California High Court Defines Caregiver' Narrowly In Medpot Law

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The California Supreme Court on Monday for the first time defined "caregiver" as it relates to medical marijuana growing and struck down a line of defense that many marijuana growers have used when faced with prosecution.

According to the Court, a caregiver must have a consistent relationship with the medical marijuana patient and one that existed before the use of medical marijuana. It specifically looked at the wording of the medical marijuana law, Prop. 215, which defines a caregiver as the person who has "consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person." The Court concluded that simply supplying someone with medical marijuana - or even taking them to the doctor now and then - does not make you a caregiver for the purpose of protecting you from prosecution for cultivating and transporting marijuana.

The California Supreme Court's decision stems from a case in Santa Cruz County in which Roger Mentch was convicted of marijuana cultivation and transportation even though he had two people testify that he provided them with medical marijuana and he testified that the more than 175 marijuana plants growing in his home were solely for either his own medicinal use or medical marijuana sales.

Mentch's defense was based on his contention that he was protected from prosecution by his role as a caregiver for others, defined by him as the person who took responsibility for a medical marijuana patient's health by providing that patient with marijuana.

But he was convicted in trial court. He had the conviction reversed on appeal by arguing that the trial court judge should have instructed the jury that he conceivably had a caregiver defense.

The California Supreme Court, however, decided to take the case in order to define caregiver in the law and since it went on to define caregiver as much more than supplying marijuana, the court concluded that the trial judge had correctly omitted the caregiving defense in the instructions to the jury and that Mentch's appeal had no basis.

The legal and law enforcement community in Mendocino County was still digesting the ruling Tuesday, but comments were sent out from California NORML, the organization dedicated to decriminalizing marijuana growing.

Calling the court's action, "a blow to medical marijuana providers," CalNORML stated, "The Court's ruling effectively limits the caregiver defense to relatives, personal friends and attendants, nurses, etc. In particular, it excludes its use by medical marijuana buyers' clubs,' retail dispensaries and delivery services. The remaining legal defense for medical marijuana providers is to organize as patient cooperatives and collectives, which are legal under SB 420."

"The Mentch decision highlights the inadequacy of California's current medical marijuana supply system," said CalNORML coordinator Dale Gieringer. "The law needs to allow for professional licensed growers, as with other medicinal herbs."

Confusion over who qualified as a caregiver led to what some communities believed was the abuse of the medical marijuana compassionate use law. Marijuana growers, some growing medical marijuana and some simply growing for the commercial market, would display "caregiver" cards, which because of the confusion over the law was often enough to protect them from prosecution or which they successfully used in their defense in court. Cases in Mendocino County - - including one on Walker Road in Willits where several pounds of dried marijuana and hundreds of marijuana plants had to be left alone by deputies because the grower displayed 19 "caregiver" cards - led to a voter backlash in this county called Measure B, which sought to limit medical marijuana growing to the state regulations of six mature or 12 immature plants. Although Measure B passed in June, the state regulations are now up in the air and will also be clarified by the California Supreme Court, which has agreed to review them.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Ukiah Daily Journal, The (CA)
Copyright: 2008 The Ukiah Daily Journal

Calling the court's action, "a blow to medical marijuana providers," CalNORML stated, "The Court's ruling effectively limits the caregiver defense to relatives, personal friends and attendants, nurses, etc. In particular, it excludes its use by medical marijuana buyers' clubs,' retail dispensaries and delivery services. The remaining legal defense for medical marijuana providers is to organize as patient cooperatives and collectives, which are legal under SB 420."

It's hard to believe that 12 years after 215 passed, we still don't have the rules sorted out.

I mean damn, the AG just issued guidelines for police - now the court has contradicted.

The states' website on MMJ presently defines a caregiver as follows:

A primary caregiver is a person who consistently assumes the responsibility for the housing, health or safety of the applicant (patient). This may be an individual or the owner, operator or employee of an appropriately licensed clinic, facility, hospice, or home health agency. As a primary caregiver you cannot apply for a card for yourself. Your patient must apply for you.

Medical Marijuana Program

It's BS if the court has redefined the meaning.

The CA Supremes seem to be going a bit rogue and making things up as they go along. They did this with gay marraige once and are considering doing it again, they've screwed us on MMJ rulings in the past (with no legal basis in my opinion). Now it seems as if they have decided to rule from the bench yet again.

Watch, next they'll define patients as only those people emprically proved to have once had a qualifying disease (aka already deceased)

Where's my pitchfork and torch it's time to march.

How many other drug manufacturer have to basically live with each of their users? If the Feds put this on Phiser it would put the out of business over night! You think the Feds are trying to keep our weed down? Write your rep and let Obama know how you feel about this plot to allow the corporations to maintain control of our lives and deny our rights as free American citizens.

Give me liberty or give me death!

Crazy idea for everyone:

How about if we make a law where it's only legal to sell weed if your customers are adults who want to buy it.

Under this system it would be completely illegal to sell weed to people who don't want to buy it. All people who don't like weed would, therefore, be protected by the law. No one could make them buy it. Meanwhile, people who like weed would also be protected. Medical patients for whom weed is their only option to avoid chronic pain or crippling nausea would also be protected.

I call this concept "freedom." It has a tested track-record when applied to automobiles, fish tanks, umbrellas, toast, and nearly every other object that people either produce or desire. Why not give it a try with cannabis? I think everyone would be pleasantly surprised with the results.

I second darkrail we must find a way to use our combined strength and make this happen. I sure like that far out freedom idea sounds like the perfect solution wonder why our so called leaders haven't thought of this? Could it be the millions they are paid to look the other way?

Give me liberty or give me death!

"According to the Court, a caregiver must have a consistent relationship with the medical marijuana patient and one that existed before the use of medical marijuana. It specifically looked at the wording of the medical marijuana law, Prop. 215, which defines a caregiver as the person who has "consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person." The Court concluded that simply supplying someone with medical marijuana - or even taking them to the doctor now and then - does not make you a caregiver for the purpose of protecting you from prosecution for cultivating and transporting marijuana"
This is something that can hurt many patients as well as people who are cargivers>

+I have a copy of the official caregiver form issued by "Peace In Medicine" a dispensary in Sebastopol CA. It is legal, very concise, and what evry dispensary needs to require and independently verify. I relocated back to Ca in '06 specifically for mmj and I'm not going to lie and say I'm not mildly appalled @ the "Wild, Wild, West" attitude which benefits the pot capitalist much more than the patients, imho. I personally support a sysytem where any citizen can pay an annual fee of $1k and get a permit to grow on his/her property/residence as much cannabis as logical. And as far as marketing to non-growers, the Dutch model/CA mmj model works quite well, taxes paid and all.
:rollit:

Back
Top Bottom