California Lawmakers Move Towards Decriminalizing Marijuana

While most Californians and the media in recent months have understandably remained focused on The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 – which seeks to eliminate criminal penalties for the adult personal possession and cultivation of marijuana – state lawmakers in Sacramento have quietly been moving forward on a cannabis liberalization bill of their own.

Senate Bill 1449, which seeks to reduce personal, non-medical marijuana possession penalties from a criminal misdemeanor to an infraction, is now only one vote away from heading to Gov. Schwarzenegger's desk.

On Wednesday, members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety voted 4 to 1 to send the measure to the Assembly floor. (Senate lawmakers had previously voted 21 to 13 in favor of the bill.) Once the full Assembly acts, the measure will go before the Governor for his signature.

Under current law, marijuana possession has a unique status in California law as the only misdemeanor that is not punishable by arrest or jail time. However, offenders must still appear in court, pay a fine ($100), and pay court costs (approximately $200). In addition, defendants who wish to avoid a criminal record must attend a court-ordered diversion program. Defendants who do not attend such a program are saddled with a criminal record for at least two years following their conviction.

By making possession an infraction, Senate Bill 1449 would spare possession offenders time in court or the risk of a criminal record. Instead, they would simply pay a fine.

More information about S.B. 1449 is available from California NORML, and from NORML's 'Take Action Center'.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Opposing Views
Author: NORML
Copyright: 2010 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: California Lawmakers Move Towards Decriminalizing Marijuana

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Yes!

This is a silent event for the most part.

For one thing if you get caught with cannabis your employer now may never find out if this passes the Governor's desk but before Employers were able to find out rather fast.

We still face being fired for Cannabis Medical or not so the powers that be have a Supreme Court ruling in California and Oregon now. We all understand that Economic Government is as much a part of our lives as Legal Government yes?

We have to understand that our freedom is limited by degree and that freedom restricted by degree is the future of "Freedom in the USA."

We are not moving towards a freer nation we are moving away from it from what I can tell.

But this is good news. Who needs a criminal record?

Well, I guess it is some progress. Of course, I would prefer the impunity of not being cited at all as an adult citizen of the state of California.

Come November, let's hope that happens.

You mean sacto is doing something right?!?!?

I love the idea of a fine based "tax" on recreational use. CA still gets some revenue from weed but It avoids the worry of a federal crime when paying tax on a schedule one drug and also doesn't conflict with CA rule against taxing meds.

You know that if the Legislature were too actually do it's job and write a good law without a lot of "Grey" areas the state of CA. would be better off than if one is passed by the voters.

I think maybe they have finally figured this out, as they have touched on this issue so may times this year alone, I hope they pass something before the Nov. election but I'm not holding my breath as they seem totally INCAPABLE of doing so.

Also a "Grey" area law will cost a lot of money when people challenge criminal charges or any part of it in CA. courts. That in itself is reason enough for them to pass something to help their Voting populace achieve what the masses want.

Also now mabe with this bill we can work on getting our brothers in arms out of jail vs the other bill that is trying to be passed. This will cover all age groups I hope!

Very nice... Looks like they are trying to keep people out of jail as per the largest age group being 15-24. Now this is what I was talking about. Basically decriminalizes marijuana for everyone. Now hopefully LE can go after the big stuff and leave us stoners alone.

Still doesn't help growers and sellers yeah so much better than LEGALIZATION.

Also now mabe with this bill we can work on getting our brothers in arms out of jail vs the other bill that is trying to be passed. This will cover all age groups I hope!

I think you are missing the point of this bill...

Under current law, marijuana possession has a unique status in California law as the only misdemeanor that is not punishable by arrest or jail time. However, offenders must still appear in court, pay a fine ($100), and pay court costs (approximately $200). In addition, defendants who wish to avoid a criminal record must attend a court-ordered diversion program. Defendants who do not attend such a program are saddled with a criminal record for at least two years following their conviction.

By making possession an infraction, Senate Bill 1449 would spare possession offenders time in court or the risk of a criminal record. Instead, they would simply pay a fine.

so it is not doing anything now, except for making it so you don't have to goto to court,, just pay a fine and move on... it does nothhing for those in jail, it does nothing for the crimes that caused people to goto jail. it does nothing for the youth, it does nothing except say,, well, if you had to goto court before,, now you don't,, just pay us the fine,, and now we woun't make you goto that stupid school either..

how can you say that is better than legalization?

Sorry...lol. I was thinking it was the other bill. Sorry guys and gals for not reading it. However this is still not to bad... it will clear up the courts and everyone just needs to stay under the limits.

Sorry...lol. I was thinking it was the other bill. Sorry guys and gals for not reading it. However this is still not to bad... it will clear up the courts and everyone just needs to stay under the limits.

well, it will help in that regard,,, but you're still F'd for growing,,, right?

Yup... unless you are a med patient. But again... I think this bill will be the demise of alot of people... I have a feeling the fed will start going after rec users and growers and most likely turn an eye from mmj grows and patients. The fed does not care... and with the whats his name being sent to train the DEA... I think some people are going to be in trouble. We need a bill that will make them leave everyone alone and if they don't... they will be held accountable.

Back
Top Bottom