Cal Mag

LowcountrySC

Is this a necessity for all soil grows? First timer here and I just switched to 12/12. Am I flirtin with disaster by not using it. Is it more necessary at certain times of the grow cycle? Thanks for any advice!

Are you using LED lighting? Plants generally transpire less under LED, and this difference means that Calcium and Magnesium ions can be less mobile under LED resulting in deficiencies.

Municipal water usually has chloramine, a mix of ammonia and chlorine, added to it. Chlorine will evaporate if you let the water sit overnight, the ammonia can sometimes cause problems. There are filters available to remove the chloramine.

If the TDS of you well water is below about 200PPM you should be fine with that.

If you have unwanted chemical compounds in either well or municipal water, you can use a Reverse Osmosis filter (RO) to eliminate more than 90% of them. My well water is very hard, and contains more than ten times the arsenic allowed by Health Canada. I use an RO for drinking, cooking, and my plants.

If you have hard water, General Hydroponics has a 'Flora Micro' that is specially formulated for use with it in hydroponic systems. As you are growing in soil, that's not applicable. Watch your plants. As I previously mentioned they will let you know if you have too much or too little of any nutrient.

Are you using LED lighting? Plants generally transpire less under LED, and this difference means that Calcium and Magnesium ions can be less mobile under LED resulting in deficiencies.
Thanks. I am using an led light, but everything looks good so far. Was wondering if there was a certain phase of the grow that it usually becomes noticeable?

Everything looked good for me as well till week 5 or 6 of flower on one plant.

The thing is I was using cal mag and it still hit the one plant.

I increased calmag to her and she stopped the deficiency.

I grow in soil and led.

Thanks. I am using an led light, but everything looks good so far. Was wondering if there was a certain phase of the grow that it usually becomes noticeable?
From my experience it can happen pretty much anytime. Just monitor for any sign of a calcium or magnesium deficiency. I typically feed with full nutes and then just plain water every other watering, but since I've been using LED I add extra cal/mag with every watering. Haven't had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom