California Debate: Woman Treats Ailing Dog With Marijuana Treats

Jacob Redmond

Medical marijuana has been used to treat muscle spasms, nausea from cancer chemotherapy and seizure disorders among other illnesses in humans.

But does medicinal marijuana ease pain in dogs as well?

One day before a scheduled vet appointment to euthanize her dog, a California woman decided to give her ailing 15-year-old labrador mix cookies from a marijuana dispensary made specifically for dogs, according to Quartz.com.

To the surprise of the woman, her labrador Kali stopped licking her paws - a sign of pain according to the vet- after 20 minutes. After giving Kali two more marijuana-laced treats, the woman noticed the dog got up to drink water and go outside, which Kali couldn't previously do without noticeable pain.

The woman then canceled the vet appointment because of how responsive Kali was after eating the cookies.

But as Quartz.com reports, without industry guidelines nor scientific evidence to back the treats, the pet-pot market is straddling a legal gray area that raises challenges for companies that want to distribute cannabis-derived products for animals.

However, that isn't stopping investors and companies from getting on board with the idea.

51033.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: California woman treats ailing dog with marijuana treats, debate about pet-pot industry ensues - newsnet5.com Cleveland
Author: Mario Kalo
Photo Credit: Auntie Dolores
Website: newsnet5.com | Local Breaking News, Weather, Sports | WEWS-TV NewsChannel5 | Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Ohio

This is amazing, I have two seven year old golden retrievers who have pain in their tendons to paws and hips. Can anyone recommend a receipt I can make on my own or can I order these treats? Thank you

This is amazing, I have two seven year old golden retrievers who have pain in their tendons to paws and hips. Can anyone recommend a receipt I can make on my own or can I order these treats? Thank you

There are many doggie treat recipes on the net that you can use. Remember, no cocoa products and very little sugar. Also remember dogs are not humans so their weight is not the only thing to take into consideration when whipping up a batch of treats. All cannabis must be decarboxylated. This is done by heating the cannabis at a low heat (200-400 degrees) for 6-12 hours in unsalted butter or coconut oil or a vegetable oil that is good for your dog. You must make sure the cannabis oil does not burn, so stirring every 15 minutes or so is necessary. As a "normal" human dosage would be 1/2oz. of cannabis for a small batch of brownies or oatmeal cookies (12 brownies, 24 cookies) to one full oz. of cannabis, depending on your past tolerance to cannabis exposure. A dog will be much less and eaten less often. Dogs do not know what is happening if they are exposed to psychotropic drugs, as cannabis can be, so go for cannabis strains that are low in THC and hight in CBD's for your dog's pain. Stay with your dog and watch closely for any aggressive tendencies, paranoia, nervousness or discomfort. If any animal eats cannabis it is metabolized in the liver. So if your pet has liver problems this may not be the best way to provide help. Provide lots of water and small doses of his/her special treats. Good luck and be conservative with this treatment for your pet. The strain of cannabis that you choose will be of special significance in your pet's tolerance to cannabis. Different animals react differently, so what is good for your dog, may not be good for your cat. If you vape, your dog may be comforted by getting a contact high from your vaping. Just blow the smoke gently into his facial area. Now the cannabis is metabolized in the blood through exchange in your lungs or your pet's lungs. Hope this helps.

Thank you nvhorseman for the advise. Since I live in a state that will probably drag their feet when or if mmj is ever passed I don't have access to low thc weed but I do cape and I will try the contact high thing. When I'm vaping my dogs look at me like I'm doing something wrong (make me feel guilty lol) soon giving them a contact high may be a challenge but what the hey I'll give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom