A little loose on the trim. Final weights and comments:

Strawberry Mango Crumble
13 grams
Nice fruity smell and taste
Very heady high
5/10
Screenshot_20210603-103428_Gallery.jpg

Forum Stomper x Samsquanch OG
19 grams
Has that old school OG smell, taste is sweet with peppery aftertaste.
Also nice and heady
5.5/10
Screenshot_20210603-125204_Gallery.jpg

Toofless Alien
12 grams
Smells and tastes sour, dank. Love it
Slow creeper heady high
This had the best looking finished product. The indoor version I have of this is much better looking.
6/10
Screenshot_20210603-125822_Gallery.jpg

Samsquanch OG
14 grams
Looks and tastes like shit
Zero high
Been stunted enough times, never had a chance. Gets a 2 because it at least flowered and is still better than the brick shit we used to smoke lol
2/10
Screenshot_20210603-130253_Gallery.jpg

All in all I am satisfied. I went in to this with low expectations because of my lack of experience with autos, as well as transitional weather here in the desert foothills. Ill need to be more proactive about pests next grow and give them more time in direct sun. Well, now to focus on finishing my indoor queen. Inside of 2 weeks left to harvest. Feel free to drop in, thanks for hangin! :ganjamon:
Quite the variety. I harvested and hung my gg outdoor auto. I'm kinda disappointed with apparent yield but tester buds are good to go. The desert conditions kinda harsh for cannabis. If I try it next year I'll start a few weeks sooner.

Nice detailed report! Sorry about the ones that were shitty, it made me laugh but probably you’re right, I’m sure it’s better than the dirt weed. Lol They all look awesome! Congratulations! And glad I was able to learn along with you!

Of course! You’re always welcome! The more the merrier. For my summer photos you’ll either see a spectacular failure, or 10 ft monsters, lol

We need a big one this year. Last 2 summers had minimal rain. Dewpoints have been up a little here, not monsoon levels, but it was 88 at 4am yesterday. Topped out at 106. I remember long ago a buddy had a schwag plant in the back yard. Grew insane all summer long. Central Phoenix. Had to keep it pinned down or it would peek over the neighbors wall

We need a big one this year. Last 2 summers had minimal rain. Dewpoints have been up a little here, not monsoon levels, but it was 88 at 4am yesterday. Topped out at 106. I remember long ago a buddy had a schwag plant in the back yard. Grew insane all summer long. Central Phoenix. Had to keep it pinned down or it would peek over the neighbors wall
We got zero rain last summer. In 2020 we went 280 days with no rain. Even the saguaro cactus are struggling

Even the saguaro cactus are struggling
They are! Many out here are blooming all up and down the arms which I guess is a survival mechanism. Let’s all do our rain dances for 2021.

Well, thatll do it for this first grow. Its been a learning experience for sure, especially with 1st auto grow. Love em. Will try another outdoor auto this fall, sometime in September. I think they will do better going into a cooler season, as short as they are here. Thanks for hangin out, good luck to all...should be chopping my indoor auto very soon, maybe 7-10 days if ya wanna roast one over there
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom